Water Level dropping Badly

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jean.muller

Club Guest
Hi, my '96 E36 had an overheating problem. The thermostat was replaced and it sorted that problem out. I am now experiencing that everyday the water level drops at least 10cm per day. Pressure test on the radiator reveals no aparent leaks. Any Ideas?Thanks all:top:

check all the rubber hoses especially the one at the back of the engine.

check the radiator especially the area where the temperature sensor is installed.

Since you have overheating problem, open the radiator cap when the engine is cool and start the engine. check for any sign of bubbles coming out from the radiator. If there is bubbles then your engine cylinder head is warped.

and one more thing, check also the solenoid valve where it divert hot water into the AHU compartment.

Hi Jarance

Many thanks for your response.
The pipe at the back was replaced. I presume the temp sensr is on the left sticking out of the radiator, correct? By the sensor there is no water leaking there but the big waterpipe there feels slighty caroded there. I will replace that.

I have flushed the radiator, after that the bubbles did go on for about 5 minutes or so then stopped. I kept on checking for about 10minutes then when i noticed nothing extra i placed the cap back.

Where is the solenoid valve located?

Thanks again for the help.

jean.muller;327838 said:
Hi Jarance

Many thanks for your response.
The pipe at the back was replaced. I presume the temp sensr is on the left sticking out of the radiator, correct? By the sensor there is no water leaking there but the big waterpipe there feels slighty caroded there. I will replace that.

I have flushed the radiator, after that the bubbles did go on for about 5 minutes or so then stopped. I kept on checking for about 10minutes then when i noticed nothing extra i placed the cap back.

Where is the solenoid valve located?

Thanks again for the help.

sorry missed your post. The solenoid valve is located on the firewall, just behind the fuse box.

There are 3 hose connected to it.

Open the oil cap and see if there is any grayish muddy residue on the cap. That indicates water is already in the engine. Possibilities: cylinder head gasket out or worse, cylinder head cracked head.
Another way to check is to see if the exhaust has bluish fumes. Same possibilities.

Next to check is for hairline cracks on the radiator and coolant tank. The coolant tank is the main culprit. If you have not changed yours for more than 2 years, change it!!!

When the car overheated, did you check the waterpump too? If not, change to the new version with a carbon fin. Don't use the plastic version.

two test options...either one will tell what..

1. buy the nasa coolant, it's a coolant with a green fluorescent dye based. mix it for 4 cans to the radiator add water, bleed the system good. drive for a few days, then in the night, after you reached home, in darkness, shine your torch light at the all the plumbing and radiator areas, even under the car, see any trace of the leak, it will show dried green dye.
or
2. very simple, check your radiator cap..it's always the problem, the mechanic's always pressure test the system, but always never check the cap..

if there is no leak, then assume the worst, the head is gone, before you go off doing the top overhaul, do a compression test..it will confirm it..

by the way, this is the worst nightmare for the engine.

best of luck.

opps, i forgot, the pressure test is always correct.. if the pressure is okay, the whole plumbing is fine.. cos the test pressure is always 3bar.. normal cap engine pressure is 2 bar.

check your radiator cap. i had the same problem, spent alot on firefighting issues..replaced thermostat...this n that only to find the radiator cap to be the main culprit!! No overheating after that.

yea just found that my radiator cap got crack oso ler..

had this coolant warning yesterday on my way back home. this morning noticed that the water level like so deep low. but the stick was sticking out when i checked yesterday morning.

lucky read ur post hell before go further change this and that.

i go get my new radiator cap first now.. daa~ :hello:

I had the same problems at one time. It all started when my radiator hose broke and it was all hell after that.

after that the hose at the back also broke barely a week later. it goes in pairs..... front/back...left hose/right hose. if one breaks, replace the other. i didn't know earlier, so now you know.

after that my coolent tank cracked and was leaking water badly

after that , it was the crank sensor where my car could not start

after that it was my radiator car where the extreme heat melted the rubber inside...overheat again.

after that it was the engine gaskets....

spent a BOMB rectifying the problems...one after another. The final one being the cap

My then mechanic suggested top haul costing RM 2.5K but the radiator cap solved it all ...finally.

Hellraiser;369676 said:
I had the same problems at one time. It all started when my radiator hose broke and it was all hell after that.

after that the hose at the back also broke barely a week later. it goes in pairs..... front/back...left hose/right hose. if one breaks, replace the other. i didn't know earlier, so now you know.

after that my coolent tank cracked and was leaking water badly

after that , it was the crank sensor where my car could not start

after that it was my radiator car where the extreme heat melted the rubber inside...overheat again.

after that it was the engine gaskets....

spent a BOMB rectifying the problems...one after another. The final one being the cap

My then mechanic suggested top haul costing RM 2.5K but the radiator cap solved it all ...finally.

install the Hi-P water pump!!!, check the thermostat (aftermarket version should be 70degC, would be better), hack the electric fan wiring for manual switch-on..., put the switch near the sunglass holder... till now mine did not overheat... watch-out for nasty evil bastard who try to break the hose with long and sharp needle!!, soo get aluminium pipe if there was avaliable....

Hi
There is a TRICK.
I have faced myself and lots of owners before.
When the car overheat, the water is being drain out.
So most of the time even m........will only top up to the radiator and coolant level.
BUT there is something that we have forgot.
The aircon cooling coil inside the blower (this control the temp inside our car 18degrees to 25degrees)
This coil must be filled up to what will happen if it does not (if the temp knob is turn the hot water inside our engine will rush in and then the water level will go low)
But by how much will depends on how empty.

SO how to retify this is
Open the radiator cap
start the car let it warm up at the same time TURN BOTH KNOB AT THE AIRCON PANEL TO RED (max)
Then start filling up

It have done for me and lotsa of E36

Top Bottom