ZF gearbox is maintenance free?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
watch this ZF video.. they explained why BMW say "Maintenance Free"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUCl9Rc-tr8

Correction, the ATF is lifetime.

Life Time ATF

I just wish these 2 idiots - BMW and ZF can settle the issue between them. Instead of dragging us into the fray. ZF making statements to contradict BMW. Our skepticism of such concept as lifetime or maintenance free despite it's been around a while, fuelled our fears.

There is only one thing you need to remember; BMW is the party that warrants your car/gearbox and not ZF, not the "experts", nor the SC. You will not have any ground to stand on if you encounter any problems by following ZF's or other people's recommendation in deference to terms and conditions laid down by BMW. ZF and these parties will not pay for any subsequent damage nor the cost to defend your action.

Be aware of this. If you chose to change your ATF, do it with the knowledge that BMW has the right to refuse any warranty claims concerning the gearbox.

If you are willing to forego the BMW warranty, or you are no longer under BMW warranty, you can change your ATF as often as you want or as you deemed necessary or as much as your pocket can take.

It is a common belief that the ATF will last up to 100K. So many will not push their ATF beyond 100K. So you can even replace it at 10K if you want or feel you need it because of your driving style. Many heavy duty users chose to change it at around 50K or less. That was when warranty was only 1 year and there is no such concept as lifetime or maintenance free. Whether it is worthwhile to change the ATF at 50K or less, is anybody's guess. It is preventative maintenance first and foremost. Some do it earlier to fix a problem with their gearbox

Enjoy your car instead of worrying or questioning too much about this and listening to too many people who only serve to confuse you. When your warranty is over or earlier do whatever you want.

Tiaraz Residence said:
Lifetime defines by bmw is 100k km. So pleaae change atf before that
Care to show us a document or any evidence to the effect.

Cos from my enquiries with BMW, they firmly state that the oil in the ZF gearbox on the F30 is lifetime which means there is no need to change the oil for the life of the gearbox. If the gearbox doesn't break by 200K km, then you can continue to use it without changing the oil.

Not that I will. I changed mine irrespective of BMW.

saat said:

Cos from my enquiries with BMW, they firmly state that the oil in the ZF gearbox on the F30 is lifetime which means there is no need to change the oil for the life of the gearbox. If the gearbox doesn't break by 200K km, then you can continue to use it without changing the oil.

nzs said:

Bro,
Please change your ATF in between 40k and 60k max. That was my experience maintaining e90 320D for the last 8 years. Make sure to flush everything ( residues) in the torque converter also. I replaced the rear axle oil within that intervals also and u will notice sudden change in torque and car performance. I used ZF original oil. A bit costly but it's worth it before u rock your gearbox.

nzs said:
Bro,
Please change your ATF in between 40k and 60k max. That was my experience maintaining e90 320D for the last 8 years. Make sure to flush everything ( residues) in the torque converter also. I replaced the rear axle oil within that intervals also and u will notice sudden change in torque and car performance. I used ZF original oil. A bit costly but it's worth it before u rock your gearbox.
Bro, care to share a good workshop that did your GB oil change and the cost involved and parts that you changed? Planning to do mine at 100k km. Now is about 86k km. Hence its coming soon.

nzs said:
Bro,
I already did and have always done for all my gearboxes during my more than 40 years of motoring and motorsport. I have always done it beteern 50K-100K km and even less for my track cars and speeders because of my driving style. There was no issue before BMW introduced lifetime ATF. For both my F30 and F32 I do it as preventative maintenance in deference to BMW and on my own volition foresaking the warranty.

But I would not be so brave to interprete BMWs definition of lifetime. So unless someone has clear evidence of a dispensation of this, my advise is for all to clear it with BMW before doing it or advising other. It will effect your warranty.

F10 CREW said:
Bro, care to share a good workshop that did your GB oil change and the cost involved and parts that you changed? Planning to do mine at 100k km. Now is about 86k km. Hence its coming soon.
I did it at AB Glenmarie when the car was still under warranty. Of course i paid separately for that. Out of warranty i did my ATF at German Marque glenmarie, shah alam. Recent ATF and Axle oil changed was as below:

1. ATF - RM90/litre; total 6 litres, oil pan (for my model i had to change the pan as well) RM450

2. Axle Oil - RM250/litre; total 2 litres

Labour for 1&2 above was RM200

saat said:
I already did and have always done for all my gearboxes during my more than 40 years of motoring and motorsport. I have always done it beteern 50K-100K km and even less for my track cars and speeders because of my driving style. There was no issue before BMW introduced lifetime ATF. For both my F30 and F32 I do it as preventative maintenance in deference to BMW and on my own volition foresaking the warranty.

But I would not be so brave to interprete BMWs definition of lifetime. So unless someone has clear evidence of a dispensation of this, my advise is for all to clear it with BMW before doing it or advising other. It will effect your warranty.
With warranty send to SC and pay for it and without warranty u can even d.i.y at home if you wish. Simple init?

Top Bottom