Uneven wear of tyre

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
hey, mine same as geodesy too! yup! me alone most time, my battery on rear seat, yes; only front alignment can be done (that's what the tireman said)

ohhh...me sports shocks & springs...

dunno why?

Hi Wan520i, Tongsatriani,
Is traveling alone and the location of the battery really significant? Did you experience this yourself? How bad is yours?

I lifted up my ride and the mech mentioned something about lower arm bush. Would this cause the kinda wear? Soli if the question sounded daft but hey I'm learning.

I was quoted 2k RM for the job to change both lower arm bushes for 2 days labour. Sounds fair or is this veli funny?

Geo

i'm not that techy but most UDMs have that symptom. So. rotation of tyres is the best solution...as of now ler....

for me, as long as comfortable, ok ok...boleh la...

i just changed my e36 rear tyres cos of this... mine happen at my rear left tyre... makan dalam kaw2 until can see the tyre's belting... tried to hv the alignment corrected but somehow the mechanic can't do it.... rear right is -2 but the rear left is -10 if i remember correctly... mech told me he can adjust anymore coz it's stuck... he told me to hv the bushings check...

did ask first division on parts for this... was quoted rm500 for one side...

Can the chamber be adjust to 0 so the tyres wont wear unevenly? Understand that front chamber cant be adjusted only rear.

Pls advice

Geodesy and tong, on the e34 the culprit is likely to be the trailing arm bush. Get it changed and the camber should be within the given specs, 1.2 to 1.5 negative camber is acceptable. Both my e36 and e34 is lowered and running 17 inch tires and dont have such problems. I have replaced the all the rear bushes. :)

geoffreylee;245157 said:
Can the chamber be adjust to 0 so the tyres wont wear unevenly? Understand that front chamber cant be adjusted only rear.

Pls advice

Have you driven your car with 0 camber at the rear? *hint* - take a look at those cars that set up for drifting.

Cheers

0 camber on japanese car ya.. but guess not on BMW -1 is normal

But the tyre wear is unavoidable if chamber is set beyongd -1.5

Your kind advice please

geoffreylee;245179 said:
0 camber on japanese car ya.. but guess not on BMW -1 is normal

But the tyre wear is unavoidable if chamber is set beyongd -1.5

Your kind advice please

Which japanese car with 0 rear camber? Most if not all stock cars will have negative camber at the rear.

My e36 has - 1.8 camber in front and it still looks alright (with adjustable camber plates). Rear is 1.5 and its also okie. The inside wear is slightly more but its perfectly normal.

Thanks Albundy for the advice... can you PM me the cost of the rear bushes job or share with us if it's okay? Pleazzzz

I have read somewhere that the correct static setup is not only with -tive camber, but with both wheels biased inward a lil bit? Please refer to the lower picture. Imagine you look down from the roof top.

ALBundy;245181 said:
Which japanese car with 0 rear camber? Most if not all stock cars will have negative camber at the rear.

My e36 has - 1.8 camber in front and it still looks alright (with adjustable camber plates). Rear is 1.5 and its also okie. The inside wear is slightly more but its perfectly normal.

The last time I was at UMW, I saw them set the chamber of Innova and Altis to almost 0 -0.3 and -0.5

So the rear with -1.5 is normal? That means we cant avoid the inner tyre wear?

Thanks for for sharing your input.. appreciate it. :top:

geoffreylee;245400 said:
The last time I was at UMW, I saw them set the chamber of Innova and Altis to almost 0 -0.3 and -0.5

-ve camber improve cornering stability... If you want to experiment, you can try to set all to ZERO and see what's the difference in handling.. I flip the tyres inside out after about 10,000 km, that will more or less even out the wear...

geodesy;245294 said:
Thanks Albundy for the advice... can you PM me the cost of the rear bushes job or share with us if it's okay? Pleazzzz

I have read somewhere that the correct static setup is not only with -tive camber, but with both wheels biased inward a lil bit? Please refer to the lower picture. Imagine you look down from the roof top.

The second part you mention is call toe in.

Rear wheels are usually slightly toe in, it gives better grip and stability when you accelerate out of a corner. The only downside when there is too much toe-in would be a few km/hr sacrifice for top speed.

For the front wheel, most cars will be neutral or a slight toe in. If its toe out, the steering would be extremely sensitive to directional changes.

For the e34 the trailing arm bushes not very expensive. For the e36 I changed 6 bushes if I remember correctly. Cant remember the cost.

Cheers.

geoffreylee;245400 said:

Geoffrey, I was made to believe that the inner tyre wear will be serious if you do a lot of sprint from standstill. For higher speed driving, coupled with all your suspension settings, the wear should be okay.

Not unless you're using out of standard specs wheel size, tyres, suspensions... etc. I'm no expert but this my understanding. Can someone confirm this?

ALBundy;245575 said:
The second part you mention is call toe in.

Rear wheels are usually slightly toe in, it gives better grip and stability when you accelerate out of a corner. The only downside when there is too much toe-in would be a few km/hr sacrifice for top speed.

For the front wheel, most cars will be neutral or a slight toe in. If its toe out, the steering would be extremely sensitive to directional changes.

For the e34 the trailing arm bushes not very expensive. For the e36 I changed 6 bushes if I remember correctly. Cant remember the cost.

Cheers.

Hey Al, thanks a lot mate!

I only drive normally and mainly in the city.. hardly do any 0-60 drag or highspeed drive. My tyres are Falken ZIEX 215 45 17 front and rear.

Cheers

geoffreylee;245626 said:
I only drive normally and mainly in the city.. hardly do any 0-60 drag or highspeed drive. My tyres are Falken ZIEX 215 45 17 front and rear.

Cheers

You are using wrong tires for your car.

Wrong tyres??? Please help? How?? Should I use 215 45 17 front and 225 45 17 rear?

geoffreylee;245640 said:
Wrong tyres??? Please help? How?? Should I use 215 45 17 front and 225 45 17 rear?

Next round change to 225/45/17.

AS to whether to run staggered set up or not, that depends on the width of your rims, 7J, 71/2J, 8J and so forth. If both front and rear are of the same width, dun pandai2 run bigger tires at the rear.

Cheers.

Good advice but wont 225 give more drag? I'm trying to keep the drag to the min for better fuel economy.

Top Bottom