Stock rims vs. 17" or 18" sport rims

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

lukesoon

Club Guest
SifusI've got a very basic question (and please point me to right thread if it has been discussed). The question is: if i install new rims 17" or 18" for my 323i would it compromise my performance (read, torque) in any way? If i had to choose, i will go performance over looks. But please enlighten me if there's a solution so my UDM can have both?

Originally posted by lukesoon@Jun 30 2006, 10:59 PM
Sifus
I've got a very basic question (and please point me to right thread if it has been discussed).
The question is: if i install new rims 17" or 18" for my 323i would it compromise my performance (read, torque) in any way? If i had to choose, i will go performance over looks. But please enlighten me if there's a solution so my UDM can have both?
yes bro, this topic has been discuss before

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/inde...=0&#entry141603

hope it helps

Originally posted by lukesoon@Jun 30 2006, 10:59 PM
Sifus
I've got a very basic question (and please point me to right thread if it has been discussed).
The question is: if i install new rims 17" or 18" for my 323i would it compromise my performance (read, torque) in any way? If i had to choose, i will go performance over looks. But please enlighten me if there's a solution so my UDM can have both?
bro, i believe your 323i is running on original 16'. the side of your driver door will have a sticker recommending the correct upgrade size for your car (check if u have the sticker), to double confirm again on the sticker recommended size, u can use online tyre calcutator to determine the correct upgrade size (best to stay within 3% upgrade rule so u wont have much problem on your speedometer and overall diameter). i believe upgrading to 18' that is 2' bigger will not give u much problem if u stay between 3% rule. anyway, yours is a 6 potter with roughly 170HP which i think have adequate power and hence u will not feel any power loss (that is my personal opinion) anyone else care to provide their view?

There was a test done in BMW car mag a few years ago on comparing the performance of an E46 with 17's and 18's (both staggered setup). Conclusion, the BMW on 18s lapped faster than the 17's, and testers gave thumbs on E46's running 18's staggered setup for better surefootedness and overall balance. Of course, they didnt do the KL potholed test in the mag...

Originally posted by E46Fanatic@Jul 1 2006, 07:33 AM
they didnt do the KL potholed test in the mag...
:rofl: Enuff 18inch for me coz getting older. Tyres oso expensive.
Now using 17inch can use better tyres n drive faster.

Originally posted by initialM@Jun 30 2006, 08:07 PM

:rofl: Enuff 18inch for me coz getting older. Tyres oso expensive.
Now using 17inch can use better tyres n drive faster.
getting older huh?.. no wonder my ol'lady can bite yerrr e36.... hahahah

Originally posted by E46Fanatic@Jul 1 2006, 07:33 AM
There was a test done in BMW car mag a few years ago on comparing the performance of an E46 with 17's and 18's (both staggered setup). Conclusion, the BMW on 18s lapped faster than the 17's, and testers gave thumbs on E46's running 18's staggered setup for better surefootedness and overall balance. Of course, they didnt do the KL potholed test in the mag...
agreed man. just upgraded to 18' staggered. didn't really feel significant power loss..can have great looks whilst without sacrificing performance for 18'. i'm not sure whether the same can be said about 19'...i wonder.

I upgraded from 17" t0 18" on my E46 318 valvi. The drop in acceleration was quite noticable, sad to say. Maybe your 323 have enough power .

Originally posted by aramis@Jul 1 2006, 06:47 PM
for me, planning to stay on 17"staggered. :p
i notice u guys always say 17' or 18' staggered, what does staggered mean?

It means rear rims are wider than front. eg front 17x8.5 & rear 17x10.5
this set up meant for rear wheel drive car especially for high power car to minimize wheel spin.

Sifu sifu semua
Danke schun. Seems like 17" is prolly the "safest" choice and best equilibrium between perf & looks. I've another silly question ah. How u guys drive around town with your vehicles lowered? There are so many building carparks with 1ft (joking..) humps. Unless you're telling me you hv to avoid those altogether...
How many sifus out there change their rims, but do not lower their UDMs? Is it a must? :dunno:

It depends on yr preference. For me bigger rims n lowering complement looks n performance. If yr no bodykit install it wouldn't much prob. otherwise get jockey parking :nyehehe:

Originally posted by lukesoon@Jul 2 2006, 02:09 AM
Sifu sifu semua
Danke schun. Seems like 17" is prolly the "safest" choice and best equilibrium between perf & looks. I've another silly question ah. How u guys drive around town with your vehicles lowered? There are so many building carparks with 1ft (joking..) humps. Unless you're telling me you hv to avoid those altogether...
How many sifus out there change their rims, but do not lower their UDMs? Is it a must? :dunno:
thanks for explaning initialM

bro, i am running on 17' now from original 15' without lowering my ride (running on original spring n suspension). the height of the car is same with original height. running great and no regreat. (again depends on your own preference). however, if u r more concern on peformance than look (like me) go for 17' coz 17' still look good and will not effect much on anything. If your original is 195/65/15, the correct upgrade should be 225/45/17 and u will have 0% difference in both diameter & speedo

Originally posted by lukesoon@Jul 2 2006, 02:09 AM
Sifu sifu semua
It's not a must to lower your car after you've changed your rims, but it'll look a whole lot more better and give it that lower aggresive stance. I'm on 17"s but I've a bodykit on so I don't have to lower it even more to achieve that look (Of course can lower for it to looks nicer, but with KL roads...siao ah!).

As for humps, drive very the slowly over them lor. Let the other cars fly over them. Your car after those mods sure look quite nice, give people a few extra seconds to gawk over it. :D

lukesoon, let me relate my experience to you.

My car came with 205/55 R16, enjoyed 6 months for its comfyness and reaching 200kph without an issue. But once driving down from genting and almost lost the car during cornering, i immediately got a 18' with 225/40 profile.

First thing i said after slapping in the 18s, wow so big!! Nice! Had it for one year. Still on stock suspension. But suffer slightly weighty steering, can feel the stones on the road due to thin side walls, acceleration abit slower, and even reaching 195kph now take some time. This is due to larger tyre contact patch = more friction/resistance. BUT is also means HIGH cornering limits :D ...bcos i love corners, it didnt mind some ride quality or acceleration/top speed suffered (how often u hit top speed rite?)

But then one day i hit a bloody pothole with sharp 90 degree edge, even it wasn't very deep, it cracked the rim and blew my tyres. I was using goodyear gsd3 germany tyres, very good rubbers, and it tears my heart (bcos is also expensive :D )

So i opt for 17" with 225/45 profile and been using it for almost a year. Ride has improved a bit, slightly better acceleration but top speed still the same as 18'. Cornering quite the same too.

BUT when i join last friday TT with the gangs, i saw so many lowered E46 and running 18' ..at least!! I was like damn ...shouldnt have gone for 17"!! The racun was so strong that now i'm contemplating to go back to 18' :D

So, i hope now it can help you decide ;)

and btw, since yours is a 323, there's enuf torque and you would probably not feel the difference.

u touched upon performance ...straight-line speed or also cornering? For me, corners thrills me more and it's performance also ma... :D

Top Bottom