X5 E53 LH Side Mirror Motor

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

koh_424

Club Guest
Recently my father's X5 LH side mirror got problem. When the time he wan to flip the side mirror, the motor r running but the mirror not moving. It just creating gear cracking sound.Need help bout tis matter urgently. :20::20:

I think the worm gear is worn out.

Your problem is similar to beemerback X5. I have open up his
LH window and found that the worn gear have worn out.

can hear the motor turning but it is not folding.

i am ordering the motor from taiwan for him. waiting for quotation.

koh_424;718127 said:
Thanks bro.

My father have replace the worn off motor.

Now come new problem. The rear brake light been hit by lorry just now. So have to find & replace it. :(

Any idea how much you dad paid for the motor with worm gear?

jarance;718128 said:
Any idea how much you dad paid for the motor with worm gear?

Hey bro, the motor bout RM1000 include all the shipping method. Installation done by my father's fren. So is FOC :p

Do u know how much is the X5 yr04 rear brake light?

Broken 1pc need replace ASAP.

i got the motor for us$65 including freight charges.

but they are from taiwan.

jarance;718142 said:
i got the motor for us$65 including freight charges.

but they are from taiwan.

Woo~~tat was cheap :).

Thanks for sharing bro.

R u driving X5 as well?

Any idea where can i get the rear brake light?

koh_424;718146 said:
Woo~~tat was cheap :).

Thanks for sharing bro.

R u driving X5 as well?

Any idea where can i get the rear brake light?

no lar, i drive an e46. was helping my friend e53 to find out what wrong with his mirror.

just a hobby to learn new thing.

jarance;718148 said:
no lar, i drive an e46. was helping my friend e53 to find out what wrong with his mirror.

just a hobby to learn new thing.

Haha..i also helping my father only.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Cheers.

jarance;716309 said:
I think the worm gear is worn out.

Your problem is similar to beemerback X5. I have open up his
LH window and found that the worn gear have worn out.

can hear the motor turning but it is not folding.

i am ordering the motor from taiwan for him. waiting for quotation.

Bro Jarance,

I think I'm having the same symptoms as this. Is this difficult to DIY? I saw the video and it looks very intricate. I tried to open up the mirror also got problem. I'm afraid it'll break if I force it too hard.

Can ask for your help to do this? I'm good in mechanical stuff but this small small electrical parts too delicate for me. Let me know. Thanks.

525i;748235 said:
Bro Jarance,

I think I'm having the same symptoms as this. Is this difficult to DIY? I saw the video and it looks very intricate. I tried to open up the mirror also got problem. I'm afraid it'll break if I force it too hard.

Can ask for your help to do this? I'm good in mechanical stuff but this small small electrical parts too delicate for me. Let me know. Thanks.

the DIY is quite simple. Just order the part. (the motor with the worm gear) and I can help you fix it.

I got the spare part from Taiwan at USD50 plus USD15 for beemerback.

525I,

Here is picture of beemerback X5 folding mirror motor as compare to the replacement part.

x5FOLDINGMIRRORMOTOR.jpg

Anyone who want to order the motor please PM me. I am ordering 4 motors on behalf of 525i soon.

Thanks for the pics. But this motor is located in a casing which looks difficult to remove out. And why would the the other side which is working fold out automatically when it is folding in? Is this a different problem? I hear that there is a limit switch inside which controls this. Could be damaged or misaligned?

jarance;748352 said:
Anyone who want to order the motor please PM me. I am ordering 4 motors on behalf of 525i soon.

I suggest those with a X5 get this even though your mirror is fine now. It will fail. Another one of the X5 common list of failures. And when it does, no mechanic will repair it for you. Chop shop will cost you RM1,800 each at least. New one? RM4,000 each. No joke. A big thanks to Jarance for finding this gem out. This should be a sticky.

525i;748355 said:
Thanks for the pics. But this motor is located in a casing which looks difficult to remove out. And why would the the other side which is working fold out automatically when it is folding in? Is this a different problem? I hear that there is a limit switch inside which controls this. Could be damaged or misaligned?

Actually, the motor is quite easy to remove once the casing is remove. The trick is to do some marking on the housing to find the proper alignment when assembling it back. We had a tough time putting it back due to the non marking during dismantling. (ha..ha.. Learn from mistake)

The auto fold out "again" is a safety feature of the X5. When one mirror is not fold in properly, the control module will send a signal to the other mirror to fold out. Sometime the problem could be due to the limit switch but most of the time it is due to the worn out worm gear. I have also order a spare limit switch for beemerback the last time but we didnt use it cos there was nothing wrong with the switch.

The limit switch act as a "Lock Position" and "Fold-in Position". When somebody accidentally knock your mirror, the clutch lock will disengage the mirror to prevent it from damage. When you press the fold in button, the mirror will unfold and turn until it auto lock back to it original position.

Wow! Your wealth of information on BMWs is indeed outstanding. Thanks for the explanation.

Here are some pictures of the folding mirror motor.

To remove the motor casing, you have to remove the 3 mounting bolts from the bottom.
X5MOTORCASING.jpg

After you have remove the motor casing, you can remove the casing bolts.

Here is view of the motor with the casing remove.
X5MOTOR.jpg

borrow from beemerback photo. View of the motor from bottom.
20120219_162240.jpg

Sifu Jarance is at work again........my X5 folding mirror so far so good. Excellent job bro J! Did we ordered a spare motor or a spare wormgear?

I think better order another spare motor with the wormgear for the right side now!

Top Bottom