White Smoke

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Fuhrer

Club Guest
I just tested this gorgeous looking e36 325i Vert with just 89,000ks on the clock with full service history, AC kit & suspension & original M3 rims.The car felt very tight all around and very well kept, but what worried me was there was white smoke comming out of the exhaust after i started the car and had a look around..though it was just the normal winter mist, but i switched it off & got the salesman to restart it & a puff came out again..is this a headgasket problem?also when i took the top down, it got stuck on the left. he just told me it needs to be re-calibrated & its all fine..the power on it was so so compared to my old non vanos 325i.i just love the growl and power of these M50s..the sound of it brought back memories.. :yes: teaser pic! :p

white smoke, less power..... those are among the symptoms for head gasket leakage. get it checked before you buy it. if you have time to run it, make sure it doesnt 'drink' water or coolant.

i think i'll let this one go...i knew it might be the headgasket. today it might be the head gasket, next the head & then next week the gearbox..man i've had a bad run with these damn e36s...

It could be as simple as water vapour on start up. Let it warm up and check again. Idle then accelerate hard and watch for blue smoke from the exhaust.

thats what i thought initally as well, with it being winter and being a cold day. i took it for a good 20 min spin...came back, switched it off & told the salesman to start it up again to see if it occurs. and it did!
there's a fair few running around..maybe i should give them a spin because i was quite dissapointed with the power on that vanos 2.5. my old one felt faster, somemore 4 door..

Originally posted by Fuhrer@Jun 21 2005, 10:14 PM
thats what i thought initally as well, with it being winter and being a cold day. i took it for a good 20 min spin...came back, switched it off & told the salesman to start it up again to see if it occurs. and it did!
there's a fair few running around..maybe i should give them a spin because i was quite dissapointed with the power on that vanos 2.5. my old one felt faster, somemore 4 door..
OK. Then you did good to stay away from it. Good on ya mate!

Top Bottom