Thinking of getting a 318i 2nd hand. Thoughts?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jazzler

Club Guest
Hi to all!Been browsing through this forum for a few days now and I enjoy the feedbacks and info I gleaned so far.I know there's a lot of fans of bimmer amongst you so I would really appreciate the general feedbacks from you all as to how good a 318i is and is it worth getting a 2nd hand one?Thanks in advance.

BanyakMasukWang;464763 said:
You said you have read the forum. So what do you think?

The general sentiment is that once you go UDM, you'll never go back. Nevermind it being 2nd hand.

The usual prudence of getting a 2nd hand car applies as much to a bimmer as much as any other car. Particularly to look out for is the coolant system and the gearbox. I've also read something about AB servicing but not sure what that means.

And the 318i is a good entrypoint for 1st timer. That's a brief summary of what I've got so far. Anything else that I've missed?

^ Agreed. IMHO, the 320i is THE entry level to the real BMW experience. No offense to 318er's. Inline 6 FTW!

jazzler;464829 said:
The general sentiment is that once you go UDM, you'll never go back. Nevermind it being 2nd hand.

The usual prudence of getting a 2nd hand car applies as much to a bimmer as much as any other car. Particularly to look out for is the coolant system and the gearbox. I've also read something about AB servicing but not sure what that means.

And the 318i is a good entrypoint for 1st timer. That's a brief summary of what I've got so far. Anything else that I've missed?

For 318i, here goes the general points:-

1. Buy the one with the steptronic gearbox - I think from year 2000 onwards.
2. Make sure gearbox oil changed before and correct oil as well. Maybe should change every 30-50k km.
3. Power window lifters fail frequently. Budget for at least one to fail every year.
4. Make sure oil changed every 10k km with synthetic.
5. Control arm should have been changed if above 100k km.
6. Control arm bushes maybe every 50k km.
7. Engine mountings if above 100k km.
8. Do the usual checks for oil leaks, brakes (ABS test), coolent system etc.
9. Make sure seller gives you 4 keys, 2 normal, one wallet and one wallet key.

The 1.9 is more reliable than the later 2.0. Generally fuel consumption is good. Not a quick car but solid and reliable if well looked after. You will be slower than the Altis 1.8 and Civic 1.8 if you buy the 1.9 model. Generally, make sure there is a full service history. Then, budget 5k for potential repairs. If no service history, budget 20k. The above is just a short summary. I can't recall everything right now.

As what Mizhan said, if you have the money go for I6 UDM's. You wont regret it.

pswchan;464942 said:

2. Make sure gearbox oil changed before and correct oil as well. Maybe should change every 30-50k km.
3. Power window lifters fail frequently. Budget for at least one to fail every year.

The 1.9 is more reliable than the later 2.0. Generally fuel consumption is good. Not a quick car but solid and reliable if well looked after. You will be slower than the Altis 1.8 and Civic 1.8 if you buy the 1.9 model. Generally, make sure there is a full service history. Then, budget 5k for potential repairs. If no service history, budget 20k. The above is just a short summary. I can't recall everything right now.

bro, may i know what are the wallet keys? how does it look like ? does all UDMs have 4 keys?

btw, what is the market price for a 318i and 320i right now?

pswchan;464942 said:

not necessarily true....

bronx;464997 said:
bro, may i know what are the wallet keys? how does it look like ? does all UDMs have 4 keys?

btw, what is the market price for a 318i and 320i right now?

When new, all E46 from AB came with 4 keys. A wallet key is one which you can put into your wallet as it is short and thin. You can use it like a normal key to start the car and open the door etc but you cannot use it too frequently as it may break after a while. It is meant for emergency use only but I suspect you can use it 100-200 times. I've used mine about 50 times and it is still ok.

A good 2001 E46 318i with full service history would be above 75k. You can get cheaper but unlikely to be cared for properly. Reason is that it costs money to care for a beemer and those who did will not sell for too low unless desperate for cash. I dunno about 320i as they were not CKD.

QD250;465002 said:
not necessarily true....

How I wish.......... sometimes struggle to keep up with modified Myvi. Wish I had bought the 325 instead but the maintenance would be nowhere near this cheap. Nevertheless, I am moving on to another brand soon which will be substantially quicker although it will be a base model and a larger car..... hee-hee.

jazzler;464757 said:
Hi to all!

Been browsing through this forum for a few days now and I enjoy the feedbacks and info I gleaned so far.

I know there's a lot of fans of bimmer amongst you so I would really appreciate the general feedbacks from you all as to how good a 318i is and is it worth getting a 2nd hand one?

Thanks in advance.
As with any other 2nd hand car makes, as long as it has been well maintained, it is worth it. You are thinking of the e30, e36 or e46?

c-square;465065 said:
As with any other 2nd hand car makes, as long as it has been well maintained, it is worth it. You are thinking of the e30, e36 or e46?

e46. I am currently awaiting for more info on a potential deal for a '03.

Bmw e46 2003

Bro,

I have E46 318i for sale. Black interior and exterior, CKD from Auto Bavaria.
Year Sept 2003, Well maintain and serviced at schedule time.
The car is standard and its actually my wife's car, we are upgrading and
also it come with a no plate WLC 21.
Call me 0162386445 for viewing and price.

Maz

Top Bottom