strut bar for e34

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

525iBoy

Club Guest
Hi,Can some of you guys share your experiences with strut bars in an e34.some people say it makes a diff. others say otherwise.I'm running 245/45/17 Yokohama C-DRives with bilsteins HD shocks and a set of Latz lowering springs.wondering if these struts really help turn it? and improving chassis rigidity on the e34 .. .. or are these just engine jewellery. I noted the original E34 M5 did'nt use a strut bar so I may be somewhat skeptical..thks..

it does help, but the effect not so obvious as BMW have high torsional body strength like proton savvy ( 17,0000 nm/mm )....

But I'm using front Ultra Racing 2 points non adjustable strut bar.....feel much more precise on hard cornering....

it does help....

I can get u the light aluminum alloy bar if u're interested...

How hard to you have to corner to "feel" a difference. and is there some diff on the turn-in as some claim

Yeah.. how much for the light alloy stru bar Fabian? someone is offering me 150 for the Utra-racing which I thnk is a good price....

btW: was it joke about the high torsional strength on tha Savvy. I'll beleive it when I see it. eg. the Gen2 body is SO milo kan like that when parked on a (shallow) kerb the rear doors won't close properly..!! ARGHH my 20 year old e28 did much better!!

Martiin

from my experience, it can be felt already at 100km/hr on certain angles and really felt it at 140km/hr on 30 degrees corners.

put in on.. you will want to go faster in every corner !!

the e34 is a very hard car to upset in the corners...

heheheh... come pass your car to me and i will show you how to wallop corners...

Originally posted by pussy@Jun 26 2005, 10:59 AM
put in on.. you will want to go faster in every corner !!

the e34 is a very hard car to upset in the corners...

heheheh... come pass your car to me and i will show you how to wallop corners...
I know, I know... I now really enjoy attacking the corners (but not all the time, only when it is safe to do so).... :D

Can see the faces of the other drivers when they see this big car swooshing them at the corners. And me? Don't feel a thing and no drama. Quite unlike my ex-Babe which I had to "tip-toe" through the corners at speed.

Originally posted by fabianyee@Jun 20 2005, 04:37 AM
it does help....

I can get u the light aluminum alloy bar if u're interested...
Does carbon fibre strut bars as good as the steel or aluminium ones? :dunno:

for me, the light aluminium strut bar at corners are much better felt in reference to the effectivity.

I thought this topic has been discussed before? Here is what cornering can do to your windscreen :

Originally posted by OSFlanker@Jun 30 2005, 11:25 AM
I thought this topic has been discussed before? Here is what cornering can do to your windscreen :
How nice if this were to happen to my car now.... can claim from insurance and replace my windscreen, but that again, I can easily hasten the process since I drive on Kesas everyday. Just follow the bloody trailers.... :nyehehe: :nyehehe:

The E34 is pretty well built compared to an e36 IMO, after having driving both cars extensively before I took the plunge. As of whether its necessary to install the strut bar, to me its more of a nice to have item. Stock standard, it will take corners better than most cars on the road and the favorite stretch for me is the Kerinchi Link :D

However, I will put install one of my E30 which I think is much weaker and would definitely help to improve the rigidity :)

RGds

Originally posted by ALBundy@Jun 30 2005, 11:43 AM
The E34 is pretty well built compared to an e36 IMO, after having driving both cars extensively before I took the plunge. As of whether its necessary to install the strut bar, to me its more of a nice to have item. Stock standard, it will take corners better than most cars on the road and the favorite stretch for me is the Kerinchi Link :D

However, I will put install one of my E30 which I think is much weaker and would definitely help to improve the rigidity :)

RGds
IMO, installing a front strut bar on an E34 may not bring as much improvement as say by installing on an E36. On my ex-E36, I can feel the body flexing (and also hear it from the creeks and groans of the dashboard and doors) while cornering. But on my E34, I felt no discerning body flex (but I can hear some soft creaks from my windscreen area, rest of the car is rock solid). Oh well, just waiting for the day my windscreen will crack.

That is why I am still thinking of whether to install the front strut bars or not.

Originally posted by flash@Jun 30 2005, 11:57 AM
IMO, installing a front strut bar on an E34 may not bring as much improvement as say by installing on an E36. On my ex-E36, I can feel the body flexing (and also hear it from the creeks and groans of the dashboard and doors) while cornering. But on my E34, I felt no discerning body flex (but I can hear some soft creaks from my windscreen area, rest of the car is rock solid). Oh well, just waiting for the day my windscreen will crack.

That is why I am still thinking of whether to install the front strut bars or not.
there's only 1 way to find out whether the strut bar works...
Put in, drive for 1 week... whack ur usual corners. feel the difference,

Remove and see whether u will feel the difference... whack the same corners... the limits would be lower without the strut bar.... ;)

Top Bottom