What Type of Inspection will PUSPAKOM perform on car age more than 10?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

BMW520

Club Guest
Dear all,I think recently our govenment enforce car above 10 years old to send to PUSPAKOM by yearly basis (If i still drive my current e39 2 to 3 years later). I wonder what type of inspection will they perform? What i know is the window transperancy, chasis & engine number.1. Most of our car tinted & i think most of the good tint will fail the inspection. Meaning we have to tint our car by yearly basis?2. If car engine change or upgrade with SC or stroker kits upgrade, will this detected by the inspection?3. What other type of modification will detected & fail PUSPAKOM inspection? Appreciate your inputs. I just wonder if any troublesome to drive a car more than 10 years old? Few of my friend change their 7 to 9 years conti car to new jap car due to yearly inspection issue & the car prize will drop significantly after 10 years.

If not mistaken, I thought this ruling only applies to those who wish to SELL their car?

At the moment, PUSPAKOM inspection is only required when u transfer ownership for any age of cars.
For this purpose, from what I know, they inspect for sign of 'joint' chassis, tinting, matching chassis and engine block number.
No rulings yet on yearly inspection but they are ppl spreading rumours aka 'fear' on yearly inspections. 2 years ago, there was a ruling on compulsory inspection on cars above 15 years old. But after some protests, this was abolished. Some insurance agents oso guilty of spreading unsubstantiated rumours related to this, tell u old cars troublesome to get insurance, inspections bla bla bla.. sell the old car get new ones... Reason being, the premium is lower for old cars mah.. They get more money selling policies to new cars... Those who are ignorant of the rulings will listen to them blindly and get new cars and pay more premium... ;)

BTW, not all tints are illegal, only the darker ones are not allowed. please do your reading and research properly. There's a VLT (Visible Light Transmission) percentage premitted by JPJ. get the one which is well within the stipulated VLT..

Engine change means a different engine block number. For this, u need to go to JPJ and change the number accordingly on the registration card. I think u can get the procedures from JPJ website. As for turbo and SC, not sure what's the ruling on it.
But for stroker kit, don't think they test for that. As long as the engine block number matches the one on the reg card. It's a GREEN light.

Actually the real reasons for those ppl selling the cars when they reach 7-9 years was more bcos of the difficulty in getting a loan for cars older than 10 years old. Interest rate is higher and lesser loan amount for these aged cars.

Eggie86;639147 said:
If not mistaken, I thought this ruling only applies to those who wish to SELL their car?

Yes u r right, and if im not mistaken only for those who dealing with loan.
For those who dealing with cash buy was not necersary.

Alex5522;639192 said:
Yes u r right, and if im not mistaken only for those who dealing with loan.
For those who dealing with cash buy was not necersary.

my car was brought CASH..still need go inspection

fabianyee;639183 said:
At the moment, PUSPAKOM inspection is only required when u transfer ownership for any age of cars.
For this purpose, from what I know, they inspect for sign of 'joint' chassis, tinting, matching chassis and engine block number.
No rulings yet on yearly inspection but they are ppl spreading rumours aka 'fear' on yearly inspections. 2 years ago, there was a ruling on compulsory inspection on cars above 15 years old. But after some protests, this was abolished. Some insurance agents oso guilty of spreading unsubstantiated rumours related to this, tell u old cars troublesome to get insurance, inspections bla bla bla.. sell the old car get new ones... Reason being, the premium is lower for old cars mah.. They get more money selling policies to new cars... Those who are ignorant of the rulings will listen to them blindly and get new cars and pay more premium... ;)

BTW, not all tints are illegal, only the darker ones are not allowed. please do your reading and research properly. There's a VLT (Visible Light Transmission) percentage premitted by JPJ. get the one which is well within the stipulated VLT..

Engine change means a different engine block number. For this, u need to go to JPJ and change the number accordingly on the registration card. I think u can get the procedures from JPJ website. As for turbo and SC, not sure what's the ruling on it.
But for stroker kit, don't think they test for that. As long as the engine block number matches the one on the reg card. It's a GREEN light.

Actually the real reasons for those ppl selling the cars when they reach 7-9 years was more bcos of the difficulty in getting a loan for cars older than 10 years old. Interest rate is higher and lesser loan amount for these aged cars.

Thanks to fabianyee for your detail reply. I thought the ruling of yearly inspection was introduce? Maybe they (including me) being con by somebody. I know there is procedure for engine change but if someone change from lower cc engine to higher cc engine without went thru JPJ in order to save on roadtax, they might have problem.

BMW520;639205 said:
Thanks to fabianyee for your detail reply. I thought the ruling of yearly inspection was introduce? Maybe they (including me) being con by somebody. I know there is procedure for engine change but if someone change from lower cc engine to higher cc engine without went thru JPJ in order to save on roadtax, they might have problem.

My car is >20 years old, if yearly inspection is required, I would be the one affected by it along with others having these modern classic BMW.

As for those who changed engines, like I mentioned, if the engine number is matching with the number on the reg card, it's good...
Please READ BETWEEN THE LINES on that last sentence.

Let's not confused the > 10 years old car with yearly puspakom checking. There were 2 pieces of news earlier this month.

1. Motor insurance covering > 10 years old car. Inspection is only required for those deemed to be high risk. (Refer: http://star-motoring.com/News/2011/Motor-cover-for-all-with-immediate-effect.aspx)

2. 18 points check for ownership transfer effective June 1st. (Refer: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?sec=central&file=/2011/5/17/central/8682171 and http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?sec=nation&file=/2011/4/20/nation/8513399)

fabianyee;639211 said:
My car is >20 years old, if yearly inspection is required, I would be the one affected by it along with others having these modern classic BMW.

As for those who changed engines, like I mentioned, if the engine number is matching with the number on the reg card, it's good...
Please READ BETWEEN THE LINES on that last sentence.

I have better idea now. Btw, how to know what capacity of the engine we install as physically it look the same for M54 2.2l & 3.0 engine (besides the engine #)?

BMW520;639245 said:
I have better idea now. Btw, how to know what capacity of the engine we install as physically it look the same for M54 2.2l & 3.0 engine (besides the engine #)?

if without using special apparatus to get the volume of each cylinder, there's no other way except to dismantle and measure.

John_Smith;639228 said:
Let's not confused the > 10 years old car with yearly puspakom checking. There were 2 pieces of news earlier this month.

1. Motor insurance covering > 10 years old car. Inspection is only required for those deemed to be high risk. (Refer: http://star-motoring.com/News/2011/Motor-cover-for-all-with-immediate-effect.aspx)

2. 18 points check for ownership transfer effective June 1st. (Refer: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?sec=central&file=/2011/5/17/central/8682171 and http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?sec=nation&file=/2011/4/20/nation/8513399)

Going by the article, my 1990 E30 318i is technically a 'high risk' vehicle.. but when I went to get the MMIP insurance, was not required to go for inspection. Everything done at the counter. As usual, new policies have always been ambiguous and lack of proper and consistent information. One day say this, the next day say that. Susah...

The article didn't mention who has the power to "deem" high risk also. I supposed in this case, it'd be the insurance company. Anyway, that is the general problem of this country's policy on everything - lack of proper n consistent information which are easily accessible.

So far, my insurance panel, RHB, has been kind. Didn't even have loading on my '96 E36.

BMW520;639245 said:

You could look for the engine code which is usually found somewhere below the intake manifold. But to get there....is a totally different story altogether :p

Top Bottom