The Pacific Coast Highway, a journey down Highway 1

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
On the road.... Day 2, Sunday 9 May Part 1

Am back in bolehland!! Great to be back..... jet lagged still but happy. Had tomyam for lunch .... way cool.

Anyway, starting post 1 of Sunday 9 May pics..... we'll start with Fisherman's wharf pics which is next to the pier pics I last posted....

Quite quaint.... a bit more rustic than say fisherman's wharf in San Francisco...its all the better for it BUT ist still all a bit touristy...

DSC_0005.jpg

CSC_0024.jpg

Lots of 'cool' restaurants and shops selling souvenirs and curios...

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

You can get a whale watching tour from here... didnt go as they are said to be a hit and miss affair ie no guarantee you will see any .... more likely seals...

DSC_0019.jpg

Take me to your leader....

DSC_0014.jpg

More nautical themed pics...

DSC_0010.jpg

small boats are catered for as well.... water is very clear...

DSC_0044.jpg

On the road.... Day 2, Sunday 9 May Part 2

After fisherman's wharf we headed out to carmel-by-the-sea but a mix up saw us heading for the '17 Mile Drive' in the Pebble Beach area...

It costs USD9.50 (per car) to get in the whole area but well worth the price of admission....info on the 17 Mile Drive http://www.pebblebeach.com/page.asp?pageName=_17_Mile_Drive_Main

First up pics of beach around the Inn & Links at Spanish Bay...

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0091-1.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

I dunno if they even use this hole....

DSC_0086-1.jpg

On the way to the next vantage point.... stuck camera out window and and just snapped away...

DSC_0112.jpg

Further amusement.....

DSC_0088-1.jpg

Lone cypress area....sorry dunno which is THE lone cypress....

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

The ghost tree area..... eerie .... would scare small animals and children at night ....

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0141-1.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

OK have to say something about the colours.... its not quite summer yet but the colours are just exploding here..... colour everywhere..... you wanted to just take a pic of everything ..... literally...

DSC_0154.jpg

On the road.... Day 2, Sunday 9 May Part 3

Pressed on and spied this along the road.... I just gave up on golf recently but seeing the sign got me going .... coooooool

CSC_0156.jpg

Bag drop area....

DSC_0177.jpg

Near entrance to the gallery cafe....

DSC_0159.jpg

Had lunch on the terrace overlooking hole 1 and The Lodge at Pebble Beach

DSC_0164.jpg

The Lodge... maybachs, bentlys, S500's ..... you can smell the money

DSC_0168.jpg

View of some lucky sods teeing of from hole no 1 (view from terrace of cafe)

CSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

Hole no 1 .... we were just waiting for someone to chase us away.....

DSC_0171.jpg

Beyond bag drop area..... check out all those bags ready to go...

DSC_0173.jpg

Putting practice area.... we had lunch on the terrace at the top right

DSC_0174.jpg

That guys didnt look too happy we were taking their photos....

DSC_0175.jpg

On the road.... Day 2, Sunday 9 May Part 4

We then headed south down Highway 1 aka pacific coast highway...

The Rocky Creek Bridge...

DSC_0199.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

Area surrounding the bridge

DSC_0230.jpg

DSC_0228.jpg

DSC_0224.jpg

DSC_0223.jpg

Water is very clear.... its the Pacific

DSC_0216.jpg

Steep drop.....

DSC_0212.jpg

Beautiful, rugged scenery

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0195.jpg

On the road.... Day 2, Sunday 9 May Part 5

The Bixby Bridge.... the Rocky Creek Bridge's twin.... or at least it seemed to me.... Bixby the is the celeb of the two, dunno why as they seem quite alike.... both are breath taking though.... its almost as if all that concrete is leaping out to the other side.....

DSC_0235.jpg

DSC_0264.jpg

right side...

DSC_0239.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

left side...

DSC_0249.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

view of the bottom....

DSC_0255.jpg

driving away.... looking back at the bixby bridge...

