Short Trip to Mersing, Paloh & Kluang

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

franklkk

Club Guest
Hi all, this coming March holiday starting from one of weekends (Friday to Sunday). I am planning to drive my family to my old kampong at Jemaluang to visit my relatives. Noon time, I will drive to Mersing to tour around the city, walk along the beach then look for a reasonable 2 to 3 star hotel to stay for a night.Next day, I will drive to Paloh to visit my another relatives. I will stay there throughout the morning. After lunch, I will drive to Kluang to stay at the city for a night (look for a reasonable 2 to 3 star hotel again). As I have never been to Kluang before and I hope my GPS will bring me to explore some shopping centres & tourist attractions.The 3rd day, I will attend my relative wedding lunch at one of the Kluang's restaurant till about 5pm. After that, I will drive back to Singapore by North South highway. Throughout the trip, I will be relying on my Marbella M880 GPS. Can I trust my GPS? :-?I would like to get some advices from the bro & sis here. Is my trip tough for my family? Any suggestion or recommendation such hotel, places to visit, any other routes should I take and the toll charges along the way & back to Singapore.Another issue is that I am driving E90 for the trip. Isn't safe for my car to park at all these places? What are to precaution or things I should look out along the way?Thanks in advanceRegardsFrankie

Welcome bro.

With regards to safety, if you feel concerned about leaving or parking your E90 at such places, then well, it's all in your mind. Perhaps you'd end up being surprised that those areas have even more 'exotic' premium cars there, maybe a proliferation of E60s, Mercs, Audis... Never know right?

But of course, if you really are worried, take precautions. Use a good steering lock, double, triple perhaps; anything to make life difficult for potential car thieves. Park in open areas, not deserted alleys and what-nots, etc.

Anyways, don't let these worries could your mind and distract you from what would be a fun and eventful trip and visiting your relatives!

Drive safe! :top:

franklkk;604831 said:
Hi all, this coming March holiday starting from one of weekends (Friday to Sunday). I am planning to drive my family to my old kampong at Jemaluang to visit my relatives. Noon time, I will drive to Mersing to tour around the city, walk along the beach then look for a reasonable 2 to 3 star hotel to stay for a night.

Next day, I will drive to Paloh to visit my another relatives. I will stay there throughout the morning. After lunch, I will drive to Kluang to stay at the city for a night (look for a reasonable 2 to 3 star hotel again). As I have never been to Kluang before and I hope my GPS will bring me to explore some shopping centres & tourist attractions.

The 3rd day, I will attend my relative wedding lunch at one of the Kluang's restaurant till about 5pm. After that, I will drive back to Singapore by North South highway. Throughout the trip, I will be relying on my Marbella M880 GPS. Can I trust my GPS? :-?

I would like to get some advices from the bro & sis here. Is my trip tough for my family? Any suggestion or recommendation such hotel, places to visit, any other routes should I take and the toll charges along the way & back to Singapore.

Another issue is that I am driving E90 for the trip. Isn't safe for my car to park at all these places? What are to precaution or things I should look out along the way?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Frankie

use common sense. for example, dont park in secluded dark areas. Dont leave ur bags or valuables in view in ur car. Dont leave ur doors unlocked even when u are in the car. Last and this is most important, be AWARE of your surroundings.
You should also ask your relatives as they are locals and they should know the rough areas.
Welcome to Bolehland and have a nice stay. You'll find that the locals are very warm and friendly :)

Hi Frankie, welcome aboard..i'm quite familiar with those places..Hotel Prime City in Kluang is the best in town u can get,about 3 star i guess.nice food n ambience..Wah u got relation in paloh? I left paloh in 1998 after 15 years residing there..Trust your GPS la, u wont get easily lost..IMHO

Thanks to all the bros for the advice. I have not been driving in Malaysia for almost 10 years. Don't know what are the changes in Malaysia. Therefore, I have to get more info before start my trip with my family. Bu the way, beside JB custom. Which other places that I can top-up my Touch & Go card?

