An E46 purchase

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Hey QD & Sangkuriang,

Thanks a lot for your infos, guys. You are a really cool bunch of people.

QD - you seemed to have gotten a pretty good mileage car when you bought your Jap spec. At 23K, it's considered "darn low" - for me at least. But then again, I would have to agree with you that there might be a possibility of the mileage being tampered with.

4k to put back in par seems a reasonable amount. I only can hope by the time I get mine, the bill will come up to as similar as yours - plus, minus. (of course depending on the condition of the car, that is)

And Sangkuriang, you seemed to have gotten even the most in-depth infos available. I'm impressed. Extremely impresed.

Will keep all the important & relevant tips on hand when I go scouting for my ride.

Don't worry, I'll keep you all posted on my hunt. Who else can I share and trust besides you guys here ... lol

And many, many thanks again for all the invaluable advices which have been given to me thus far.

Cheers!

Hi QD250, ur Jap spec does it have speed cut at 180kph? and do u have problem with the radio can't tune to local station?

Thanks!

astroboy;257323 said:
Hi QD250, ur Jap spec does it have speed cut at 180kph? and do u have problem with the radio can't tune to local station?

Thanks!

Astro,

no speed cut thus far, can breach 180 so many times already. see my post in other thread.

radio, is the next thing on my list to change la.....

3 am posting becoz cannot sleep here in JB mah..... some people will see me breach the 180 again later today from jb back to kl....

Basically, I'm curious as to what is the top speed of a 318i?

Though generally I'm not one who speeds - other than the occasional highway runs, but I'm rather interested to know what is the maximum top speed that a 318i can attain.

I heard from friends that one shouldn't "always speed" in the 318i because it is made for cruising. Anything above 160km/h (though I know it can go faster than that)... would result in faster tear & wear of the engine - (of course, they might be wrong and which is why I am seeking advices & opinions from the pros here if that statement quoted by my friends is true or not).

The 6-potters are a different story altogether though.

Thanks and Cheers!

jazz1011;257680 said:
Basically, I'm curious as to what is the top speed of a 318i?

Though generally I'm not one who speeds - other than the occasional highway runs, but I'm rather interested to know what is the maximum top speed that a 318i can attain.

I heard from friends that one shouldn't "always speed" in the 318i because it is made for cruising. Anything above 160km/h (though I know it can go faster than that)... would result in faster tear & wear of the engine - (of course, they might be wrong and which is why I am seeking advices & opinions from the pros here if that statement quoted by my friends is true or not).

The 6-potters are a different story altogether though.

Thanks and Cheers!

the top speed of a 99/00 318i auto is 202kmh based on the owners handbook....this would be without aircond, 2 persons, 1/2 tank of fuel and standard 16 rims....

with 17/18 rims and a/c on, it should be about 185to190kmh which means taking into account a 5% speedo overstatement (which all cars suffer some degree from)...should be an indicated 190 to 199 kmh.......

there is no issues with the engine with running the car at 180kmh or so for extended periods of time as long as the revs are below the redline and the throttle not floored all the time........

however, think running at the redline for a long time will stress out the waterpump, alternator and power steering pump as these are belt driven from the engine and would be running extra fast...think over a few years that might wear out faster....

that said, my current car 323ci - has been driven enthusactically over the last 5 years and 85k km and there has; to date; been no issues with the water pump, alternator and powersteering pump.....and these 3 items are the same for 4 potters and 6 potters

just changed the waterpump last month but it was more preventative as i had to change a leaking hose at that time.....

Thanks for the info - and the additional infos which you had given me, bmwcar.

At least now I know that keeping the revs below the redline and not flooring the throttle helps prevent the wear & tear of those mentioned parts.

Have the best day ahead.

Cheers!

Having said that, to some extent, for a JDM AT gearbox, if you are have driven above 80% of the OEM top speed for more than 2 hours continuously, the AT gear box wear will double and maintenance interval shall reduce by half. I wonder the same is applicable to UDM?

AT gearbox is the costliest weakness when it comes to frequent speeding and MT is the recommended car if you frequent high speed driving.

According to one foreman friend who has striped his E34 AT gearbox and rebuild it with new parts which cost more than RM10k, BMW gearbox are built to run smooth when gear change took place and to accomplish that, the low pressure pump will run longer during gear change allowing the AT clutch pack to slip before the high pressure pump kicks in. The slipping action will wear the clutch packs faster than JDM and create lots of heat to the AT fluid, which is not a good idea in the long run. He further assures me that all BMW AT gearbox will fail earlier than JDM boxes, the question is whether its on the 3rd year, or 5th year depending on your luck.

Back to the 80% threshold, E46 N42 top speed is declared at 220kph, 80% of that is 176kph. So try not to drive above that speed for too long, then we shall able to cheat the premature AT box failure ;D

Thanks for the tip, Astroboy.

Shall be careful of the speed should I get the 318i later on.

As a matter of fact, I doubt that I"ll ever reach 176kph either - 160kph maybe, yes.

All-in-all, thanks for all the infos guys.

