Trasmission System Indicator Lamp

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

taggnas

Club Guest
Hi Guys,Has anyone experienced this before..... referring to this symbol (the one with the exclaimation symbol surrounded by gears)This used to happen to me once in a while but lately it has been happening almost everyday! I got my car checked and it showed that the stall speed sensor needs replacing. I got it changed and the problems still persist!! Then my mechanic (Ah Meng MSpeed, USJ) suggested to update the software but that too is useless. This problem usually happens when I am idle (car not moving during jams or at the traffic lights) and I usually "reset" it by putting the car back to "P", set the handbrake, off both air cond and radio and then off the engine. I will then start again after about 10 seconds and the car is back to normal until it happens again. When the indicator lamp is on, the car is still drivable but it seems to be stuck in one gear. When the indicator lamp comes on, I noticed the the revs are inconsistent (up and down between 500 to 700). Usually under normal conditions my revs are at 650 rpm on idle. So I was wondering, if anyone out has faced this same/similar problem. I am hoping that you could guide me with your experience. Thanking you guys in advance.

I also kena 2 times since I bought my car 2 years back ..... last time I kena was about a month ago ... After service my gearbox and change the filter then ok already ... Corect me if I m wrong but may be got problem with the gearbox sensor laa ...

try check battery voltage,if below than 11.4v, transmission indicator akan menyala. biasanya sbb alternator lemah..my car kena problem yang sama before. need half year to solve.

bro, im a newbie...let me share u my experience....bought my e46 last week...got stuck at LDP traffic jam and suddenly same thing come out...the indicator...call my mech, he said slowly fine a place to pull aside and restart...then shd be ok for a while..but basically the gearbox got problem, slip all the tiime n day b4 got knockking feeling on the 1stgear...i was on D mode and accelerate also like the car not moving....so i slowly drive to my mech shop and now my car going thru some gearbox ops... (lucky my gearbox is under warranty, sighh).

Friends,

I've had my 328 for a month now. The manual mentions this glitch, and advice is to stopa in Park mode and restart.This has happened to me a couple of times. I notice that it happens only when the outside temperature is hot. I'm driving daily to Seremban and back. No problems during fast driving, up to 200 kmph. While fast driving, the gear shifts are very smooth and almost imperceptable. Sometimes jerks when I shift to reverse or drive. My mileage is pretty low, 95000km. I'll probably go for a ATF flush and filter change first, and change the sensor. I wonder whether a gearbox oil cooler would work?

kalau tak salah aku lah itu semua tanda2 gearbox nak ader masalah tuh.. org kata remap ecu, ader org kata tukar minyak. ader org kata letak fan bagi ecu sejuk. tapi masalah nyer macam mana nak elakan dari masalah nie terus berlaku...

keta_mainan;418239 said:
kalau tak salah aku lah itu semua tanda2 gearbox nak ader masalah tuh.. org kata remap ecu, ader org kata tukar minyak. ader org kata letak fan bagi ecu sejuk. tapi masalah nyer macam mana nak elakan dari masalah nie terus berlaku...

tukar keta jepun.. kamikaze style.. :top:

bxnut;418238 said:
Friends,

I've had my 328 for a month now. The manual mentions this glitch, and advice is to stopa in Park mode and restart.This has happened to me a couple of times. I notice that it happens only when the outside temperature is hot. I'm driving daily to Seremban and back. No problems during fast driving, up to 200 kmph. While fast driving, the gear shifts are very smooth and almost imperceptable. Sometimes jerks when I shift to reverse or drive. My mileage is pretty low, 95000km. I'll probably go for a ATF flush and filter change first, and change the sensor. I wonder whether a gearbox oil cooler would work?

There is a gearbox oil filter cooler already installed. it is situated just behind the main radiator (under the passenger side headlamp). You can see two half inch tubing going to another smaller radiator. That is your ATF cooler.

Suggest that you replace the ATF oil and change the filter before you hit 100K Km.

When you get the "!" with the gear symbol, it means that there is auto transmission error. If the error cannot be reset by stopping and restarting the car, it will goes into "LIMB" mode. i.e. the gearbox is always engaged in "2" which allows you to limb back to the nearest workshop for repair. This is a safety feature to prevent further damage to your gearbox.

