Some basic questions about 3 series ..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

dumeort

Club Guest
Sorry for the pros of BMW. I want to ask how to classified E36, e46 and so on ...I bought a bmw 328i year 2000. Ppl told me is E46. What do they mean ? and futhermore there are buttons that i do not know how to use. Any one can let me know to photocopy the manual book ? i think autobavaria wont care. Thankx .Beginner.

I'm no surprised. It doesn't sound cool anymore when it goes past hundred.. like E200, hahahahaha!!!... darn 'em mercedes benz, they certainly thot ahead to spoil BMW's future coding trend!

Yeah, BMW should've started with 3 digit codes like Mercedes-Benz's W codes...its going to be weird once the F codes start. I wonder if there will be an F14, F15, F16...etc (think: fighter jets) LOL

Me in 10 yrs: "I drive an F18" ... :rolleyes:

KL2DC said:
Yeah, BMW should've started with 3 digit codes like Mercedes-Benz's W codes...its going to be weird once the F codes start. I wonder if there will be an F14, F15, F16...etc (think: fighter jets) LOL

Me in 10 yrs: "I drive an F18" ... :rolleyes:

Hahahaha... Cars going at Mach 2? I'll take that!

dumeort said:
thankx alot. do u know where can i get a copy of manual book ?

PM me your email and I will email you a pdf copy (189 pages). I just downloaded MY2000 328i manual from BMW Owner's Circle for you. Its US spec, but it should be mostly applicable to your car...

If I can help anyone else with owner's manual, pls let me know. I think MY2000 or newer at this time...

Thankx alot bro. You are the man!

Can I ask another basic question ?

According to your manual book page 61, stated there when you start you engine, do not warm up your engine in parking condition, instead begin driving immediately at a moderate engine speed. I thought we should warm up our 'whatever' car first then start driving to protect our engine ? is bmw different from others ?

dumeort, do not worry too much about warming up the engine b4 driving, most modern engines (circia 1980's and above) were designed to warm up as they are being driven. Only some hardcore believers still practices the 'kolot' method, hoping to extend the longevity of their engine.

conclusion, it's alright to drive your car immediately. it wont harm your engine. Right?

tq

yes....as long as u dont drive it hard....just maintanin the revs like a normal driving situation...

Glad the owner's manual worked out...

Modern Bimmers's engine management takes care of the warming up. Driving off immediately doesn't mean dropping the hammer right out of the driveway...gentle and moderate driving for the first 10 minutes is ideal (check progress with h2O temp gauge). Extended cold idling is wasteful on gas and doesn't warm up the transmission fluids...

As a rule of thumb, I always start the car first and then fasten my seatbelt, adjust radio, mirrors etc before I start off. I figure that's enough time for the essential fluids to start circulating. In the e90, they laid out a similar recommendation of not warming up. To make matters worst, we do not have any form of water or oil temp gauge...so there really no way to tell when the engine is warmed up, so I fall back to the 10 min rule.

Wanted to add...actually one of the reasons the e90 does not have a water temp gauge as the engine management always ensures the optimum temperature for efficiency. It was agreed that leaving the temp gauge would drive owners crazy with the erratic and frequent fluctuations! Just thought that would put into context this whole 'warming up' the car subject....

no question is truly stupid...

In North America, BMW automobiles are referred to as "beemers". In the United Kingdom the abbreviation 'BM' is widely used. In the rest of the world mainly the pronunciation "bee emm double-u" is used.

To recap:
bimmer is generally accepted slang for BMW cars
beemer or beamer is generally accepted slang for BMW motorcycles although some UK peeps calls BMW cars, beamers as well.

You are truly helpful. :) you are the man.

If you don't mind ... hehe, i check out the manual book. Got one button i really dunno how to use and don't understand although i read it. Page 79. How to use the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) ? For what purpose actually.

we are all here to help one another...

Well to start you off:

DSC ON - This is the default mode the car resets to each time you start it - There are no warning lights on the dash.
This mode has full functionality, DSC will kick in when it encounters any slip, oversteer, or understeer and use any of the systems necassary to keep you safe and driving where you want to. Obvoiusly, it only works within the laws of physics - it can only help soo much

DTC - This comes from pushing the DTC button once - DTC is shown on the dash.
DTC is a "lose" form of DSC - it allows some slippage for an advanced driver, or if you need to gain traction from slipping the tyres such as in slow. If the system senses the driver had lost complete control, it will kick in.

DSC OFF - this comes from holding the button for a few seconds.
All the stability control systems are off. This mode is not recommended unless you are an experienced driver on a race track.

Top Bottom