Shock Findings on my brand new 320d...Signs of Respray on front bonnet and bumper

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Zarcon

Club Guest
Just got my brand new 320d around a month ago and about a week ago was shocked to find signs of respray on my front bonnet and bumper when i tried to send my car in for polishing.Got a second and third opinion from different places of car polishing/detailing centers and all of them came back with one conclusion; that the front bumper and bonnet has been resprayed.Made a complaint to the dealer and bmw malaysia and after some checks done here and there, as expected, they denied all claims of a respray. Kept insisting that it was purely a bad paintjob with the visible signs of tear drop effects, paint bulge and clogs and fine sands prints.Wanted to share this information with fellow bmw owners and see if anybody has got any previous experience with cases like this and for new owners to remember to check the paintwork and not just take it for granted that things like this do not happen even when purchasing a brand new beemer.Sad to say extremely disappointed...

Photos as attached, got the car from Quill. Got Roland and Godfrey to look into the case but the best they can do for me is a respray on the front bonnet and bumper, which personally i feel just makes the thing even worst.....a respray on a brand new car just doesnt seem like brand new. sigh.

Camera only able to capture the tear drop effect and the paint clogs, cant see the fine sands and the undercoating on front bonnet.

Zarcon;643171 said:
Photos as attached, got the car from Quill. Got Roland and Godfrey to look into the case but the best they can do for me is a respray on the front bonnet and bumper, which personally i feel just makes the thing even worst.....a respray on a brand new car just doesnt seem like brand new. sigh.

Camera only able to capture the tear drop effect and the paint clogs, cant see the fine sands and the undercoating on front bonnet.

:listen:.. luck not with you bro, I guess.
Anyway, a pre-reg car though never left the show room is NOT a brand new car. Whatever impression given, it will and can never be sold as new. That is why a pre-reg unit is cheaper than a brand new car.
Whts best now is to get Quill to commit for a proper paint job at their cost. I believe Mr Godfrey will assist where possible. He can be accommodating at times. Let me know of the outcome bro :39:.

dzuljazz2001;643179 said:
Anyway, a pre-reg car though never left the show room is NOT a brand new car. Whatever impression given, it will and can never be sold as new. That is a pre-reg unit is cheaper than a brand new car.
Whts best now is to get Quill to commit for a proper paint job at their cost. I believe Mr Godfrey will assist where possible. He can be accommodating at times. Let me know of the outcome bro :39:.

Not brand new ma?

Anyway, a pre-reg car though never left the show room is NOT a brand new car. Whatever impression given, it will and can never be sold as new. That is a pre-reg unit is cheaper than a brand new car.

There is pre-reg new i.e. zero/delivery mileage.

IMHO, any car sold in excess of delivery mileage is essentially just a used car.

You can call it pre-reg/demo/whatever.

Gerald 5;643282 said:
Not brand new ma?

:listen: a good sales man will tell you its a pre-reg car with 0 milage. A great sales person will tell you it never left the show-room :4: ... BUT the greatest of them all will tell you, "sir, this is a brand new unit tht had just came out of the box" ..... :stupid:

even if the pre-reg had never left the show-room, it will surely clock some milage going into the show room, rite? :wink: ... like wht kvdavis said, call it wht you want, pre-reg, demo and wht not ... bottom line is, new means new, period! :4:

IMHO... call it what you want (pre-reg or brand new or showroom, etc.), but if records show that it has NEVER been resprayed; it only shows the workmanship that bmw is offering. Moreoever, if a car dealer is honest and does its homework, i believe they should at least make an inspection on their cars before it is sold. But i guess that never happens anywhere...

Anyway, a pre-reg car though never left the show room is NOT a brand new car. Whatever impression given, it will and can never be sold as new. That is why a pre-reg unit is cheaper than a brand new car.

Honestly, he has been helpful in trying to sort this out for me, but "proper paint job" is very subjective to me now. What happens after the new paint job and it shows sign of double colours and such? Hmmm.....

Zarcon;643385 said:
IMHO... call it what you want (pre-reg or brand new or showroom, etc.), but if records show that it has NEVER been resprayed; it only shows the workmanship that bmw is offering. Moreoever, if a car dealer is honest and does its homework, i believe they should at least make an inspection on their cars before it is sold. But i guess that never happens anywhere...

So is it brand new or pre-reg. Is your names the 1st on the reg card?

I have same problem on my ride as well, a tear drop the size of 50cent on my front bumper near the honey comb grill. Made a complaint but nothing been done by dealer, same story told by them. My SA offer me for a respray but I just too much into enjoying the torque of our 'D' and forget about this matter already until I see this thread...:D

Zarcon;643391 said:
Honestly, he has been helpful in trying to sort this out for me, but "proper paint job" is very subjective to me now. What happens after the new paint job and it shows sign of double colours and such? Hmmm.....

A proper paint job is not the same as a respray ... the whole bumper n bonnet needs to be "scrape/sand-paper" off first, then only the spray job. However, if only a respray is done, an expert in polishing (like our yours truly mr kc), your paint work will really look like new ...:top:

It is a very common practice, all car dealers will respray cars with paint defect, stone chip, small but deep dents, scratches etc before delivery, and of course, car dealers will never admit it. I know 2 paint shops handle Hondx and Toyxta cars before delivery. Even if there is a small scratch the dealer will still respray it before delivery.

In your case, you are just being unlucky. Hopefully it has not been involved in accident before.

dzuljazz2001;643496 said:
A proper paint job is not the same as a respray ... the whole bumper n bonnet needs to be "scrape/sand-paper" off first, then only the spray job. However, if only a respray is done, an expert in polishing (like our yours truly mr kc), your paint work will really look like new ...:top:

managed to get dealer to work on the bumper today...."scrape/sand-paper first then only spray on" type of job. will view it as they work on it. car's going into hibernation for a few days there, but got a courtesy car for the time being. i dont think there is any issue with accident as i've checked it with some mechanics and so far all okay there.

Gerald 5;643412 said:
So is it brand new or pre-reg. Is your names the 1st on the reg card?

Name's on front reg card. No dealers name or bracket of old number plate or anything like that. :biggrin: so i would say brand new.

Top Bottom