Which type of fuel to use?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
That age old debate is back...!

If you watch Fifth gear often enough on Turbo...you might bump into the rerun episode where that dorkey white haired guy tested 3 various typs of fuel in Britain (a supermarket unleaded fuel, shell optimax - Ron 97, BP ultimate - Ron 98)with 3 diff types of cars - the Clio, golf GTI mk 5 and a Subaru impreza STI v9 . The conclusion is...dont bother with premium if you drive a day banger, a GTI mk 5 showed only 5 bhp improvement on Ron 98. Only the STI showed a 14 bhp hike (less on Ron 97), but that bloke has around 300bhp to start with...

Lesson?...If you drive a 335i or any of the M cars then maybe a Shell Vpwer could give you a couple of bhp more on Ron 97 than Ron 95, if you care. For the rest of us, perhaps a Petronas Primax 95 or Shell Ron 95 should be the order of the day for the daily work commute...indulge in the Ron 97 only to make YOU feel good...

my E34 has less than half tank of Shell 95 in it, and i can't wait for it to be totally gone. it feels as if the engine was detuned after the several tankfuls of Petronas 95 filled previously.

so for me now it will be Primax95 for daily use, and visit Shell only on special occasions for VPowerRacing.

I dont find Shell V Power Racing available anymore. I think its replaced by Shell 97 V Power.

Bruce_Z;547360 said:
That age old debate is back...!

If you watch Fifth gear often enough on Turbo...you might bump into the rerun episode where that dorkey white haired guy tested 3 various typs of fuel in Britain (a supermarket unleaded fuel, shell optimax - Ron 97, BP ultimate - Ron 98)with 3 diff types of cars - the Clio, golf GTI mk 5 and a Subaru impreza STI v9 . The conclusion is...dont bother with premium if you drive a day banger, a GTI mk 5 showed only 5 bhp improvement on Ron 98. Only the STI showed a 14 bhp hike (less on Ron 97), but that bloke has around 300bhp to start with...

Lesson?...If you drive a 335i or any of the M cars then maybe a Shell Vpwer could give you a couple of bhp more on Ron 97 than Ron 95, if you care. For the rest of us, perhaps a Petronas Primax 95 or Shell Ron 95 should be the order of the day for the daily work commute...indulge in the Ron 97 only to make YOU feel good...

Before change to bm I drove subaru sti v9 and has tried all the RON types. if we were to compare on power, different RON grade does produce different power, and obviously, the higher the better.

As per Albundy and Schwepps quoted about compression/combustion in engine block, ignition timing and advance timing are truth. Another thing to take note also, with fifferent RON and additive, ECU tuning can achieve better advance ignition timing, with the right air/fuel mixture and compression, then yield the best combustion and gain the power.

With different tunning setting, RON95 might give you the power that you desire.... if the tuning is set to use RON95, you are free to use any RON (or any brand of petro).

If the car is set to use RON97, the best is to use 97 and above. of course, you could use RON95 too but the result will be less satisfy. And that's the reason Shell came out with 3 types of petro, As the driver will feel more powerful if the older the car using the higher grade of RON, and hence normal people will comment V-power racing give the best performance. To be frank, V-power do not make significant differnt on turbo car (not sure about 335...)

Top Bottom