Suspecting Axle & Long-shaft problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

rahizwan

Founding Member
Hi Guys,Wondering if any of you can advice me a good place to rectify & fix this problem..Im feeling some vibration on pedal while on a gradual speed on my car, I can feel it worst when rpm is below 2000. Its feels like something kicking at the bottom back of my car when doing up-hill. car getting/feel heavier offlate. But power wise remain the same when I slam the pedal. Only problem is when slow drive and gradual speed. ***My apology guys if above scenario is a bit confusing or else as that is how i feel. ;) ***Went to check/diagnose( 2 diff places), they are not sure about the faulty as I my self dont knw how to describe the feel when i had one.So they advice me to change both axle & long-shaft as I already overhauled my GB 7mths ago.Quoted me as below:Rear Axle: RM1000 (Second hand item from chop-shop)Long-Shaft: RM2000 (Service/overhaul/re-built my original- item will be send to machine shop for balancing the shaft & later component will be repalced to new one)Labour: RM250Total: 3250Duration: 2 business daysWhat say you?

Have they checked all the nuts and bolts connecting the long shaft? If any of those are loose it can cause vibrations as well. Had that happen on a friend's car before. Alternatively have the rubber guibo on the long shaft checked out as well.

Bolt and nut checked bro, the mech. said nothing wrong with the physical parts. I myself did verify the shaft when they lift up the car. They said could be the inner part problem with the axle and the shaft need to balance back and the long-shaft components need to be replaced as well.

Any good place bro?

You can try asking Lionel. His e36 long shaft was cut and welded before. It was balanced as well and he never had any issues with it.

I'm not so sure about the axle part la bro. Never heard of a faulty axle causing vibrations. They usually just make noise that's all. Maybe you might want to get a 2nd opinion?

Vibration is caused by problems on the bearings or the long shaft coupling, which would eventually lead to an unbalanced shaft which unfortunately cannot be fixed by just replacing the faulty coupling and / or bearings. Our local workshops now have the necessary tools and know-how to slice open & balance up long shafts, so don't worry. Just contact Lionel & ask him where to do la, and get it done.

I had the same problem with my long shaft, change of bearings & the coupling didn't work, and prolonged vibration lead to a cracks on the gearbox solenoids:(

Actually when I did my manual conversion I found out that the center bearing which actually has some bushing surrounding the bearings were all gone. Basically nothing is holding on to the bearing anymore he he. Luckily for me there was no vibrations or anything like that. Maybe my ass no feeling kot... :p

Alvin/loafer,

Thanks guys, im at guang auto kuchai lama, reckon by lionel. Leaving the car for further rectification. Will update further tomorrow.

Thanks again guys!! ;)

eujinee;587950 said:
more light long shaft coupling to me judging by ur scenario...

I have the same feeling too bro, nvm let us wait for the outcome.. ;)

Just wondering whether our udm long shaft can mod a nipper so that it can be pumping the grease in. I did it on my previous Full Time 4WD before on this issue.

Alex5522;588027 said:
Just wondering whether our udm long shaft can mod a nipper so that it can be pumping the grease in. I did it on my previous Full Time 4WD before on this issue.

Not sure, that one u got to check with the pro..

rahizwan;588023 said:
I have the same feeling too bro, nvm let us wait for the outcome.. ;)

bro...try to jack up ur car..go to long shaft coupling...hold the coupling and try to move it up and down side to side....if there is movement..tht is not good...thts wat my mech told me..

eujinee;588563 said:
bro...try to jack up ur car..go to long shaft coupling...hold the coupling and try to move it up and down side to side....if there is movement..tht is not good...thts wat my mech told me..

Thanks bro, will definately try that..

hi hi rahizwan, Did u manage to fix ur problem yet?
I think i having the same problem with you. Been testing to fix here and there now left long shaft or axle. Can pm me the place u fix? and how much?

A bent long shaft could also cause vibes..happy hunting bang

Top Bottom