Video/Audio Sound system

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

esham

Club Guest
Hello guys...newbie here i any suggestion on the Video/Audio sound system upgrade for my E39. Please "racun" me...hehehe If you all can attach photos and the layout it much greatful.

Hey man,

No racun .... just a couple of questions that might help to point you in the right direction ...

1. Budget - how much are you willing to spend ? Let's get that sorted out first.
2. Install objective - pure audio or home theater setup with single or multiple screens + game consoles?
3. Type of install - a simple speakers, a single amplifier plus a subwoofer maybe type of upgrade or a full blown install with aftermarket HU + processor, multiple amplifiers, components speakers, subwoofers, cables, wires and custom kickpanels and etc ?
4. How far are you willing go - panel cutting, modding and fabrication allowed or do you still wanna retain stock location and look all over ?

Regards,
VaN.

Thanks Van,
Got your point .. Yup, i prefer a bit simple but not full blown of audio system.
1. Budget 5K max
2. Better audio with single screen
3. Good speaker + a single amplifier + a good subwoofer
4. Willing to remove the stock radio/cassette panel + small back panel cutting.

Such simple guy with good ears...

Okie .... just my thoughts here ...

1. Budget 5K max - good point to start but you'll have some limitations unless you're willing to accept pre-used gears.

2. Better audio with single screen - A in-dash CD/DVD with a 6 or 7 inch screen will cost you atleast half of your budget - used units. New ones are twice as much unless you don't mind the cheaper Taiwanese brands.

3. Good speaker + a single amplifier + a good subwoofer - Easiest and most cost effective option is a single 4 channel amp. Front 2 channels would drive your front components while the rear 2 channels can be bridged for the sub. Rear speakers can be run off your HU to keep the cost down.

4. Willing to remove the stock radio/cassette panel + small back panel cutting - You can fit the in-dash unit and use a aftermarket bracket to make the install as neat and smooth as possible. Front speakers for the E39s are 5.25 inch so not cutting or fabricating needed unless you plan to install 6.5 inchers or above. A small opening on the rear panel / parcel shelf will help very much to channel the bass into the cabin given the E39's excellent build quality and boot insulation.

So, what wud it be bro ?

Cheers,
VaN.

Thanks Van...constructive thoughts. Appreciate that. I will start to "survey" around on the "branding" compare with my ears db.

hey Van, really impressed with ur ICE knowledge man! me, i'm running on stock std equipmt (e39,'97). was just wondering, if u pull out the ori HU, wouldn't u be losing the On-Board computer functions? It'd be a real shame, to me at least.:( Also, as esham stated, it'd b nice if somebody can post a pic of how things look esp with a new HU in place.:eek: I guess, to some others, the ICE over-rides the need for the OB comp? To each his own...:)

SORRY TO HIJACK ..just a question!

anyone know what happen to tat chuan audio, i got a few ORION amplifiers that require some tuning and service. took it off when i sold off my old car. might want to installed it into my e39. old amps but a great one for SQ.

anyone knows where are they or whoever thats good with ORION hcca amps?

Audio Upgrades

Hi everyone, any idea or any recommendation in KL area can get good shops or good technicians to upgrade the sound system?

I just got the car last week and the audio/video is just plain stock :( Check mine here you know what i mean...

The Tat Chuan service center which does Orion has been closed down. Happen to be there a week before it was closing and the guy there just said the big boss decided to close the service center. Dunno wat is the reason.

So as of now, I don't think there is any official Orion service center left. I took the no of the technician there and he said he might do freelance or on his own so maybe u can call him and see if he is willing to look at your Orions amps. His no is 013-3027708 (Mr Hew). Let us know if he is doing on his own ya. Tks.

esham;203521 said:
I just got the car last week and the audio/video is just plain stock :( Check mine here you know what i mean...

Hi esham,

IMO this setup is already yummy (and to many others too, I think). Anyways, would appreciate it if you could later on post the "AFTER" pix, i.e. after you upgrade it to whatever u decide to upgrade it to... who knows, I might just be racunned enuf after that to go for an upgrade meself!

All the best mate. cheers:)

Top Bottom