straightline stability issues

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

supergripen

Club Guest
:dunno: hey guys..its common knowledge that the e46 has straightline stability issues.steering feels unstable at speed in a straightline and u hv to hv both hands on the steering. :D are there any solutions that cud rectify this shortcoming? wud installing a good aerokit from say mtech or AC do the trick?

You can play around with tyre pressures which is what AB svc center does to reduce the left pull. Also applicable for RHD E36's.

Originally posted by supergripen@Jun 10 2005, 08:57 AM
:dunno: hey guys..its common knowledge that the e46 has straightline stability issues.steering feels unstable at speed in a straightline and u hv to hv both hands on the steering.
:D are there any solutions that cud rectify this shortcoming? wud installing a good aerokit from say mtech or AC do the trick?
At speed, you should be having two hands on the steering wheel anyway! :)

Interesting - perhaps we should take a ride in various E46's. I dont find it particularly unstable. And ive taken it to some insane speeds.

Originally posted by 3er@Jun 10 2005, 11:56 PM
Interesting - perhaps we should take a ride in various E46's. I dont find it particularly unstable. And ive taken it to some insane speeds.
:D well its not a big deal actually..its not as if the car is difficult to drive or anything.just nitpicking..but one thing for sure,my e36 was much easier to drive in a straight line requiring less corrections.

My previous ride was an E36 also and i dont find either much different.

Originally posted by supergripen@Jun 9 2005, 07:57 PM
:dunno: hey guys..its common knowledge that the e46 has straightline stability issues.steering feels unstable at speed in a straightline and u hv to hv both hands on the steering.
:D are there any solutions that cud rectify this shortcoming? wud installing a good aerokit from say mtech or AC do the trick?
hi.. what kind of speeds are you referring to? 180? 190? 240?

my opinion..

1) get shorter springs
2) stiffer shocks
3) low profile tyre setup (or is it high profile? the one with lower formula, heh)

and if u are really a speed freak, then get
4) front splitters and/or spoiler
5) gt wing
6) wide body

those would only be useful at very high speeds. but seriously, they work!! am really thinking of putting my gt wing back on.. a LOT more improvements over the stock boot lid spoiler..

p/s: dude, u drove e36 m3 previously.. surely u know these things.. :rolleyes:

hmmm..dunno man.mine feels a tad different.its a common trait of all e46 if u've read any car mags they say the same thing..that the e46 has this vagueness at speed.
here's what autocar has to say about the e90's handling traits.."the high-speed nervousness of the e46 has been exorcised,the e90 tracks straight and true even after the 200kph mark"
"steering becomes vague and light at higher velocities.it becomes a practice in dexterity just to keep the e46 tracking in the middle of the road,.."-autocar
at the corners there's no problem though..in fact,its the best of all the 3ers.

Originally posted by supergripen@Jun 11 2005, 12:32 AM
hmmm..dunno man.mine feels a tad different.its a common trait of all e46 if u've read any car mags they say the same thing..that the e46 has this vagueness at speed.
here's what autocar has to say about the e90's handling traits.."the high-speed nervousness of the e46 has been exorcised,the e90 tracks straight and true even after the 200kph mark"
"steering becomes vague and light at higher velocities.it becomes a practice in dexterity just to keep the e46 tracking in the middle of the road,.."-autocar
at the corners there's no problem though..in fact,its the best of all the 3ers.
Is that with or without the active steering thingamagic?

supergripen, i had that same problem too when i got my e46. driving fast more that 120km/h feels like car wants to jump here n there. all u have to do is tighten the steering rack. i do it myself. i adjust the steering rack according to what kind of heaviness that i want.

now, 200km/h also can do with 1 hand. no problem with nervousness. nothing to do with tire pressures or spring setting or gt wing or front splitter or stiffer shocks or profile of the tire or or wide body or whatever lah.

don't believe me, try setting your steering rack. u will feel a lot of difference. if u want ur steering to behave like e39 also can....... use your spanar 17. clockwise to tighten n anticlockwise to loosen it....

cannot comment on active steering coz i haven't driven e90 yet.....

Originally posted by eddiefiola@Jun 11 2005, 04:44 AM
supergripen, i had that same problem too when i got my e46. driving fast more that 120km/h feels like car wants to jump here n there. all u have to do is tighten the steering rack. i do it myself. i adjust the steering rack according to what kind of heaviness that i want.

now, 200km/h also can do with 1 hand. no problem with nervousness. nothing to do with tire pressures or spring setting or gt wing or front splitter or stiffer shocks or profile of the tire or or wide body or whatever lah.

don't believe me, try setting your steering rack. u will feel a lot of difference. if u want ur steering to behave like e39 also can....... use your spanar 17. clockwise to tighten n anticlockwise to loosen it....

:D hey bro..i'm not much of a diy guy so u gotta bear with me here.
:dunno: where do i find the place to tighten the rack?? is there a bolt/nut that i can tighten to steady the steering?

Ah! I remember users complaining of "loose" steering in early cars. Later cars (facelift model onwards) had "tighter" steering. No complaints after that.

Ya felt that in my car as well when I got it and was surprised at that the UDM would feel like that. Its a bit vague esp in weight shifts and steering feels a bit rubbery.

Did the M-tech sports suspension upgrade at AB and slapped on the 18" tyre/wheel combo and it really elimiated the vagueness of the car. I have almost forgotten how the stock drive feels like..

I had the steering rack tighten plus M-tech and 17" upgrades too and it helped a lot. It seems like a common pwobwem cos been reading in Euro car mags that E90 has redressed this irritating problem in the E46.

Originally posted by eddiefiola@Jun 11 2005, 04:44 AM

I have the same problem. How do I tighten the rack? :D

kennyg, like i said, use spaner 17, tighten the screw on that steering rack. u must know which screw tau. clockwise to tighten n anti clockwise to loosen.

Top Bottom