These Oils.....

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

tongsatriani

Club Guest
Hello All,Are these terms the same & are they sharing the same category type of oil?1. Rear diff oil2. Axle oil3. Final drive oil4. Manual Transmission oil

i guess the rear diff., axle and final drive is the same. the manual transmision oil is at front.

regards
manjit

Originally posted by manjit@Jul 9 2006, 07:23 PM
i guess the rear diff., axle and final drive is the same. the manual transmision oil is at front.

regards
manjit
i believe its the same as well for rear diff., axle n final drive

Yeah it is the same if you are driving a manual car only. If it ia an Auto the the gear box oil will be the AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID. ( ATF )

Originally posted by tongsatriani@Jul 9 2006, 07:01 PM
Hello All,

Are these terms the same & are they sharing the same category type of oil?

1. Rear diff oil
2. Axle oil
3. Final drive oil
4. Manual Transmission oil
items no.1 to no.3 are all the same item. meaning a final drive is also called a rear diff or rear axle since most if not all bmw are rear wheel driven. so they are using a similar type of oil.

your manual transmission uses a manual transmission oil or sometimes certain manufacturers do specify the use of ATF for them, so prior to a refill do check on the sticker or user manual for it specification.

an automatic gearbox on the other hand uses a variety of differrent ATF, dextron III being the norm for bmws but a some do use other fluids like
atf-xp, atf-mercon V, type F, type tx and GL grade. so prior to a refill do check on the sticker or user manual for it specification.

Originally posted by vladd_tappish@Jul 9 2006, 09:17 PM
Yeah it is the same if you are driving a manual car only. If it ia an Auto the the gear box oil will be the AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID. ( ATF )

Please check the manual for the rear axle/rear diff oil type. Sometimes the rear diff use limited slip differential gear (LSD) so in this case you have to use LSD type oil.
;)

Please check the manual for the rear axle/rear diff oil type. Sometimes the rear diff use limited slip differential gear (LSD) so in this case you have to use LSD type oil.
;)

Originally posted by vladd_tappish@Jul 9 2006, 09:17 PM

;)

With all these answers, I would joyfully say a Manual Gear Oil can be used on our finals, right? :D

Top Bottom