Vibration problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

[bimmer]

Club Guest
hi, I tried searching but to no avail. My E46 vibrates at idle in D, without the aircon on its even worse. But if its in Neutral, its alright. What is needed to be done to resolve the problem ? Also my front right wheel, has a klunk klunk sound when going on uneven roads, pot holes, etc. Is it the lower arm or the tierod end ? Also, does changing the accelerator cable make a lot of difference in terms of driving ? Thanks sifus.

I've done two of the above things you mention. First it's the kluck kluck sound when goin on uneven road... Change the lower arm bush, sound cut into half... not all thou. Still wondering wat else to change... And for the accelrator cable, the mechanic told me to change because it's abit hard to press it down, both feelings seems fine for me... soft or hard. Important is when you got used to it, it'll be not much different. For your vibrates at idle, i think it's your enigne mounting. Change it and it'll go away.

SMG330i;299352 said:
I've done two of the above things you mention. First it's the kluck kluck sound when goin on uneven road... Change the lower arm bush, sound cut into half... not all thou. Still wondering wat else to change... And for the accelrator cable, the mechanic told me to change because it's abit hard to press it down, both feelings seems fine for me... soft or hard. Important is when you got used to it, it'll be not much different. For your vibrates at idle, i think it's your enigne mounting. Change it and it'll go away.

hey bro, I'm scared to simply go to a bmw workshop as I'm scared of getting
slaughtered by those mechanics, so instead of asking them to find out, atleast
I know the problem before hand so that I can tell them to just change whats necessary
Where did you change your lower arm bush and accelerator cable and how much ?
How much would a set of engine mountings + labour cost ? Thx

SMG330i;299352 said:
yes, possiblity can come from lower arm/bush, absober might as well. there is few other things, mechanic will know when they check, coz without inspection abit difficult to pinpoint the actual fault by just listening. definately after changing the accelerator cable your pedal feel will be softer (more effortless), cost about RM 110. meanwhile engine mouting is about RM 100. pls intro yourself in newbies section as well :top:

Yup, would be nice if you could go the the newbie thread and do a proper intro of yourself! Cheers!

engine mounting only RM100 ah?
for all the mounts? or each mounts?
how many mounts are there in E46..?

jasonnn;299508 said:

I change a pair of lower arm bush for about RM350, plus minus somewhere there. They sell in pairs. And change one engine mounting for about RM300++ too if not mistaken. The engine mounting eliminates the vibration alot. Not sure how many mountings in there bro.

jasonnn;299508 said:
mine is E46 318i 1.9L, the engine mounting = 2pcs, my mechanic charge me RM 100 according to the bill

Mouse;299558 said:
mine is E46 318i 1.9L, the engine mounting = 2pcs, my mechanic charge me RM 100 according to the bill

Wow. Mouse, your mechanic can get engine mount for rm50/piece. Not bad, where is the workshop? I just change a pair for rm360 at USJ, although mine e39. I replace all the arms & rods at the same time. Excellent ride now, but it still don't eradicate a very very very minor wobbling sensation I get during a cold start. Looks like need to check out the spark plugs & ignition coil, and probably an engine compression test.

[bimmer], you will have to visually inspect the suspension bushes or mountings to determine the need for replacement. The best way to tell that your suspension bushes need replacement of course, is that your steering and brake pedal feel. If problem persist when engine mount ok, looks like you need to check spark plugs & ignition coil, and even probably an engine compression test. Just chipping in to solve check your engine vibration problem.

cheers.

I settle my klunk klunk sound after i changed the D bush, RM80 for both side..

chaiks;299670 said:
Wow. Mouse, your mechanic can get engine mount for rm50/piece. Not bad, where is the workshop? I just change a pair for rm360 at USJ, although mine e39. I replace all the arms & rods at the same time. Excellent ride now, but it still don't eradicate a very very very minor wobbling sensation I get during a cold start. Looks like need to check out the spark plugs & ignition coil, and probably an engine compression test.

[bimmer], you will have to visually inspect the suspension bushes or mountings to determine the need for replacement. The best way to tell that your suspension bushes need replacement of course, is that your steering and brake pedal feel. If problem persist when engine mount ok, looks like you need to check spark plugs & ignition coil, and even probably an engine compression test. Just chipping in to solve check your engine vibration problem.

cheers.

Cheers for that bro.

Yeah I guess I need to get things sorted out as the vibration is driving me nuts.
I'm the kind of person that can't stand these type of things as it's very annoying.
I also read that some members changed their vacumm lines or something like that
to eliminate the fluctuation of the idling, mine fluctuates between 0-100rpm.
And it costs less than RM400, so its not too bad I think.

Where do you guys normally send your cars to ?

Top Bottom