What caused the TRANS FAILSAFE PROG

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

BMW2007

Club Guest
Sifu, need your opinion... i was driving in a heavy rain today, keeping the speed as lower as 40 ~ 60 km/h for about 30 mins due to the road condition. I was then increase the speed to 80~90 km/h when the weather condition is getting better. Suddenly the Check Control panel shows TRANS FAILSAFE PROG and the car immediately lossing power.. I was then stop the car for a while, the worst thing is when i shift the gear to "R", the Reverse gear is not working! The "R" gear is like "N", not moving at all but noticed that the "D" gear is still working. I have no choice to ask for help from tepi jalan, luckily got another 2 guys helping me to "push" my car to make it reverse so that i can continue to drive the car only in forward direction. I have then drove it to a repair shop nearby, the mechanic did a diagnosis with his laptop (borsch's program) and found 3 errors on the gear control examination. 4th, 5th gear not working and the Turbine Speed Sensor faulty. The Mech deleted all the error message and try to test drive the car, the TRANS FAILSAFE PROG appears again after a while and the reverse gear is intermittent working. The Mech said it is due to the faulty Turbine Speed Sensor but i have no chance to get it replace as it is Sunday, the spare part shop is closed today.Anybody experienced this before? How much the cost for the turbine speed sensor?Thanks

somehow the check control is showing OK on the next day.. all the gears working fine when the car is started this morning.

What is the problem. Last 2 weeks I went to see an E38 but did not test drive the car but upon switching off the engine it states TRANS FAILSAFE PROGon the BC.. I think I should stay away from purchasing the car..

BMW2007;465843 said:
Sifu, need your opinion... i was driving in a heavy rain today, keeping the speed as lower as 40 ~ 60 km/h for about 30 mins due to the road condition. I was then increase the speed to 80~90 km/h when the weather condition is getting better. Suddenly the Check Control panel shows TRANS FAILSAFE PROG and the car immediately lossing power.. I was then stop the car for a while, the worst thing is when i shift the gear to "R", the Reverse gear is not working! The "R" gear is like "N", not moving at all but noticed that the "D" gear is still working.

I have no choice to ask for help from tepi jalan, luckily got another 2 guys helping me to "push" my car to make it reverse so that i can continue to drive the car only in forward direction. I have then drove it to a repair shop nearby, the mechanic did a diagnosis with his laptop (borsch's program) and found 3 errors on the gear control examination. 4th, 5th gear not working and the Turbine Speed Sensor faulty. The Mech deleted all the error message and try to test drive the car, the TRANS FAILSAFE PROG appears again after a while and the reverse gear is intermittent working. The Mech said it is due to the faulty Turbine Speed Sensor but i have no chance to get it replace as it is Sunday, the spare part shop is closed today.

Anybody experienced this before? How much the cost for the turbine speed sensor?

Thanks

Last week i'm travelling from penang to kl...raining all the way...close to exit jalan duta, i experience the same thing like ur's...but i'm not testing the Reverse gear..i only turn off the engine and restart then the error not appeared anymore. But, my problem is started on the next day...everything run smoothly then suddenly i heard some noise coming from engine/gear box....and send to mech they said maybe due to oil seal or the worst thing maybe gear box is problem...when diagnose, nothing wrong with it...suspect maybe torque converter...anyone can help me??? headache already la

BMW2007;465843 said:
Sifu, need your opinion... i was driving in a heavy rain today, keeping the speed as lower as 40 ~ 60 km/h for about 30 mins due to the road condition. I was then increase the speed to 80~90 km/h when the weather condition is getting better. Suddenly the Check Control panel shows TRANS FAILSAFE PROG and the car immediately lossing power.. I was then stop the car for a while, the worst thing is when i shift the gear to "R", the Reverse gear is not working! The "R" gear is like "N", not moving at all but noticed that the "D" gear is still working.