T n G at any petrol kiosk would do ..same time pls keep lotsa small singahporean change case if you plan to speed ...speedtraps

ICEMAN 13;605057 said:
T n G at any petrol kiosk would do ..same time pls keep lotsa small singahporean change case if you plan to speed ...speedtraps

Thanks for your advice. By the way, I will comply to road speed limit wan cos my wife & son safety is paramount important than testing out my top speed. anyone from Mersing? Need more info in Mersing's hotels.

franklkk;605203 said:
Thanks for your advice. By the way, I will comply to road speed limit wan cos my wife & son safety is paramount important than testing out my top speed. anyone from Mersing? Need more info in Mersing's hotels.

Franky bro, I would daresay, sticking to the speed limit on the highways is nigh on impossible. Would probably be too slow and boring. Driving fast doesn't necessarily equate to being reckless bro. I believe you're more than capable of handling such a good car on our roads. :top:

Mersing roads are rather small and full of 'selekoh' with blind spots . Lots of road work as well . Beware of local motorcycles without brake lights . Have a safe journey bro.

Thanks to Eggie86 & shiva73 advice. I did drive to Mersing for quite a number of times (10 over years age). Those road are curving, up & down roads. But, sad to say now age catching up. I think I better be careful. hahaha.......

franklkk;605218 said:
Thanks to Eggie86 & shiva73 advice. I did drive to Mersing for quite a number of times (10 over years age). Those road are curving, up & down roads. But, sad to say now age catching up. I think I better be careful. hahaha.......

Oh yea, 10 years is a long time. You'd be surprised and probably might be appalled at the way our drivers have turned out to be since. Have a safe journey bro.

Eggie86;605219 said:
Oh yea, 10 years is a long time. You'd be surprised and probably might be appalled at the way our drivers have turned out to be since. Have a safe journey bro.

Thanks bro.

Yeah thats the same i meant. When i was driving there back 10 years ago i see many things that i dont wana see. Not to scare you but thats the reality . I worked in kuantan and i frequently use the road from pekan , endau , rompin , mersing , kota tinggi and finally to JB and most of the time i chosse to drive in the evening /nite . Cant tahan the panas lerrr.. Sometimes i stop the car somewhere which i dont know where for a smoke. Trust me .. its like so silent man. As for the road , i will always end up with suprises like , wild boar/cow/buffulo cross , dead dogs , road not paved , new road without white line , lorry fellow driving in the centre of the road , pot holes and the list goes on . That was those days memory when driving with my Ploton Veeraaa.

So far, I only driven in the night once when going back to Sg from Mersing. I a good experience as I learned how to turn on & off the high beam when necessary & not to blind the on coming car. But, I have to admit to quite scary to drive at wee hour.

franklkk;605848 said:
So far, I only driven in the night once when going back to Sg from Mersing. I a good experience as I learned how to turn on & off the high beam when necessary & not to blind the on coming car. But, I have to admit to quite scary to drive at wee hour.

Lesser traffic, but keep an eye for heavy trucks. They tend to use those roads late at night instead of the highways...

Eggie86;606327 said:
Lesser traffic, but keep an eye for heavy trucks. They tend to use those roads late at night instead of the highways...

Thanks for your advice. Yah.. I might need to drive back from kluang to Sg in the night.

franklkk;605203 said:

hi frank....u may stay at seri malaysia mersing ..its near the mersing hospital..or if u prefer the beach u can go to air papan...about 5 km from mersing town towards endau..a few nice chalets there...hope u'll enjoy your trip....

franklkk;606534 said:
Thanks for your advice. Yah.. I might need to drive back from kluang to Sg in the night.

From Kluang you can take the road to Ayer Itam, the road has been widened (4 lanes..can take easily 3 cars in 2 lanes width) and is fairly straight,gentle curves & well lit in some stretches.. Turn off at the toll and you can head down to SG on the North South highway. Slightly higher toll charges but a smooth, comfortable ride back home.

The other way from Kluang to SG is via Rengam,then to Simpang Renggam toll..a darker,more twisty & narrow road passing thru some villages & Palm plantations..this road you gotta be careful of small bikes,livestock etc.,..also lorries tend to use that road to reduce toll..

If you are in Kluang do go to the KTM train station for breakfast..the original & famous Kluang Railcoffee is there,..do try out the Roti Bakar (Toasted Bread) & Nasi Lemak..may have to jostle with ocals but it's worth it.
Hope that helps.

Cheers :)

Top Bottom