520i E60 - underpowered?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
HI K3nny

That's a lof of problems for the 5 series. Now I got to rethink my strategy of whether to get a grey import or a locally assembled model

I agree the gear box giving way so fast is a big shock, my 05 Honda Accord's clocked 100k kms and it's still running fine

Incidentally I do go to North Port a lot cause it's my customer, maybe we could catch up next time I'm down there

Hahaha, I guess owning the UDM, there's always a bit of luck factor involved here :)

Honestly, I would support buying new rather getting secondhand unit especially if the price is above 200k. And it is better to buy directly from AB or their dealers rather than buying those recons or grey importer units.

E46Fanatic: Thats the thing.. Im a true advocate of not being penny-wise, pound foolish.

Pay more now, but hey, i have a good and satisfactory ownership, for the first 3 years at least. I know that if anything goes wrong, im covered.

And it WILL go wrong with BMW's. :)

Pay less now, but when something goes wrong and if i can afford the 5 digit bill, then the car sleeps in the workshop.

Not worth it in my opinion seeing as option one has me paying more but in instalments which on a monthly term isnt that hard.

Option two sees me paying big ass bills which i potentially might not be able to afford.

bmwjunkie: At the end of the day, whichever your choice turns out to be, the E60 is a great car and a pleasure to drive.

No one said that Mercedes' are without problems. Believe me. The problems are abundant as well and equally expensive to rectify.

Once upon a time they were reliable. Now? Probably worst than BMW if i had my say.

I work near North Port in the industrial area. Feel free to buzz me at 012-3893937 if you're ever in the area. Essentially, a Mercedes-Benz is like marrying a 30 year old something divorcee.

She's experienced enough to please you, shes been thru a divorce so you know shes reliable enough to be there for you and not stray, and yet shes abit worn out and boring due to her age that you sometimes lose passion for her.

A Lexus will be like marrying a librarian.

Shes reliable, does a good job at whatever she does and will never let you down.

A BMW however is like marrying a 18yr old slut, if i may be so crude.

Shes not so reliable, often leaves you in a lurch and when she decides to spend, she spends BIG...

She sometimes leaves you without her for quite awhile when she decides to spruce herself up by modifications because there are so much available cosmetics out there to make herself look better..

BUT when you decide to "ride" her, she will "ride" the living hell out of you and it will be the ride of your life. :)

BMW's are passionate cars but with passion comes problems and with boredom comes reliability. :D

Ha ha, well said... could not have done it better.:D :D

k3nny;212644 said:
E46Fanatic: Thats the thing.. Im a true advocate of not being penny-wise, pound foolish.

Pay more now, but hey, i have a good and satisfactory ownership, for the first 3 years at least. I know that if anything goes wrong, im covered.

And it WILL go wrong with BMW's. :)

Pay less now, but when something goes wrong and if i can afford the 5 digit bill, then the car sleeps in the workshop.

Not worth it in my opinion seeing as option one has me paying more but in instalments which on a monthly term isnt that hard.

Option two sees me paying big ass bills which i potentially might not be able to afford.

bmwjunkie: At the end of the day, whichever your choice turns out to be, the E60 is a great car and a pleasure to drive.

No one said that Mercedes' are without problems. Believe me. The problems are abundant as well and equally expensive to rectify.

Once upon a time they were reliable. Now? Probably worst than BMW if i had my say.

I work near North Port in the industrial area. Feel free to buzz me at 012-3893937 if you're ever in the area. Essentially, a Mercedes-Benz is like marrying a 30 year old something divorcee.

She's experienced enough to please you, shes been thru a divorce so you know shes reliable enough to be there for you and not stray, and yet shes abit worn out and boring due to her age that you sometimes lose passion for her.

A Lexus will be like marrying a librarian.

Shes reliable, does a good job at whatever she does and will never let you down.

A BMW however is like marrying a 18yr old slut, if i may be so crude.

Shes not so reliable, often leaves you in a lurch and when she decides to spend, she spends BIG...

She sometimes leaves you without her for quite awhile when she decides to spruce herself up by modifications because there are so much available cosmetics out there to make herself look better..

BUT when you decide to "ride" her, she will "ride" the living hell out of you and it will be the ride of your life. :)

BMW's are passionate cars but with passion comes problems and with boredom comes reliability. :D

K3nny,

You are one funny fellow. The best analogy yet I've read of Mercs, Lexus and BMWs :p

One of my friend's 1 year old 523 just came out with ABS and some funny lights warning already, now it's turn to wonder about the quality of the 5 series too....

I think the quality of BMW's have all the while been inconsistent anyways but nevertheless, the E60 is not a bad car.

Its just that with a sh1t load of electronic aids, some electronics itself are gonna need some aid.

Naturally as the cars are not 100% machine assembled/built. Watch the E46 being built video and you will see alot of human intervention. Especially when it comes to connecting sockets etc.

Ever heard the saying "no human is perfect?"

Even then, before these sockets reached the BMW factory, it could have had some damage or human errors already at the company that BMW OEM's it from..

So with a car that has SOOO much electronics, and given that manufacturing has its rejection rates, something is bound to go wrong in someones car sometime.

Its just that 1 steering fails out of every 100 and 1 gearbox out of every 100.

So hey, my steering went. I doubt my gearbox will. Cant be that sueh lar but someone elses will and their steering will be fine.. :D

Its a bright sunny monday morning.. And i just got a call from Sapura Auto.. I got excited thinking my car was ready for collection..

But it seems, now, that my rear axle needs replacement too!

Seemingly there is freeplay in the rear axle which is causing knocking noises and is going to require replacement.

I suspect they are going to rebuild my whole car with brand new parts! :p

Top Bottom