windscreen demist

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

tristaranger

Club Guest
gentlemen, any of u had a problem with your rear windscreen demist not working? Switched on mine this morning on the way to work and noticed it wasnt workin.Cud it be a fuse problem?If it is ,whereabouts is it located?Anybody knows wheres the exact location of elec connection to the rear screen heater? Need help.......... rgds :dunno:

Not sure where the fuse box for the E46 is located but on my E36, it is in the engine compartment. Why don't you check your manual?

In my case, I too suffered the same thing. My fuse keeps blowing if I use my demister for longer than 5 minutes at a stretch. So now I always carry spare fuses and that I must remember to turn off my demister once the glass clears or within 5 minutes, whichever is the faster. :D

Hmmm... maybe short circuit of the wiring. Mine was not ok... but don't know what I did and now it works like a charm :D

on an e34, there is another relay situated on the bottom of the rear seat. if e46 has the same setup, usually this is the culprit.

Well the best way to check if its a blown fuse is to check if there is any current flowing to the demister wires on the rear windscreen. You can do this using a volt meter or even just a simple bulp tester by checking the current flow on the wires going to the demister at the rear.

On the E34, you can remove the rear side panels (where the interior back lights are) and you will see all the wires. I had a friend whom also had a failed rear demister too and he checked all the fuses and wiring and everything was working fine. So conclusion was the actual demister wires on the windscreen itself must have a break it in so the current is not flowing thru them to heat up. Well thats bad news coz the only way to fix that is to replace the entire rear windscreen!. OUCH!. :blink:

Top Bottom