Start engine with abnormal sound n vibration

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

naga_v18

Club Guest
HELLO CIFUSI have parked my car for almosts 2 weeks as i was away working offshore,,when i came back..took my car out..after few attempt,i managed to start the car...but its not normal...i allowed it to idle till the tempt reach its normal state..but the car had high vibration,,its something like one of the piston is not firing,,(that jerking) sound,,,then drove the car,,at low RPM it vibrate..tried to ram high,,still same..,,then decided to stop the car/engine,,,restart..then OK...why does this happen,,never happen before...worried of this situation.,pls advise cifus:stupid:

I have encountered similar issue lately, as i left the car unattended for 3 days...now everything runs smoooth again...but i will get it diagnosed today to read the stored error...i already changed my crankshaft n samshaft position sensors....so maybe there is another sensor failing..so, i will clear the error and see if the symptom persists..

naga_v18;749233 said:
HELLO CIFUS

I have parked my car for almosts 2 weeks as i was away working offshore,,

when i came back..took my car out..after few attempt,i managed to start the car...but its not normal...i allowed it to idle till the tempt reach its normal state..

but the car had high vibration,,its something like one of the piston is not firing,,(that jerking) sound,,,then drove the car,,at low RPM it vibrate..tried to ram high,,still same..,,then decided to stop the car/engine,,,restart..then OK...why does this happen,,never happen before...worried of this situation.,

pls advise cifus

:stupid:

JFT63;749238 said:
I have encountered similar issue lately, as i left the car unattended for 3 days...now everything runs smoooth again...but i will get it diagnosed today to read the stored error...i already changed my crankshaft n samshaft position sensors....so maybe there is another sensor failing..so, i will clear the error and see if the symptom persists..

quite simple guys, usually when the car is left alone for a week or less, the oil seals in the engine shrinks, due to no heat, expansion/retraction.
so what happens, is the spark plug top valve gasket will shrink and oil will drip down to the plug well and sits there. when you start the car, oil will cause spark leak into the head, hence the misfiring, even water condensation gets in. Very common in all bmws. dun know about the N54 engines (335i)

when this happens, just change the valve cover gasket with the spark plug grommets gasket too..

For the V8 buddies
i had bigger problem on my e32, since the V shape angle, water gets in every time it rains. did a check that water over flowing from the windscreen bottom gutter, drips onto my V8 manifold cover, then drips down inside to the valve cover, which in turn water slips into the spark plug well.
Problem, was a missing manifold side gasket. another problem, this gasket Not sold as a single piece, but as a whole cover $$$.
solution : put a neoprene rubber, not too bad.

pussy;749352 said:
quite simple guys, usually when the car is left alone for a week or less, the oil seals in the engine shrinks, due to no heat, expansion/retraction.
so what happens, is the spark plug top valve gasket will shrink and oil will drip down to the plug well and sits there. when you start the car, oil will cause spark leak into the head, hence the misfiring, even water condensation gets in. Very common in all bmws. dun know about the N54 engines (335i)

when this happens, just change the valve cover gasket with the spark plug grommets gasket too..

For the V8 buddies
i had bigger problem on my e32, since the V shape angle, water gets in every time it rains. did a check that water over flowing from the windscreen bottom gutter, drips onto my V8 manifold cover, then drips down inside to the valve cover, which in turn water slips into the spark plug well.
Problem, was a missing manifold side gasket. another problem, this gasket Not sold as a single piece, but as a whole cover $$$.
solution : put a neoprene rubber, not too bad.

Oh that explains well bro pussy as i havent changed my valve cover gasket before..i never knew v engines have that issue but it seems that u have a good solution there..thanks for sharing mate

i"ll be away for 2 weeks... n no one's available to help start the engine..
have changed the gaskets recently... should i be concerned??

JFT63;749358 said:
Oh that explains well bro pussy as i havent changed my valve cover gasket before..i never knew v engines have that issue but it seems that u have a good solution there..thanks for sharing mate

When you replace the valve cover gasket might aswell change the Vanos seals.

haywire;749486 said:
When you replace the valve cover gasket might aswell change the Vanos seals.

Thats the idea Jon......hehe...will do that after the roadtax renewal...now powkai oredy

Top Bottom