The best way to protect ABS control unit from the heat of exhaust

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

tweiboon

Club Guest
The best way to protect the ABS control unit from the heat of exhaust is not putting a heat shield to protect the ABS control unit. Heat shield just protects from the heat directly from exhaust. In fact the exhaust is heating up the engine bay and at the same time will heat the module even install the heat shield.The best way is open a hole on the top of the ABS control unit or you can do as what 1 our bro (BMW23) did. BMW23 changed the bonnet and the bonnet itself has 2 big holes. The holes blow the fresh way directly to ABS control unit and also blow into engine bay. Meaning engine will not hot and ABS control unit will be cool along the way when you travelling. Really a good idea.

Bro, mind u the bonnet is not cheap, it cost u another piece of ABS module.

bmw7833;704039 said:
Bro, mind u the bonnet is not cheap, it cost u another piece of ABS module.

The cover not cheap is true. U change the cover not only can protect the module also super sport look.....................hehehehehheheheh

No only that, bro BMW23 said the car is lighter,better handling and fuel save................hahahahahahhaha

lighter and better handling...yes all that is true when you have a CF hood and such....

But with that 2 huge slots of air grills on the Vorsteiner hood like the one on BMW23's car...i wonder how can one wash the car without spraying the water into the open slots?

bimmerholic;704176 said:
lighter and better handling...yes all that is true when you have a CF hood and such....

But with that 2 huge slots of air grills on the Vorsteiner hood like the one on BMW23's car...i wonder how can one wash the car without spraying the water into the open slots?

In fact if really open holes for intercooler or need fresh air to cool down other parts it suppose to have a cover like the car which has intercooler using the hole to get fresh air.
For BMW23's car will have abit headache for washing the car.................hahahahahahahh
Then u faster invite BMW23 to join this thread..................hahahahahahaha

Thing is though, lighter does not always mean better.

BMWs are mostly designed with an even 50:50 weight distribution, perfect for handling. Once you start messing out with the weights the handling is not so good anymore.

My suggestion is install the CF hood, and then plonk in the M62 4.4 V8 to even out the weight back for good measure. hahahahah

haywire;704230 said:

BMWs are mostly designed with an even 50:50 weight distribution, perfect for handling. Once you start messing out with the weights the handling is not so good anymore.

My suggestion is install the CF hood, and then plonk in the M62 4.4 V8 to even out the weight back for good measure. hahahahah

Very good suggestion...needs to be highlighted. Racun to the max.

yes i do agree with tweiboon to a certain degree.i have homemade a heat shield from kitchen aluminium and this protects the abs module directly from the exhaust heat.but if the underhood temps build up say,from lengthy KL traffic jams,then this heat shield will no longer function as the abs module will now be subjected to the total underhood temps..akin to putting it in an oven.

i make 6am trips from shah alam to nilai every tuesday,needless to say with zero traffic.when i reach my hse in nilai and as soon as i open up the bonnet,and put my palm on it, the abs module feels just warm to the touch.tis means if the car is in motion,the abs module will basically live very much longer compared to cars stuck in traffic.

or another way is to wrap the whole module in foam like cover like 1 forummer here ...can't remember who..

Sometime raykat engineer is better than BMW Engineer. I personally feel durability factor (at my personal standard) is not in their highest priority. Design working life might be 5 years based on replacement cycle but in our hot and humid weather, it might translate to only 3 years working life. Anyway, design is all about optimisation and balancing of all factors and I have no doubt BMW had achieved with top mark.

One might prolong the life of ABS module by adding heat shield to some extend but IMHO, the natural degrading of the PCB/Transistor due to current flow might not be avoided.

haywire;704230 said:

thumb up !!!! hahahahahaah

If make a hole and install CF Hood on the top of ABS control unit will it has problem when rain water get into the module ?

Open this hole not only can get the fresh air and at the same time can release the hot air from the engine bay as well.

The CF hood does make E39 look much younger. At first glance on BMW23's ride, I thought it was an E46.

Lithium2;704411 said:
The CF hood does make E39 look much younger. At first glance on BMW23's ride, I thought it was an E46.

True, true...........hahahahahhahah

Lithium2;704455 said:
Sounds like you keen to arrange a GB

I dont do GB.

I wonder why ABS control unit for e46 is placed inside left side big hole which directly separated from engine bay and free from the heat from engine bay then e39 is placed near the exhaust. How BMW engineer will comes out with this kind of idea....................hahhahhaaah ............super funny.

1. Make sure no rain
2. Make sure not idling under a tree with a bunch of birds within.

then can drive a car like this...sure maximum cooling

IMAG0217.jpg

my ABS unit went kaput after 9 years. I changed a new one but never bothered to cover it to protect it from the hot air being blown directly at it.Time to DIY..!!

johnj;704651 said:
my ABS unit went kaput after 9 years. I changed a new one but never bothered to cover it to protect it from the hot air being blown directly at it.Time to DIY..!!

9 years is good enough for me...

seewai;704619 said:
1. Make sure no rain
2. Make sure not idling under a tree with a bunch of birds within.

then can drive a car like this...sure maximum cooling

IMAG0217.jpg

If JPJ and police not stopping u then sure is very good idea too somemore very easy to to it.............hahhahahaha

Top Bottom