Cheers!

hi jazz, any update on your hunting? did u manage to test drive any ? Which location are you from?

jazz1011;257240 said:
Acidburn,

You seemed to know very well about how & when the Japs drive their cars ...lol

But then, it is something that I have heard of too, myself - except that I do not know as detailed as you - like if their company subsidies their monthly ticket & which part of Japan it is applicable. Glad you could share those infos.

Having said that, even if the mileage of the car is low for a 5 - 7 year old car, but I reckon it is still time to change the various wear & tear parts right - when we buy it?

Cheers!

Hello Jazz,

I finished my 1st degree in Japan and stay there for 4 years. Return back to Malaysia and work with the Japanese Company. Then I continue my Master Degree for another 2 years in Japan too. So nuthin to LOL lah bro, I can even read the Japanese Charector in your Japan Recond BMW dashboard and at the bonet tool compartment. You need to learn from experience lah bro. In fact when I first get my ride which was also Japan recond 2003 bimmer, I had send to AB for 2nd Inspection which was required for mileage of 50kkm :burnout:

Still shopping..

While shopping around, I was also told odometer can be tempered with :eek:

I also noticed the older E46 2001-2002 has an air pump, a big MILO can thingy, black plastic box behind the driver side headlight.

It seems the post 2002 model don't have it anymore and its meant for pumping air into the exhaust manifold to reduce smog for cleaner emission.

Can we discard the whole system because any failure to the system that has an electric pump, few hoses, clips and filter, would cost another few k on the maintenance bill.

Any sifu can shed some light on this subject? Its part of E46 puchase decision.

jazz1011;257787 said:
Thanks for the tip, Astroboy.

Shall be careful of the speed should I get the 318i later on.

As a matter of fact, I doubt that I"ll ever reach 176kph either - 160kph maybe, yes.

All-in-all, thanks for all the infos guys.

Cheers!

Hopefully u can register yourself as BMW Club Malaysia Official Club Member when u own a BMW soon. Looking forward to see your new born BMW in the showroom thread.:top:

I was told by a friend that his average yearly maintenance cost is about RM8k per year on his 2004 E46 318.

So scary meh?

Hi Seas,

Thanks for your concern. I'm from Petaling Jaya.

As with most 1st time Bimmer owner wannabes, I'm still hunting around. Need to be real selective and careful. But I think I would have one way or another shortlisted my options. It's most likely gonna be a N42 318i - or if I have the extra cash when the time comes - the 320i 2.2 .

Went to a few reputable grey importers around the Klang Valley area but was unable to test out any units. Well, as you know some of them are real stuck-up salesmen. They need your confirmation on the purchase only then they will allow a test drive - so I'd just walk off if I'm met with these kind of sales people.

Acidburn, you are indeed a great help.

You are right. There is still a lot for me to learn. I'm still a greenhorn and I'm not ashamed to admit to it. But I feel extremely lucky to have a bunch of helpful people in this forum - like you, who are willing to assist and guide by giving me ample advices that can't be found elsewhere.

Perhaps, when I have finally scouted my ride, I could ask you to come along to help me check the condition of it - if it is not too much trouble for you. And since u can read Japanese too, I think I really need your help, Acidburn.

Till then. Have the best day ahead everyone.

Cheers!
Cheers!

astroboy;257838 said:
I was told by a friend that his average yearly maintenance cost is about RM8k per year on his 2004 E46 318.

So scary meh?

Yo astroboy

Don't be like chicken coward with no balls lah...If u have a dream to own your first UDM..all the maintenance is scheduled upfront, hence your pocket should be ready at all the time.

It's getting headache and worst if the roadtax and insurance expired and at the same time your AC Schnitzer, Hamann, Hartge or Breyton 19" rims tyres required to be change which will cost u about RM1,450/pc.

P/s : But I think your friend hao-siao u only with service RM8k/year :thefinger:

Hey Jazz1011

FYI, in our recent TT, one of my friend decided to sell his E46 2001 converted to facelift and equipped with AC Schnitzer bodykits and 18" sports rim. He is upgrading to E60. Very damn sporty exterior with white color and black roof. No further modification required and this will save u approximately RM20k in accessories.

Ultimate Driving Machines in front of Starbucks
PngTT0815b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Some other BMWCM TT forumers ride to share with. Not for sale though !! :)
We are always welcome the newbies to join the club as Official Member.

DSC_8085.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_8086.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Slide2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hi Jazz, get an expert to go around with you before you make you final call. Few things you need to make sure they are in good condition (as least no leaking) so that you could save your $ for engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter, coolant, air filter, lining (brake pad), transmissiom fluid, differential oil, spark plugs, fan belt, battery change. 1. Power Steering in and out hose not leaking, 2. All 4 Absorbers no leaking, 3. Engine Mounting are good 4. Lower Arm Supports are good 5. Radiator/coolant expansion no leaking 5. rear axle no leaking 6. all lightings are good 7. Power windows are functioning 8. Petrol Cover needle??? is not broken. So be all I know when the first time I bought my 325i. Hope it will help.

Thank for all the nice shots.

Marvellous machines you have there guys.

I'll DEFINITELY take an expert with me before I make my final call. That is a sure thing.

And thanks for highlighting all the "look-out-for-items" list when I go scouting for my ride.

Many thanks guys.

Top Bottom