Undercarriage Cover..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

soorian

Club Guest
Sufis,Just noticed by my Mechanic my Undercarriage cover is missing. He told me its not that important, and it will cost me Rm900 (Unreal) :eek: .. Please advise do i need that ?Thanks

if it's the alloy block then it's VERY important... if it's the cast iron M43TU block then still ok...

cos when the hot aluminum alloy block comes into contact with water, it might crack... u wouldn't want that 2 happen

Good Info Fabian. How do i know is it Cast Iron or Alloy Block ? Mine is 2001 Aug. Pre-facelift

pre facelift 318i is the M43TUB19... AFAIK, it's cast iron... but don't take my word for it, may others can chime in on this...

if i'm not mistaken its called oil sump cover at cost about RM750 last checked at Stuttgart PJ on March 2005. :yes:

BM8118 - Do your Car have that ?

Those Sifus with E46 Please advise do you guys got Oil sump Cover ?

Huh??? For E46, it's the aluminium alloy cover and I think it's very important with our road conditions. Mine has taken a few dents due to high unpainted road humps etc. I can't imagine how the inerts would have been affected without the cover. This is despite the fact that I'm usually very careful with road humps and potholes. If the car was purchased from auto bavaria, then they should make sure it's there?

"JPB - Huh??? For E46, it's the aluminium alloy cover "

Are we talking about same cover here. The one i am talking is the Black rubber Cover below the engine bay, That covers the radiator and so on. When open my bonet, i can see the floor. Is there a cover below it ?

Cheers

Originally posted by soorian@May 17 2005, 11:38 AM

Are we talking about same cover here. The one i am talking is the Black rubber Cover below the engine bay, That covers the radiator and so on. When open my bonet, i can see the floor. Is there a cover below it ?

Cheers
Ooops... Sorry, I was mistaken then. Yes, there is a rubber or board cover below the engine bay. I think it's important cos if it covers the oil sump, the latter is located at a sensitive area prone to impact i.e. when going over nasty road humps etc. Hence, it's best to get it or it's gonna be more painful to fix an oil leak from a damaged oil sump.

mine doesn't come with it coz it's the older version. i got a piece but there's no place to bolt it at the back.

hence i'm selling mine for half price.

pls pm me if you're keen.

chew

Originally posted by soorian@May 17 2005, 06:38 PM

Cheers
the cover which is the just under the radiator serve as a diverter and some aerodynamic function.
1. it divert water from splashing to engine compartment and belts when you go over a pool of water.

2. for aerodynamic function, it divert the air flow "smoothly" thru the undercarriage and create a downforce on the car.

hope this the cover that you are taking about.. :dunno:

This cover is missing from my car (E36) for a few years and it did not cause much problem. Sometime see water splash stain on the radiator wind housing and engine compartment.

extract from etk of the 'cover" marked as 22

i had it until some minor accident. didn't replace after that. but notice my engine compartment is getting dirty and if sand or other particles going to touch and bonded together with the belts and other stuff, its going to be bad for the car. Thought of getting one but too costly for a cover. So thinking of going to my workshop and custom make a cover made of steel/metal sheet. It will be much cheaper if i'm not wrong. CHEERS.

Originally posted by bm8118@May 18 2005, 10:13 PM
i had it until some minor accident. didn't replace after that. but notice my engine compartment is getting dirty and if sand or other particles going to touch and bonded together with the belts and other stuff, its going to be bad for the car. Thought of getting one but too costly for a cover. So thinking of going to my workshop and custom make a cover made of steel/metal sheet. It will be much cheaper if i'm not wrong. CHEERS.
why not try fiber material at bawah pokok.

I am also looking for one.

anyone have the drawing with complete dimension for this cover? i want to custom made it

Ooppsss...Mine also dun have...Oh no...I wonder which burger stole it...*bugger* :beaten:

Top Bottom