DSC_0269.jpg

On the road.... Day 2, Sunday 9 May Part 6

Pressing on south we got to the Nepenthe restaurant in Big Sur. Its odd but when national geographic magazine lists a restaurant as a must see on its website you take notice. See http://traveler.nationalgeographic.com/drives/pacific-coast-highway/3 (fyi - i used this as part of research for this trip).

Info on Nepenthe is here http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/.

The National Geographic describes Nepenthe as - an indoor-outdoor restaurant perched 800 feet (245 meters) above the sea and famous for its views.... check out theater style seating....

DSC_0306.jpg

Seats with a view....

DSC_0295.jpg

and the view is a million bucks!!

DSC_0328.jpg

DSC_0327.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0330.jpg

DSC_0344.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

DSC_0324.jpg

Called to the bar again.....

DSC_0316.jpg

just a strong cup of joe though.... essential for long drives on the wrong side of the road....

CSC_0319.jpg

Driving conditions look like this (up to Big Sur)....

DSC_0274.jpg

past big sur.....(also the view when driving back towards monterey ie northwards)

DSC_0361.jpg

On the road.... Day 2, Sunday 9 May Part 7

After Nepenthe we decided to head back (northwards).

Decided to look for Carmel-on-the-Sea.... the quirkiest town i've been in in the US.... its like our version of kampung only upscale.... houses so close together, eclectic styles, lotsa green, trees, eco friendly ..... looks expensive too.....the following pics are of the public beach just a stones throw away from city hall...

DSC_0427.jpg

DSC_0446.jpg

Light was fast fading.... its was cold too ...

DSC_0460.jpg

DSC_0443.jpg

DSC_0439.jpg

DSC_0428.jpg

DSC_0457.jpg

Gear time! My trusty Geox shoes!! Great for walking and driving....

CSC_0450.jpg

CSC_0445.jpg

On the road.... Day 2, Sunday 9 May Part 8

This is last batch I want to post for Day 2 May 9.

Just misc pics of surroundings and scenery. My buddy used a polariser filter thingy which made his shots like burst with colour.... damn should've gotten one too...

Driving conditions...

DSC_0382.jpg

DSC_0405.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

Colours everywhere....

DSC_0414.jpg

DSC_0395.jpg

scenery was A+...

DSC_0412.jpg

Dodge prowling....

DSC_0417.jpg

On the road ..... Day 3 10 May

Monday finally comes and its time to go home.

The day starts on a bum note.... its raining...

1a.jpg

Gear ready and we are ready to roll...

1b.jpg

But it quickly clears and we make good progress..... its about 328+ miles to LA..... tried to get shots in from inside the car....

1-1.jpg

Large part is on the 101

2-1.jpg

speed limit varies from the double nickel (55) up to 70 .... signs also state how the limit is enforced .... here it says radar enforced (i guess buy patrol cars) ... sometimes its by "aircraft" ie heli that works in tandem with a balck and white on the ground (we actually saw this in operation..... pretty sneaky this one)..... we kept to the limit most of the time but I did see 110mph ..... 80 is like standstill in this hulking car....

3-1.jpg

small roads out of town....

4-1.jpg

small towns too..... this isnt a town but a collection of structures and a junction masquerading as a town....

DSC_0049.jpg

big rigs are scary when they are alongside.... especially when they suddenly switch lanes..... whoaaaaaaa

DSC_0074-1.jpg

You HAVE to amuse yourself somehow..... 5-6 hours driving cramps your style.....

CSC_0071.jpg

we knew we were getting close when the road opened up (5+ lanes sometimes)...

DSC_0067.jpg

hallelujah......the prize in sight....

5-1.jpg

crap...... LA means traffic....

DSC_0092-1.jpg

petrol was getting low.... we wanted to return car empty.... stresssssss

DSC_0103.jpg

a sign!!!! we are close....

CSC_0102.jpg

we get there finally .... around 6+pm..... relief....