I have no choice to ask for help from tepi jalan, luckily got another 2 guys helping me to "push" my car to make it reverse so that i can continue to drive the car only in forward direction. I have then drove it to a repair shop nearby, the mechanic did a diagnosis with his laptop (borsch's program) and found 3 errors on the gear control examination. 4th, 5th gear not working and the Turbine Speed Sensor faulty. The Mech deleted all the error message and try to test drive the car, the TRANS FAILSAFE PROG appears again after a while and the reverse gear is intermittent working. The Mech said it is due to the faulty Turbine Speed Sensor but i have no chance to get it replace as it is Sunday, the spare part shop is closed today.

Anybody experienced this before? How much the cost for the turbine speed sensor?

Thanks

I am having this issue right now!

This is a nightmare...i havent had this issue before, have driven through various weather conditions and thankfully nothing happens (touchwood) Bro, i feel for u guys, my friend was told its the gear sensor underneath the car, water could have sipped into it..he had to wait till it dries and he drives it normally the next day..until now,he is still puzzled and he avoids driving bmw during rainy days....how la bros? Pening macam ni....

JFT63;749974 said:
This is a nightmare...i havent had this issue before, have driven through various weather conditions and thankfully nothing happens (touchwood) Bro, i feel for u guys, my friend was told its the gear sensor underneath the car, water could have sipped into it..he had to wait till it dries and he drives it normally the next day..until now,he is still puzzled and he avoids driving bmw during rainy days....how la bros? Pening macam ni....

Usually that is the case bro. The sensor got "wet" and you know la when thngs gets wet, funny2 things happens :4: ....
No need to pening2 Khai coz once it dries up, everything shud be back to normal. Avoid going thru heqvy rain on deep puddles in the future .... make sure your undercarriage covers are also in good condition .... this is to avoid from water getting into the sensors that are located down-under :4: ....

dzuljazz2001;749978 said:
Usually that is the case bro. The sensor got "wet" and you know la when thngs gets wet, funny2 things happens :4: ....
No need to pening2 Khai coz once it dries up, everything shud be back to normal. Avoid going thru heqvy rain on deep puddles in the future .... make sure your undercarriage covers are also in good condition .... this is to avoid from water getting into the sensors that are located down-under :4: ....

So the mech explanation does make sense, tq for enlightening tok. I guess e39 owners should get the car jacked up and check the undercarriage for the possible shortcomings....should check the covers too....

JFT63;749981 said:
So the mech explanation does make sense, tq for enlightening tok. I guess e39 owners should get the car jacked up and check the undercarriage for the possible shortcomings....should check the covers too....

:listen:... its thru experience Khai. When it happen to me (E60), I had the whole of East Coast Mall jammed packed :21: ... for 2 hrs .... :4: ... now I hv a new cover replaced that cost me a whopping RM1.2K :frown: coz the old one had actually been damaged ....

I think this problem have been experience by herbert once before while driving in the rain.
He went thru a big puddle of water and got the alarm and could not reverse. have to drive
all the way home with only third gear.

What he did was jack up the car and found water seeped thru the connector at the GB.
The mech dry the connector and retaped it (to prevent water ingress).
Reset the alarm and everything return back to normal.

dzuljazz2001;749978 said:

ya,not always funny2 things good things hapen 2,ha ha:

harbhajan;750083 said:
ya,not always funny2 things good things hapen 2,ha ha:

Hi uncle, such a long absence la....are u joining melaka drive this weekend?

the car is at M-Scope now. The nearest I dare to drive it in limp mode.

Still no reverse..

zib;750110 said:
the car is at M-Scope now. The nearest I dare to drive it in limp mode.

Still no reverse..

Once the alarm is reset, the car should hopefully return back to normal.

jarance;750113 said:
Once the alarm is reset, the car should hopefully return back to normal.

what alarm? My car doesn't come with an alarm as in all local spec AB E39 I think.

zib;750132 said:
what alarm? My car doesn't come with an alarm as in all local spec AB E39 I think.

Sorry, what I meant is plug in a diagnostic tool and reset the error code for the gearbox.

jarance;750197 said:
Sorry, what I meant is plug in a diagnostic tool and reset the error code for the gearbox.

Already reset so many times at bomin. It would come back everytime...

zib;750286 said:
Already reset so many times at bomin. It would come back everytime...

Resetting alone will not be enuf. Upgrading of software might do the trick. .....

Top Bottom