Waja

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

BMW9700

Club Guest
Hi everyone out there...i am planning to get a Waja auto new for my wife..issit ok to buy this car? my regular mechanic says that this car is trouble and i should not even bother to have it..just too many problems..i am confused and considering the Toyota Vios..even though it is a smaller car and cost much more than the Waja..pls help..and thanks for all your input..

One word.... DON'T!

Have colleagues and relatives owning the WAJA and heard nothing but complains....

Should check with those who recently bought a Waja. I heard the 1st batch had some problems, most major one being the gearshift. But I also also heard they've since rectify it in their later batches. Come on, Proton's not stupid. If everybody complaints, they're sure to do something about it right?

Furthermore, just heard they gonna launched a new improved Gen2.2. They admitted publicly in the press release (in Aust) that the 1st batch of Gen2s were launched in a rush. Thus, the problems.

The Toyota Vios may cost more but it is actually more spacious inside and years ahead in terms of drivability and consumption!

The waja? Don't do it........qualitative issues you know?

Toyota Vios cost more but if you go for 9 yr loan (okay because it retains its value well), with the lower maintenance and consumption, you'll be paying much less than Waja.

I have owned both. The only time Waja shines is when you need to carry 4 people at the back or when you are taking corners at 5000 rpm (though, you may need to change the absorber afterwards).

waja is quite a good buy for the 2nd batch. im one of the proud owner of the xoic version. doesnt feel like a waja but a real conti car. i dont know what they mod it with. very stable, fast and handles like a charm esp when i have installed anti roll bar and micro compressor. eats bwm 318 and volvo for breakfast at 195kmh. if they produce the xoic version to the public with below 90k price. its a far better value that most jap car and some conti car.

I own a Waja, now driven by wifey.

Honestly its not that bad for RM60k, but it depends on ur luck.

If u dont get a lemon then its a pretty good car.Just the 1.6 is sometimes a bit lethagic but if ur wife isnt a speed demon then no problem.

Just beware of the door catches/hinges.. My boss's and another friend's Waja both less than 2 years had the same problem where you can only use the inside door release to open the rear doors. If you are outside you'd have to clamber all over the car to open the rear doors... Strange that they have not addressed this issue... What gives???

Originally posted by e23_728i@May 19 2005, 10:06 PM
Just beware of the door catches/hinges.. My boss's and another friend's Waja both less than 2 years had the same problem where you can only use the inside door release to open the rear doors. If you are outside you'd have to clamber all over the car to open the rear doors... Strange that they have not addressed this issue... What gives???
reverse child lock??? heheheheh

Originally posted by BMW9700@Apr 13 2005, 10:57 AM
Hi everyone out there...i am planning to get a Waja auto new for my wife..issit ok to buy this car? my regular mechanic says that this car is trouble and i should not even bother to have it..just too many problems..

i am confused and considering the Toyota Vios..even though it is a smaller car and cost much more than the Waja..

pls help..and thanks for all your input..
Why not try out Peugeot 206 1.4 or 1.6......Yrs 2001 around 60K......It a fun car n good handling as well :D

Waja? I can only wish u luck and hope u get a problem-free one....

Got a former forumer here ( wah mouthful...) who bought a BRAND NEW Waja and ended up with JAMMED brakes, JAMMED windows.....

Sold it, bought a E30......though some issues earlier ( changed engine....itchy backside ) but now happy.

Some of u know him....

Dun get me wrong.....I had a wonderful Plotong Satria 1.6 which went 200plus at 4 years old ( no engine mods ), went to BTSC a few times and it never hiccuped on me nor bit me when on the limit....I guess I have more faith on earlier Plotongs than Wajas!

For same price and now - I would look elsewhere SERIOUSLY. My mate bought a Hyundai Getz 1.3 for his wife.....1 year old 2nd hand at RM50K - very happy with it.

Cheers.

Originally posted by Jules@May 20 2005, 10:04 AM
Waja? I can only wish u luck and hope u get a problem-free one....

Got a former forumer here ( wah mouthful...) who bought a BRAND NEW Waja and ended up with JAMMED brakes, JAMMED windows.....

Sold it, bought a E30......though some issues earlier ( changed engine....itchy backside ) but now happy.

Some of u know him....

Dun get me wrong.....I had a wonderful Plotong Satria 1.6 which went 200plus at 4 years old ( no engine mods ), went to BTSC a few times and it never hiccuped on me nor bit me when on the limit....I guess I have more faith on earlier Plotongs than Wajas!

For same price and now - I would look elsewhere SERIOUSLY. My mate bought a Hyundai Getz 1.3 for his wife.....1 year old 2nd hand at RM50K - very happy with it.

Cheers.
The older Protons are better in terms of reliability. I still have an 11 year old Wira which is still serving me well. Seriously considering turning that back into my daily ride and use my BMW on the week-ends. :D

well, from wpc info. waja 1.8 has its problems. thats why i bought the xoic version for a mere 55k. so far only problem is with the brake servo and they change it for free. other than that i work like a charms.

my freind bought a 1.6 new waja for the wifey. after testing my waja he exchange it with mine cause my getting mine beemer early next month. so far i have no problem with it. quite a good car. just spend on suspension, micro compressor, x1r, and anti roll bar and strut bar and its a nice car for rm62k.

every car has defect, as long the waranty is covered and its ok.
proton nowadays its quite a good car to drive. cant wait to see the srm model.

You may want to consider the newly launched Suzuki Swift? It's retailed between RM 75k - 85k, and it's a CBU. It looks good, much better than Vios or City IMO. At certain angle it looks wee bit like the MINI, ahem! :p

I am still quite skeptical of the WAJA, although it has gone through some rectification phases following frequent complains received from its customers. My sister's WAJA overheated after about 1.5 years of usage, causing damage to the engine block. A close friend had a cracked engine block after taking delivery of the car less than 6 months.
I am having a Vios for about 1.5 years now and no problem (touch wood) so far. Score very well in the fuel consumption category and very versatile and nimble for town driving. The VVTi helps a lot.

Top Bottom