DSC_0107-1.jpg

We unload almost two weeks worth of stuff....

DSC_0106.jpg

I hop onto the enterprise shuttle to get to terminal M of LAX. Reach the airport near 7pm (flight is at 0035)

DSC_0110.jpg

The MAS counters were a sight for sore eyes..... nevermind they opened at 8.35.... I get to kill time walking around

DSC_0109-1.jpg

11.30pm got to the gate ....

DSC_0113.jpg

Going home wohooooo.

On the road..... misc pics - my cloud collection

The blue clear skies made for interesting clouds..... heres the pick of the bunch (yes this is a collection of pictures of clouds...... get over it!)

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

on the road.... misc pics - interesting cars we saw (that I had time to snap)

Infinti g(xx)... dunno 35 or 37 .... 2 door.... sweeeeet...

DSC_0093.jpg

CSC_0035.jpg

Crossfire..... weird and wonderful....

DSC_0106-1.jpg

corvette..... awesome presence

DSC_0066-2.jpg

wearing a bra too..... C cups I figure....

DSC_0068.jpg

hummer....

DSC_0144.jpg

(tired) looking GT.... the 850i

DSC_0355.jpg

On the road.... Tribute to the Dodge Charger

I was skeptical at first when my buddy asked for this car. I was worried by its thirst, bulk and general american-ness. But i was proven wrong.... I wouldnt mind having one myself. The fit and finish and quality is as good as European cars if not better. Power is good.... by seat of my bum, equivalent to say the 328/325 (E36 or newer), engine is smooth 90% of the time but when pushed doesnt have a V rumble.... corners well, slushbox not responsive though reluctant to kickdown.... but on the whole a nice car. We arrived at either end of our journey feeling not too tired.....

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0055-1.jpg

DSC_0055-1.jpg

I recommended this road trip to anyone. Go for it!

nice pics man... u really had a good time....
I miss Cali. I should consider further studies in Stanford lah.. hehehe

Jipster;521892 said:

I recommended this road trip to anyone. Go for it!

I second that. The PCH or Highway 1 is one of the best driving road in the world.

It is worth a drive before you die.

Yes I agree that this is one of them .
I have driven this route several times to LA.

I have also driven across from San Francisco by Route 66 to Augusta, Georgia. Route 66 is just as beautiful and interesting. Do not miss this route if you want to drive across America coast to coast.

The next route that I drove was from San Francisco by Highway 1 to Los Angeles onto Las Vegas onto Salt Lake city onto Denver onto Kansas City onto St. Louis onto Nashville onto Birmingham onto Atlanta and onto Augusta Georgia my last stop.

My next drive was from Augusta Georgia onto Columbia SC onto Richmond NC onto Washington DC onto Baltimore onto Philadelphia onto New York onto Binghamton onto Buffalo onto Negara Falls onto Pittsburgh onto Charleston onto Charlotte onto Asheville onto Spartanburg onto Columbia and finally back to Augusta Georgia.

My next drive I hope to do to cross from San Francisco to Augusta Georgia on the lower States along the Mexican Border, Arizona, New Mexico,Texas, Louisiana,Mississippi, Alabama and Last Georgia.

The other drive that I hope to do is across from Seattle to Augusta along the Northern States of America like North Dakota, Montana, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Will be there in the States in Mid June will most probably drive down to Miami Florida this trip.

Jipster Sorry to disturb your Thread Just wanted to say how much I enjoy driving in America.

no worries Lamoo mate. Driving in the states is made easy by (relatively cheap) car rental, food and accommodations. Everything is in english too which helps. Very do-able for anyone really. Europe is another kettle of fish.... the euro (or pound) and weird languages (outside of the UK) make it more of a challenge :)

lamoo;522128 said:
Yes I agree that this is one of them .
.......to Augusta Georgia.

My next drive ..................................................................... I enjoy driving in America.

Bro there is no need to shout. We can hear (read) you well, lah.

Top Bottom