Uneven wear of tyre

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

geodesy

Club Guest
Hi all, Has anyone experience tyre worn out unevenly, at the inner part? This only happened to the rear tyres. Front tyres are okay. I am sending my tyres for an inspection soon but thought if anyone here experienced or know it for sharing? I hope there is no big problem... the ride is E34. Cheers,Geo

Your alignment is off either camber or toe or both. Best you check in on that, its not a tire warranty issue....GL

Is your car lowered?

This has impact on the camber of your wheels. Even if it is not, a slight negative camber is normal, AFAIK. It is accentuated if the car is lowered. There are gadgets that you can use to reduce the negative camber - can be costly. Check out http://[URL="http://www.eurocarmotorsport.com"]www.eurocarmotorsport.com[/URL]

If it is uneven, as in patches - could be what is termed as flatspotting. This happens if the car stays in one place for too long or if you have been jamming your brakes (less likely to be the case if ur car has ABS).

more wear on the inner part of the rear tyres are a norm. The rear wheels have more negative camber for better roadholding. the fronts have only slight negative camber so that it would understeer more but the tail start wagging...

So it's advisable to flip the rear tyres as it reach about 50% threadwear, so that it'll wear out evenly after that... (NOTE: flip means remove the tyres from the rims and flip the tyres so tat the inner sidewall faces the outer side)

fabianyee said:
more wear on the inner part of the rear tyres are a norm. The rear wheels have more negative camber for better roadholding. the fronts have only slight negative camber so that it would understeer more but the tail start wagging...

So it's advisable to flip the rear tyres as it reach about 50% threadwear, so that it'll wear out evenly after that... (NOTE: flip means remove the tyres from the rims and flip the tyres so tat the inner sidewall faces the outer side)

I thought BMW does not recommend any sort of tyre flipping or rotating.:confused:

Thanks KL2DC, ichiwan2 and fabian for the input. Will get it checked soon...

"flipping" means that there may be less rubber on the road if one side is worn. And it should only be done if your tyres are of symmetrical design, something to do with the compound/tread pattern properties...

I do it (flipping) as my e21's negative camber is significant. I have GY F1GSD3 which are symmetrical.

My E30M40 (rear)also like that...but only on the left side only..tayar makan dalam..(common term used by tyreman.)According to the tyreman, my rear axle mungkin bengkok..nothing much I can do except flipping the tyre I guess?

Certainly a pain for those daily users... it was shocking to see the tyres eaten up that way!

That is the norm... to get the stability..
Depends on the load you always have, I have my camber adjusted to positive camber (wear off outer)...cos my tyre is assymmetrical design (Pilot Sport 2). Otherwise, I put in more pressure (35-38psi) to let it wear off the centre...

I say before performance is not free....so even tyres will wear faster when u lower to get better handling.....

sure some will disagree and then I will say, you drive faster round corners to wear the OUTSIDE as well loh....

anakin said:
My E30M40 (rear)also like that...but only on the left side only..tayar makan dalam..(common term used by tyreman.)According to the tyreman, my rear axle mungkin bengkok..nothing much I can do except flipping the tyre I guess?

Have u checked d bearing?

Bro..since each tyre wears differently due to road surface, number of passengers, and load, it is advisable to rotate your tyres every 5,000 Km for bias tyres and 7,500 Km or 10,000 Km for radial tyres.

In order to obtain even wear and longer tread life,uneven or abnormal tyre wear is not always caused by over or under inflation, as the wheel alignment can also cause problems such as incorrect toe in - toe out which can cause abnormal wear, tear, worn groove edge and a feather wear appearance. Besides that,improper camber also can cause irregular wear and will result in one tyre wearing out faster than the others. I think this is d most common problem.Lastly d cars improper caster also can cause irregular wear and worn spots, resulting in one side of the tyre becoming slippery.

I'm using a 17"on my Civic so i regurlary do a tyre rotation.D tyre really last a little bit longer since i dont need to change it if it wears on one side which is normally in d inner side.I guess,regular tyre rotation will help to lengthen the life of your tyres as well as reduce any uneven wear. If you want to avoid changing your tyres regurlarly,tyre rotation is important especially for front-wheel-drive models where the front tyres have to do a lot of work. Normally i change d back tyres to front and flip them d opposite and same goes for d back. Make sure you check your tyre pressures after rotation and also balancing.

Hi all,

Thought of updating everyone about this, apparently the shop can only perform alignment for the front wheels for E34. Uneven wear at the rear? The advice is flip every 5000km. Sounds consistent with the comment here.

I have not checked on my bearing yet. Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks for all input.

Cheers,
Geo

I think I missed out a crucial point...

Hi all,

What really happened to me is as per attached. The uneven wear is just on the rear driver side tyre. The lining in brown colour is the wear.

My car is not on lowered springs. Tyre shop suggested to check on arm bush. Any advice folks?

Cheers,
Geo

Are you always alone while driving?
And where is your battery located?

Can you solve the puzzle now?

hehe..ciao.

Top Bottom