Rear tyres are wearing out real fast!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
turbology;313688 said:
But for most drivers, during panic-ermergency situation, their first instinct is to step brake if anything happened. Thus, having understeer is a better "solution" for those drivers, which result "more grip is needed at the rear than front".
I for one prefer oversteer, because almost all pro-drivers will agree oversteer is easier to correct than understeer without losing much speed and time. ;)

So does this mean that somehow for everyday drivers, putting the newer tyres (read: more tread) at the rear is a "safer" option, since not everyone knows how to deal with oversteer?

Yes.

That's why lor... I'm just an everyday driver, not pro. Safety is of more importance than speed to me (well, most of the time anyway :p)

The reason in placing a newer, more thread tyre at the front is not because of oversteer or understeer issue.

Having a less thread tyre at the rear will avoid oversteer in the dry but wet surface habis. Placing a less thread tyre at the front will avoid oversteer too, when in the wet.. :p

The real reason behind the rule of thumb of placing a newer tyre in front is to avoid an exploded front tyre. If a sudden deflation of tyre must happen, I choose it to be my rear tyre because if its your front tyre, there's no chance to steer no matter how PRO u r.

I never use a tyre with puncture history in front (these tyres have greater chance of sudden deflation or explode). I either keep them as spare or use at the rear, no matter how much thread they have.

Top Bottom