The failure of the gearbox could be due to the following:-
1. solenoid valves not not activating - this can be check by a diagnostic tool. Error message is recorded.
2. Choked filter or lack of ATF fluid. - this can be rectified by changing new filter or topping up. check for leakage as it not usual for the gearbox to lose ATF fluid from the gearbox.
3. Master pump for ATF faulty. - cause by misalignment of gearbox due to worn out gearbox mounting/busing. This is caused by worn out oil bushing and rapid loss of ATF fluid. Once the ATF fluid is not present, the gearbox will not engaged properly. You will feel the engine rev going up but the car is not moving. Do not attempt to drive in this condition as the clutch plate will wear off and also the busing will grind all the metal filing into the gearbox. Better to tow the car back to the workshop and save some money to completely overhaul the gearbox.

Dear Jarrance,

Thanks alot for the advice and technical info. I will change as you have suggested.

Taggnas, did u get your problem solved? Same thing happened to my 328, year 2000. Apparently its quite common.. some say its due to electrical problem, not enough voltage from alternator or improper grounding...

check it out here at e46fanatics http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=469802&highlight=stall+speed

I've not got the time to check it yet, so im living with switching the car off and restart it back and it works fine.. lately this problem happens more, and i notice that when it happens, the car is very sluggish..

Breakpopin;418752 said:
Taggnas, did u get your problem solved? Same thing happened to my 328, year 2000. Apparently its quite common.. some say its due to electrical problem, not enough voltage from alternator or improper grounding...

check it out here at e46fanatics http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=469802&highlight=stall+speed

I've not got the time to check it yet, so im living with switching the car off and restart it back and it works fine.. lately this problem happens more, and i notice that when it happens, the car is very sluggish..

No la! Haven't had the time to get on to this matter yet! Have been busy at work and am looking for some time to solve this problem once and for all. Currently, am having a exact lifestyle as you.... with switching the car off and restart it back :(

Bro,

I got the same problem lan January. Drove normally until one day noticed transmission slippage in 1st & 2nd gear. Then try to go home on 'Limp' mode until the tranny overheats and need to pull by roadside. Next I know, that my e46 need to go for a complete tranny overhaul plus torque converter replacement. After the overhaul, gear as smooth as a new car, but now new problem, blinking oil light....

Bro,

I got the same problem last January. Drove normally until one day noticed transmission slippage in 1st & 2nd gear. Then try to go home on 'Limp' mode until the tranny overheats and need to pull by roadside. Next I know, that my e46 need to go for a complete tranny overhaul plus torque converter replacement. After the overhaul, gear as smooth as a new car, but now new problem, blinking oil light....

Hi

I know i am new to this forum.. but as I am working in a workshop, I saw this problem keep happening to many E46 customers that come to the workshop. And as I diagnose and told my boss, he suggested the customer to go through a gearbox overhaul. It may seems unbelievable, but after the gearbox overhaul, the customer is happy cause the car can finally repaired and the problem is gone. :top::top:

my experience..

after put graunding cable, install additional cooler for gearbox, change gearbox oil and filter after every 25k km, nothing problem sampai skarang although my milage is 180k...walaupun sentiasa rembat my car..its still smooth until now

Wan Shahmi,
Good to hear that.
How to put extra cooler? How much did it cost? Where did you do it? Extra grounding cable from where to where? Thanks.

Well guys,

I've done it. Went to BIMMER auto. Got the gearoil and filter changed. Also due for service. Had to do 100,000 service too. He also changed air cond belt(cracked), and a sensor at the radiator. Total damage was almost $1200.00.

Gear shifts are the same. But the problem seems to have disappeared. The pick up is much smoother and faster now.

Unfortunately as luck would have it, the next day, my rear right window refused to go up. Had to book into AB Sg Besi for Wednesday.

Selvam of Bimmer auto says an extra cooler for the gear box would not be wise because:
1. High pressure system might leak.
2. Not much space down there anywhere

So, for now, I'm off the idea.

Top Bottom