Which type of fuel to use?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

yintk

Club Guest
Dear All,Just wanna know which type of fuel that v are suppose to use for our engine, eg RON95, RON 97 etc and which one that suits turbo and non turbo engine? If we filled the engine with petrol which does not suit, what will happen to our engine???? Would be great if all Beemer Sifus' could share their expertise.......Cheers :wink:

I would assume some knocking would occur if you filled up with fuel that is not the optimum RON rating for your car.

I've tried RON95 on my E36 328i but that gives me horrible mileage. I get between 430 to 500km on a full tank of RON97 depending on how I drive.

Hi Loaf, thanks for sharing but at times I got a little bit puzzle of which one to use RON95/ 97 or even which brand to use when we reach a place where there is no RON,than would Petronas, Shell, Esso, Caltex as they had different grades and spec which would suits our engine, I suppose...

Eg Petronas - go for XXX
Shell - go for XXX
Esso - go for XXX

Knocking would be one of the cause, but what if we do not stick to one brand...wud tis also occur...
Lets hear from Sifus' as I believe it would help us in maintaining our engine better...

Our cars can go for any type of fuel..ron 95, or 97. it also depends on ur usage. whether city drive or outstation drives. so far for myself, i try my best to go back to Shell. 2nd choice Petronas. I m using 95 cos city use.

Well you'll have to test to see which petrol works the best for you. Each petrol company has different additives they add into their petrol but ultimately the RON rating is all the same be it RON95 o RON97.

Personally for me so far Caltex is the best. I've heard good things about Petronas also. In the market from what I've heard Caltex and Petronas petrol burns the cleanest and most complete.

My personal experience running Shell fuels (fuel consumption measured at average speed 30km/h in city driving, over a minimum 1000km distance):

V-Power Racing: 7.4km/L
V-Power 97: 7.0km/L
RON97: 7.0km/L
RON95 with FuelSave (current RON95): 6.7-6.8km/L
RON95 without FuelSave (first batch of RON95): 6.6km/L

No problems running any of the fuels, V-Power Racing felt noticeably more powerful than RON95 when accelerating hard. Otherwise, didn't feel any difference between the fuels, except wallet felt lighter when using V-Power Racing.

Didn't try other fuels because Shell is the most convenient petrol station for me.

yintk;543453 said:
Dear All,
Just wanna know which type of fuel that v are suppose to use for our engine, eg RON95, RON 97 etc and which one that suits turbo and non turbo engine? If we filled the engine with petrol which does not suit, what will happen to our engine????

Would be great if all Beemer Sifus' could share their expertise.......Cheers :wink:

For high compression or forced induction engines, it is better to go with RON97.

On your petrol flap, you will see that most cars are designed to use RON 95 to RON98. However to achieve optimum performance, you would need a higher RON. Older cars can even use RON 91-95, and if you see that on your petrol flap then no point using RON97 :)

RON97 is on a managed float, so you can expect the price differential with RON95 to widen pretty soon. The differential is not going to be worth it just to get 2 RON points of additional anti-knock additive. They're both the same base ULG fuel from Shell PD and Petronas Melaka after all.

Shell was pretty smart to differentiate their RON97 product by calling it V-Power 97 just a few weeks before the subsidies started rolling back. A lot of my friends don't realise that it's not the original V-Power and think that Shell reduced the price of V-Power! :) The power of advertising...

previously i use Shell and didn;t realize that the engine knocking was cause by the fuel burning until I change to Caltex, then the knocking is gone......since then i started using Caltex but it is quite troublesome when travel outstation cos not many of them.....

Schwepps;544265 said:
The differential is not going to be worth it just to get 2 RON points of additional anti-knock additive.

Sometimes, you which you had that extra 2 RON points when you have blown a gasket, broken apex seal, or a burned ring.

I'm intrigued...how does +2 RON help in those circumstances? Or RON in general? Higher RON/octane only means less propensity of the fuel to self-ignite.

What loafer said is true..

our bmw's are of different makes, i.e. engine, cc and model types, turbo and na.. and how old, oily and combustion of the engines will call the shots(power, engine knock)
some petrol brands may suit the engine some may not, some can suit to ron 97, some to 95..

try all types of fuel before you feel what's best for your engine...

on my car, the engine handbook says min is ron98 and ron 95 is the lowest you can go due to it catalytics tuned.

i tried RON 97 on all fuels, best of everything is, best is top..
1. Petronas
2. BHP
3. shell
4. Mobil/Esso
5. caltex - good as petronas, but finishes faster

for Ron95
1. Petronas
2. BHP
3. caltex
4. Mobil/Esso
5. shell - my engine knocks, no power..

all the above is based on my car and my observation on fuel filling time. btw, it's a e32 730i B30M60 engine model.

try it out all, dun listen who fills up what petrol, you decide cos it's your car, and you know what's best for it.

Schwepps;544394 said:
I'm intrigued...how does +2 RON help in those circumstances? Or RON in general? Higher RON/octane only means less propensity of the fuel to self-ignite.

very true what you said:top:

Wow surprised to see Petronas getting cheer from more than 1 person in this thread. I religiously go to BHP and my last choice is Petronas...got very sceptical after that rumour of Petronas adding kerosene to lessen costs. BHP because I genuinely feel the difference in smoothness/acceleration. Driving an E34 btw.

Might try Petronas again after years of avoiding. Maybe I've not realised them turning over a 'new leaf'!

There are only 5 refineries in the Peninsula: Petronas Kertih, Petronas Melaka 1, Petronas-Conoco Melaka 2 (newest), Shell PD and Esso PD. And Esso PD is the oldest, smallest and least efficient of the 5, and I doubt it's still producing actively. So all the base ULG fuel available here is Petronas and Shell. Unless you think the other brands import their gasoline, where do you think they get their commodity base ULG from? BHP isn't even an Oil & Gas company! All O&G companies off-take from each other worldwide. Here, even Shell will off-take from Petronas when they go on planned maintenance shutdowns of 45 days. Most of the gasoline sold here is from Petronas.

The only difference between the brands is their additive packages, which are dosed in at the point of filling their tankers at the terminals. But even additives are commodities, not made by the O&G companies themselves. They are not magic potions, just chemicals made by companies like BASF, Bayer, Dow, 3M, etc. It's all the same anti-knock, detergent, dye, etc, only in slightly differing quantities. Slightly less anti-knock in the same base ULG gives you RON95, slightly more RON97. Sorry to take away the romance of gasoline, but better that you know the truth right?

Incidentally, for those who think that we are an oil producing nation and therefore our raw material should be at much lower cost, the truth is that the crude oil refined in our refineries for local consumption is imported Middle Eastern heavy sour (high sulphur) Our higher quality light sweet crude is exported to countries with more stringent fuel standards and major chemical industries such as Europe and Japan to maximise the revenue going into the piggy bank. Now perhaps you will understand why until recently we were at Euro 0 fuel standards and only recently at Euro 2. Using our own crude to achieve higher standards will mean less crude to export for higher revenue, so we're using cheaper imported crude at market prices.

Hammer278;544431 said:
Wow surprised to see Petronas getting cheer from more than 1 person in this thread. I religiously go to BHP and my last choice is Petronas...got very sceptical after that rumour of Petronas adding kerosene to lessen costs. BHP because I genuinely feel the difference in smoothness/acceleration. Driving an E34 btw.

Might try Petronas again after years of avoiding. Maybe I've not realised them turning over a 'new leaf'!

kerosene is much higher ron and easy to ignite and mostly used by planes..

remember the 'octane' booster sold by tuner called 'after burn' ? it contains kerosene !!:eek:

Top Bottom