Test Drive new BMW Efficient Dynamic with Turbo Diesel 2.0

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
i tested both the 520d and 320d.... these cars are awesome, especially the 320d.. very tight car with excellent torque and handling..... if only i have the moolahs.....

Yup.. very nice car indeed. I'm surprised it came with 6 speed too. 258k of moolah to be exact!

Good to see an expanding range of diesel powered models being offered. However, is our diesel suitable for these engines ?

according to them, Euro 2M is okay. Euro 2, not ok...previous turbo diesel model had issues with the Euro 2 but better than the 3-star diesel runners

MSport;464002 said:
Waaah..... very close to 325i timing.

When I was in London recently, I saw a white 325d MSports in the showroom. Didn't look at the specs but I can imagine how much better the numbers would be. And all for about half of what we pay here. Sigh.

I wonder if we will eventually see a wider range of the turbo-diesels here now...

Traveler;464062 said:
When I was in London recently, I saw a white 325d MSports in the showroom. Didn't look at the specs but I can imagine how much better the numbers would be. And all for about half of what we pay here. Sigh.

I wonder if we will eventually see a wider range of the turbo-diesels here now...

It all depends on the diesel quality in this country. Even for petrol engines, if our fuel is up to Euro 4 standard, then there is a likelihood for BMW to bring in the HPI engines.

Mercedes says our Euro 2 diesel is still not suitable for their diesel cars as reported in last week Sunday Times Motoring article. My only reservations on TD is the LONG term effect of Euro 2 on the engine and turbo failure(especially our hot climate) as reported in some foreign car magazines. Other than that, it's a FANTASTIC car!

phantom;470376 said:
Mercedes says our Euro 2 diesel is still not suitable for their diesel cars as reported in last week Sunday Times Motoring article. My only reservations on TD is the LONG term effect of Euro 2 on the engine and turbo failure(especially our hot climate) as reported in some foreign car magazines. Other than that, it's a FANTASTIC car!

The diesel on offered here is Euro2M, which is pretty close to Euro3 standard in terms of sulphur content (ppm).

Of course then the BMWs on sale locally is detuned slightly (injector pressure lowered by 10%) to ensure the cars will have no problems here. I believed BMW has done some extensive testing, and was privileged to test drive the 520d about 6 months ago.

As for turbo failure, that is unrelated to the fuel quality. But so far I have not heard of any 135/335, 530d, X5 3.0 that have suffered from turbine failures.

Cheers

Mr President, what about maintenance cost (excludes fuel and tyres) over 100,000KM as compare with it's petrol counterpart? Do we need to top up engine oil as often as the petrol version? Are there many competent mechanics outside who can handle diesel engines after the warranty period ends?

I need to clear these doubts as I'm seriously considering one....

Thanks in advance.

phantom;470570 said:
Mr President, what about maintenance cost (excludes fuel and tyres) over 100,000KM as compare with it's petrol counterpart? Do we need to top up engine oil as often as the petrol version? Are there many competent mechanics outside who can handle diesel engines after the warranty period ends?

I need to clear these doubts as I'm seriously considering one....

Thanks in advance.

Generally, diesel engines last twice as long compared to its petrol. This is due to three reasons namely :-

1) Diesel engine internal components are made stronger - The internal components (forged cranks and rods) are made stronger because diesel is a compression engine (no spark plugs) with the compresssion ratio usually at 16:1 or higher.

2) Diesel itself acts as a lubricant to the internal components - Take few drops of diesel, rub it with your fingers and you will feel it contains plenty of oil (yeah diesel engines are called oil burners! :)). This oil protects the piston and liners as it gets injected into the combustion chamber.

3) Diesel engine produces massive torque with lower rev limit- And as a result, you need not push the engine into stratospheric level to move it. On the highway, at 2.5k RPM will be cruising way above the approved speed limit --> less wear and tear.

As far as I know, there is no oil burning/sludge issue. The only known problem for the 530d launched few years back is mainly due to our poor diesel quality previously. So with Euro2M, it should be plain sailing.

As for mechanics, there are plenty of out there. Diesel engines are much simpler than petrol ones. My mechanic does do diesel ones as well. Saw a 530d getting somework done there last month.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Doubts cleared! ALBundy, thank you very much for your constructive reply:top:

Cheerio!

bought the 320d m sport 2009, i have test drive the 320i and 323i as well, nothing to be compare with this 320d, though the engine is a bit louder but i like the torque, the feeling is totally different from the other 2 models that i have tested, but hopefully the second hand value is not too low when i need to upgrade myself ..at this point i super super love my car!!

I'm actually considering the 320d as well.. just one question,if later on I do decide to remap the engine,will there be any negative impact particularly related to the Euro2M??

Another minus point is that the car lacks the excellent new iDrive.

Otherwise I'm pretty much half sold on the car.FYI also considering the Golf GTi mk6.

Top Bottom