SMG blues

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Bruce_Z

Club Guest
SMG sifus, My faithful 325i SMG is giving me some worries lately. Its been jerky at slow speed during traffic crawls. AB just "reprogrammed" the thing, but it seems that may not be working. Everytime i change gears it seem a little different...a slight humm is heard sometimes. Any tips? My mileage is approx 90K Kms.

have you had the sensors checked?

gearshifts are actuated by pressure and a hydraulic unit, if any of these in the chain fails/fails to function at optimum levels, you will get these symptoms

worst part is tracing down each and every component as its not easy to diagnose off hand, this diagnosis usually time consuming , or else you may end up changing unneccessary parts

hums if constant are caused by bearings, can easily be diagnose by a competant mechanic, if it goes on and off, usually its the center bearings or rear differential parts, quick fix if its the rear diff would be a thicker diff oil

thanks teejay.

I dont think this has been done. As much as I dont reallty trust AB's knowldege for SMGs , I will ask them to do this. I dont think theres anyone else in the klang vally area that can diagnose the gremlins here.

:)

Helo all senior members,
I'm getting a 325 SMG 02' soon from a 2nd Hand car dealer in Sunway. And the car mileage is only 48K making me doubtful against it.
Can I check the authenticity of the mileage in any of the workshop in KL (AB??) ??
Thanks

shleow;216529 said:
Helo all senior members,
I'm getting a 325 SMG 02' soon from a 2nd Hand car dealer in Sunway. And the car mileage is only 48K making me doubtful against it.
Can I check the authenticity of the mileage in any of the workshop in KL (AB??) ??
Thanks

You can try asking AB, but they may or may not tell you (confidentiality lah blah blah), unless you know someone there...

Base on my experience, if the car year 2002 with recond status the mileage that you had mention is definitely true. The reason behind is, Uk and Japan people seldom use car during weekdays seems their public transportation very efficient and much worth for financial. They usually use car during long holiday for local travel.

Bruce_Z;192423 said:
SMG sifus,

My faithful 325i SMG is giving me some worries lately. Its been jerky at slow speed during traffic crawls. AB just "reprogrammed" the thing, but it seems that may not be working. Everytime i change gears it seem a little different...a slight humm is heard sometimes. Any tips? My mileage is approx 90K Kms.

Maybe your clucth pad worn out or your shifter sensor kaput.

YellowMellow;255284 said:
Maybe your clucth pad worn out or your shifter sensor kaput.

Yup, got it fixed sometime back- its the actuator. New one installend, now its got a 3 year warranty on it, peace of mind.

smg

bruze

hi there

bruze can u tell me which actuator were you referring to...gear shift actuator?
and how much it cost you ?

bcoz i;m having the same problem...and the jerking occurs especially during long traffic jams....and some bmw workshop claim that it's normal for SMG.

regards

ryan

ryan8687;259207 said:
bruze

hi there

bruze can u tell me which actuator were you referring to...gear shift actuator?
and how much it cost you ?

bcoz i;m having the same problem...and the jerking occurs especially during long traffic jams....and some bmw workshop claim that it's normal for SMG.

regards

ryan

Hi ryan,

I cant really remember which actuator it was, but it cost my approx 6k in total for the repair. But with AB, its now got a 2 year warranty on it. Another reason why the jerking could happen is if the trans oil is low. Have a mechanic check the oil level. I know one guy who had this problem and it did the trick.

Top Bottom