We don't recommend patching for RFT??!!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I have patched 2 RFT tyres on my car, one of them used for 9 months before changing to new tyre, and the other, used for 2 years before changing to new tyre. No problems after that. That said, I would feel safer if the patching was done by someone who knows what they are doing, ie with experience in patching RFTs and who knows its not exactly the same way as patching non-RFTs.

I am also a firm believer in using RFTs, especially after having punctures on a E60 520d (RFT) while on the motorway (UK), miles from any major city, on a Friday night that was the start of a bank holiday weekend (3-day weekend), with ambient temps around 0C, and a VW Touareg (non RFT, uses a deflated compact spare that needs to be inflated) while on a small country road in Romania (middle of the week). By far, the experience was better with the RFT-equipped car, no problems with getting to civilization and getting it fixed, while the non-RFT experience involved >3 hours stuck by the side of the road, a subsequent visit to a VW dealership for a new tyre and deflating the compact spare. I would take the RFT-car anytime.

astroboy;674100 said:
Going to SC to ask for tyre patch is like asking them to sell u chop shop or remanufactured alternator, or ask them to patch a crack line or chip on your windshield. Wrong place la, kawan. :4:

Patch tyre can be risky depending on how big is the lobang and the location of the lobang. It's best for them to recommend tyre replacement. Patched tyre has a higher chance to fail at high speed and is not worth for SC to take the risk for RM5 and it's a potential life hazard. Imagine every one of their cars are capable of above 200kph.

Worried then use the RM5.00 patch and insert a tube. guarantee safe one. Millions and millions of motorist been doing that before the birth of RFT and tubeless tires ha ha!!

DKNY;677615 said:
Worried then use the RM5.00 patch and insert a tube. guarantee safe one. Millions and millions of motorist been doing that before the birth of RFT and tubeless tires ha ha!!

Kenot also.. tube if pierced, instant deflation la! because air escape from the side of the valve outlet.. :4:

I patched my 19" RFT. It's been 10 months now. No problem at all, even though it's "close to the wall". Then again, I only pushed the car to 200km/h for a very short period just to "test". :lol: Usually drive quite slow. :lol:

19" is ok due to the super low profile. Sudden deflation or even burst of tyre has minimal pulling effect despite on a fast moving car.. I've heard 200kph blow up, yet driver can still slumber-ly steer to the road side. Unlike SUV, can terus terbalik.. :4:

Just got my RFT patched up on las saturday. Was driving towards iCity when suddenly a signal came out saying tyre pressure loss. when to AB glenmarie, the guy checked all my tires, and told me to just send the tyre for patching at the tyre shop nearby. I dont really know if its okay to patch or not, but the guy said its not a problem as long as the shop knows how to do it. Right now my tires are all okay and lets see in few months time how its gona be

If must patch, I would choose to patch from inside like Handiplus, kasi tampal.. Tyre shop usually charge RM25 because need to unmount tyre.

yaaa they unmount everythg and did the patch from inside. so i ges everythg would be okay huhu

Pez;685289 said:
yaaa they unmount everythg and did the patch from inside. so i ges everythg would be okay huhu

Haha! Pandai! But I never use patched tyre for my front, takut when failure, tak boleh steer..:4:

Top Bottom