Car suddenly sluggish and hesitates (engines vibrates as if it is running on 4-5 cyls

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
dat27,
From the way my mech did it was very easy to DIY.
1) take out the 2 plastic covers with the stripes and the 1 with the BMW letters
2) unclip the coil springs and pull each lead and loosely attach them. Start the car
3) While engine is running unplug one each and see if the engine makes any difference or not. If the affected coil is faulty it would make no difference but if the coil is good the engine will vibrate more or even cut-off due to low power.
4) Once you have identified the affected coil(s) take them out with only 2 screws size 10 (IIRC) and swap with the good ones just to confirm by repeating step 3).

Then replace the coil(s) as necessary and reverse from step 2). If you need to then re-run the diagnostics at any workshop with the OBD scanner. I was charged RM80 for that.

Hope you would solve your problems soon. My mech is an honest guy. He actually specializes in Pugs and Cits but I have known him for more than 10 years. He knows his stuffs. Can give him a try at Taman mayang. Leon Auto . His name is Raju.

hi zib,
my problem is a little bit different from u, the problem(shaking like running with 4/5cylinders) occur only sometime.
when it occur, i switch off the engine and switch on it again, it will become normal.no more shaking.
i may not suspect the coils because i had changed all 6 coils already since this problem happened.
btw can u refer this problem to your mechanic. maybe he got the idea.

cheeers

btw, i lived in Kelantan, there are not so many professional mechanics here.

dat27;693955 said:
hi zib,
my problem is a little bit different from u, the problem(shaking like running with 4/5cylinders) occur only sometime.
when it occur, i switch off the engine and switch on it again, it will become normal.no more shaking.
i may not suspect the coils because i had changed all 6 coils already since this problem happened.
btw can u refer this problem to your mechanic. maybe he got the idea.

cheeers

btw, i lived in Kelantan, there are not so many professional mechanics here.

I think you need to plug in the diagnostic computer and it should list all the problems. Then reset and drive for a while and if the problem returns, then that sensor maybe due for a change.

My suspicions are the oxygen sensors, emission control sensors and other fuel/air mixture related sensors.

cheers

late update,solved this problem,its the wiring that connect from the ecu to the coils got burn

dat27;761136 said:
late update,solved this problem,its the wiring that connect from the ecu to the coils got burn
how did u find the real culprit? from diagnostic result?

Having the exact same problem as dat27, suspected the air flow sensor at first.

Thanks for the tips guys, going to get it fixed this week, will update on this thread.

Hi guys. I have the same problem with my e39, 525i 2001. The problem first started when I reached 120 kmh. The car just lost power, had to stop, switch off the engine and start back in 5 min. The problem kept no happening until i changed coil no5. The problem is now back again. I am still looking for a solution..... now with constant loss of power.

ruban;762318 said:
Hi guys. I have the same problem with my e39, 525i 2001. The problem first started when I reached 120 kmh. The car just lost power, had to stop, switch off the engine and start back in 5 min. The problem kept no happening until i changed coil no5. The problem is now back again. I am still looking for a solution..... now with constant loss of power.

How long after u changed the coil no 5 before the symptoms came again?

The car should be ready today, will see if the poroblem is solved. will update you guys accordingly..

My fren e39 M54 530 have d same problem, diagnotic test shows coil #6, already changed all coil, ok for a while then problem recur, in between she has changed the coil twice ( under warranty), DISA, air intake, spark plug to NGV, funny thing is every time d car go to d work shop, it is ok for a few days, anyway the engine vibration doesn't occur every day but it is getting more n more frequent, this has been going on for 2 years until I decided to help her to change d CCV ( I though CCv could contribute to vibration n also because d car consume little bit oil, during the repair i found out that d throttle body is missing 2 screws, maybe some mechanics forgot to screw back, I believe that d missing screws r the main reason for d vibration....as d engine got hot, d leak must hv contribute to d vibration but i don't know y it always pt to coil #6, anyway d car has no more vibration after d repair n consume less fuel too! went for diagnostic after 1 week, test result.. no fault code!!
So before u spend big, check all your connection! ensure there is no leak .

Have had this problem twice. The most recent was last Wednesday on the Sprint Highway caught in the 5pm jam. Called my mechanic at M-Sport, he told to pull the car to side of the road and turned off the engine for 5 minutes. Fired the engine after 5 or more minutes and drove to the workshop without a problem.

Did the diagnostics but the results showed no errors. The mechanic pulled out the fuel pump relay above the battery compartment and noticed that the connectors have tints of blue. Changed the relay and so far no problem.

Before this, a year ago, couldn't start the car and diagnostics also showed no errors. Changed the fuel pump and float but problem came back after a couple of days. Change the relay and everything was fine till last Wednesday. Need to carry a spare relay for outstation trips.

Hi bro,

Have you solve this problem?Im facing the same thing...can feel a bit of vibration during idling which happen not everytime.

So far i have change all ignition coil with spark plug and camshaft sensor but this problem still persis

If you dont mind to share what and where do you solve this.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

fazlyzam;850416 said:
Hi bro,

Have you solve this problem?Im facing the same thing...can feel a bit of vibration during idling which happen not everytime.

So far i have change all ignition coil with spark plug and camshaft sensor but this problem still persis

If you dont mind to share what and where do you solve this.

Thanks

Try check your CCV or pressure valve. Sometime it may caused engine to vibrate especially when there is a piping leakage.

zulyus;850670 said:
Try check your CCV or pressure valve. Sometime it may caused engine to vibrate especially when there is a piping leakage.

Thanks for reply,can you recomend me reliable workshop around puchong/subang/pj area to do this.i have enough of my car become a lab rat to some workshop

Top Bottom