Very powderful N20 4 cylinder...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
jason;760728 said:
N20 Turbo engine on a hot day.

Well, I left my car under the sun for the afternoon while I was attending some meetings. I left the meeting and drove off at about 3pm. The car was scorching hot (black car), interior was searing. The ambient air temperture was unbearable, you can see the heat simmering off the road surface. After driving for a bit, I stepped on the pedal expecting the power to be there only to be greeted with very little boost. Has anyone encountered this with their 328i?

Jason

I went out from office at about 4pm, didn't notice any different. But I know that my MCS is affected by hot weather.

JCKL;760768 said:
I went out from office at about 4pm, didn't notice any different. But I know that my MCS is affected by hot weather.

Happened on Wed 25th, not today.

Jason

_M_;759592 said:
I upgraded from a C200 to the F30 328i recently. Yes, the C-Class is marginally more quiet inside, but the F30 at Comfort mode provides a softer ride.. so its better for both passenger and driver. So the F30 is truly a well-balanced class act :rock:

The F30 comfort mode is nothing to do with the suspension..........

jason;760728 said:
N20 Turbo engine on a hot day.

Well, I left my car under the sun for the afternoon while I was attending some meetings. I left the meeting and drove off at about 3pm. The car was scorching hot (black car), interior was searing. The ambient air temperture was unbearable, you can see the heat simmering off the road surface. After driving for a bit, I stepped on the pedal expecting the power to be there only to be greeted with very little boost. Has anyone encountered this with their 328i?

Jason

Theoretically, very hot ambient temperature means the air is less dense thus oxygen content also less. The function of the air-to-oil intercooler lose its cooling efficiency when hot. So might end up less power. But it should not be significant to become noticeable....

morrogan;760945 said:
Theoretically, very hot ambient temperature means the air is less dense thus oxygen content also less. The function of the air-to-oil intercooler lose its cooling efficiency when hot. So might end up less power. But it should not be significant to become noticeable....

My butt-o-meter felt the loss in power. Since that happened a couple of days ago, my butt-o-meter also felt the difference between morning and afternoon drives but much less severe. Time to invest in a more efficient intercooler.....

Jason

Forced induction engines are more susceptible to hot ambient air affecting power output.
I know there is aftermarket intercooler system for the supercharged Mini Cooper S. but more complicated as it involved having an electric water pump and a water cooler.

andrewlim8;760928 said:
The F30 comfort mode is nothing to do with the suspension..........

Yes, unfortunately it doesn't come with adaptive suspension.. I was referring to the feel of the ride especially with the moderate throttle response of Comfort mode. The Merc on the other hand has relatively firmer suspension so not necessarily a better passenger's car.

Top Bottom