what difference for run flat tires or non run flat tires??

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
since the E90 does not have spare tyre that's y the car come equipped with RFT's.
not sure bout the new Fseries.

but RFT's costs more expensive, harsher ride too.

Let me try make this as short as possible.

Quite a while back, European Union legislation sets mandatory emission reduction targets for new cars.

http://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/transport/vehicles/cars/index_en.htm

To meet this CO2 emission targets, vehicles require to obtain lower fuel consumption. Efforts were taken to increase engine efficiency and lower power loss via friction etc. Another way to reduce vehicle CO2 emission level is by reducing vehicle weight. Many OEM took action in replacing the full size spare tyre to space saver tyre. Later on, deleting the space saver tyre and certain tools including the jack with a tyre repair kit or also known as mobility kit. This gave the vehicles a savings up to 25kg which is considered large amount.

BMW decided to go towards a different direction which is the development and implementation of Run Flat Tyres. These tyres have reinforced sidewalls and a some sizes with a thick rubber layer in the middle of the wheel to support the vehicle weight at tested maximum speed of 80km/h through a maximum safe distance of 200km (varies by tyre make and size). This provides additional benefits to the driver including safety of driver to avoid roadside tyre change, avoid sudden vehicle loss of control due to tyre burst and extra cabin space. Unfortunately, this tyre has a harsher ride comfort compared to regular pneumatic tyre. Nevertheless, BMW has tuned the vehicle suspension and vehicle dynamic characteristics to match this tyre character in order to achieve the intended feeling for the drive.

Run-flat tyres provide greater safety, more peace of mind and additional cabin space. It's not surprising that Germany's ADAC, the largest automobile club in the world, has described run-flat tyres as the "first important revolution in tyre design since the invention of the pneumatic tyre."

In consideration of aftermarket replacement part price and availability, BMW did also develop suitable tested mobility kit for certain regions where the market is driven by regular pneumatic tyres and Run Flat Tyres are not commonly available. These mobility kit may be ordered through BMW authorized spare part dealer.

BMW Quote:

BMW aims to provide our customers with a premium product that provides ultimate safety with optimum performance and it is always a concern to receive feedback of this nature.

We chose to include Run-flat technology on our vehicles for the following reasons:

It is dangerous to stop on any road to change a tyre, especially on a motorway or at night.
There is no need to have to wait for a breakdown service to arrive.
Safety and security of the driver and passenger(s) is maintained.
Alloy wheels are difficult to detach from steel hubs.
On most cars the spare is under the contents of the boot, and uses boot space.
It can be tricky to line up the wheel bolt holes with the hub screw holes and match the thread.
The dirty punctured tyre needs to be removed and stored in the boot.
Another puncture before the punctured tyre is mended means one is stranded.
A driver can continue for 150 miles at 50mph with a punctured Run-flat tyre.

Reasons to have Run flat tires on your BMW
All of our vehicles that use Run-flat technology have their suspension and braking components set up to accommodate Run-flat tyres. Should you decide to change to non Run-flats, it may alter the driving and handling characteristics of your vehicle. It is for this reason that this modification is not recommended by BMW as a manufacturer.

However, it is possible to have standard tyres fitted. You will additionally need to purchase either a spare wheel with jack and brace set or a mobility kit which can be ordered from the Parts Department of your nearest BMW Approved Dealership.

End quote.

Hope this explains
Deep

If i want to answer your question directly, regular tyre has better ride comfort but when one of your tyre is flat, you will be stranded without a mobility kit.

My recommendation is to purchase a tyre mobility kit from BMW and assemble regular pneumatic tyres to replace Run Flat Tyres.

Cheers
Deep

DanzE90 said:
since the E90 does not have spare tyre that's y the car come equipped with RFT's.
not sure bout the new Fseries.

but RFT's costs more expensive, harsher ride too.
All new BMW comes with Run Flat Tyres.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

///M cars come with mobility kit which are supplied by a few vendors incl Continental and Slime.

Deep said:
///M cars come with mobility kit which are supplied by a few vendors incl Continental and Slime.
Correct me if i am wrong, but using mobility kits such as Slime sealant kits will render the wheel unsuitable for continued use once it reaches the workshop because of the slime pumped in right?

Sorry Ah Shawn, thats not accurate. Most sealants are corrosive, thus, the tyre has to be disassembled from the wheel to be washed. All the sealant pumped in must be washed as it will corrode the tyre. Completely non corrosive sealant are yet to be widely available in market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thank you guys for all that stunning comment and knowledge..really appreciated..happy driving dude!! :rock:

Top Bottom