Trans Failsafe Prog

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

nohkt

Club Guest
Hi, I am a new member of this forum. Would like to consult all sifu/guru on a problem experienced by my 2003 E39 recently - my car has this error "Trans Failsafe prog" on the instrument panel. I have to step very hard on the accelerator to move on straight road and it can't even move up a slope at all in car park. Try searching on the forum for similar problem & symptom but didn't really get the right hit.Can anyone enlighten what could be the likely problem (gearbox etc) and any good and reasonable workshop to recommend around KL area?

find a workshop to diagnose first.. i dun really know workshops around kl. but urs most probably torque converter kong.. ive read this kind of problems sumwhere.. try to search it using the search function.. one more thing, introduce yourself in the newbie section first. tq

As this is your first posting, please use the newbie template to introduce more of yourself before you talk about
your problem.
Secondly, it is not a big problem to the SIFUS here, especially to someone whose name start with J.
Cheers

Thanks for the advice. Will introduce myself in newbie section shortly.

Had sent to Autobavaria for check, they claim the gearbox needs to be replaced with a hefty 28K....would like to consult all for 2nd opinion.

nohkt;739974 said:

Had sent to Autobavaria for check, they claim the gearbox needs to be replaced with a hefty 28K....would like to consult all for 2nd opinion.

1. Try to look for uncle Jarance to diagnose your problem. He seems to be MIA nowadays.
2. No offense but I wanna ask you a question, do you look like a chicken? Because AB is slaughtering you like a chicken, you auto gearbox rebuilt won't cost you that much.
3. Cheer up, that's E39, after that, you enjoy the car like no others...

nohkt;739937 said:
Hi, I am a new member of this forum. Would like to consult all sifu/guru on a problem experienced by my 2003 E39 recently - my car has this error "Trans Failsafe prog" on the instrument panel. I have to
step very hard on the accelerator to move on straight road and it can't even move up a slope at all in car park. Try searching on the forum for similar problem & symptom but didn't really get the right hit.

Can anyone enlighten what could be the likely problem (gearbox etc) and any good and reasonable workshop to recommend around KL area?

I had similar experience before where the car was unable to to engage 1st and 5th gear. Could be the ABS Module?
Try,
WP Auto
No.41 Jalan 3/5
Pandan Mewah Industrial Park
68000 Ampang
Selangor.
Albert Fang 012-2017792

GPS N03 07.737
E101 46.133

Thanks to all for your advice. Will update again of the result.

ay39 - even though I may look like a chicken, I am definitely not going to be one for AB...haha.. thanks for your encouragement

nohkt;739974 said:

yr car is 9 yrs old.never send an old car to the dealer!you will get slaughtered.a gearbox overhaul costs approx rm6k at mscope in batu caves.search and you will find.

ay39;739984 said:
1. Try to look for uncle Jarance to diagnose your problem. He seems to be MIA nowadays.
2. No offense but I wanna ask you a question, do you look like a chicken? Because AB is slaughtering you like a chicken

Maybe Uncle Jarance is looking for "chicken".

28k huh?? Can convert the engine to V8 and mod the car. Maybe can get spare cash to buy chicken sumore

The last time the error came out on my dash, the ABS module was the culpit. changed it for 2k. The car goes into safe mode hence the loss of Power.

28 k can buy another decent 36.

initialM;740039 said:
Maybe Uncle Jarance is looking for "chicken".

28k huh?? Can convert the engine to V8 and mod the car. Maybe can get spare cash to buy chicken sumore

I could not start my E39 one morning - and I suspected the battery (1.5 years old). So I took my E30 to work and when I came back in the evening I tired starting the E39 again and it worked. However the 'Trans Failsafe Prog' came on and I noticed a very poor acceleration from stationary. So I tried stopping and starting a few times and the acceleration went back to normal and the 'Trans Failsafe Prog' disappeared. I used the car for another 2 days with no problems and then had the battery changed. So far (nearly 2 weeks now) with everyday usage, there has not been a recurrence of the problem.

Not sure if this is something that could happen when the battery is weak. Anyone with similar experience?

niche;745909 said:
I could not start my E39 one morning - and I suspected the battery (1.5 years old). So I took my E30 to work and when I came back in the evening I tired starting the E39 again and it worked. However the 'Trans Failsafe Prog' came on and I noticed a very poor acceleration from stationary. So I tried stopping and starting a few times and the acceleration went back to normal and the 'Trans Failsafe Prog' disappeared. I used the car for another 2 days with no problems and then had the battery changed. So far (nearly 2 weeks now) with everyday usage, there has not been a recurrence of the problem.

Not sure if this is something that could happen when the battery is weak. Anyone with similar experience?

Yes when the alternator or the battery is kong the gearbox will enter the Trans Failsafe Prog, which is designed to protect your gearbox from any damage due to loss of power to engage gears properly. I've had this experience twice.

Bro nohkt,

I'm surprised AB didn't ask you to change the car. Or did they?

Hi,
I've experienced the same prob wt my E39 last year n was RM1800 poorer when they recon the torque converter. However i just got to know a very reliable and experienced workshop in segambut who can replace 2nd hand tourque converter at RM500 plus.Try sending it to them for 2nd opinion.

Ah Kiong- Berlin Motors, Segambut- 0193398821

To op,

My e39 last get the msg because i drive fast over a puddle of water in heavy rain. Water seeped into a wiring connector sensor below the chassis, connected to the gearbox. Just need to disconnect, blow dry, and run a diagnostic to clear the error.

I guess it helps if u can find a mechanic you can trust to run a diagnostic.

Regards

today is my turn. This time it is the gbox not any electrical issues.

Bomin reset it many times and checked it. Most probably is the clutch slip and it will go to limp-home mode i.e at 3rd or 4th gear..

I am not sure which gear is limp mode as when I can put it to M mode (sometimes can't got to M mode) can see it is stucked at 5th.

Sometimes 4th..sometimes only S mode. It will not go to M mode.

Approx repair cost is estimated at RM6k to rebuild the whole 'box . MK parts Kepong has used one at 3.5k exchange with the current one. Some in Mudah I saw going for 5k..

Anyone has similar problems to share?

Cheers

Error message is now permanent Trans Fail.Safe Mode...huhu..

Top Bottom