Selling car myself, should I ask for deposit before test drive

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

gimli

Club Guest
Hi guys,
I am helping my bro sell of his car (I always somehow seem to get suckered into doing car related stuff for my family :66: ). I had a very bad experience when I was selling my own car. It was a nightmare! So many time wasters! One guy had the nerve to ask me to meet up with him twice! after the 2nd time, I never heard from him again. I had to travel far and the guy really trashed my car. I didn't say anything at that time as I thought he was serious. I ended up trading in the car.

Anyhow, long story short, with my bro's car, I was thinking of asking a deposit before the test drive. If the potential buyer has any issues with the car (although there are no issues as the car has been very well maintained), i will refund back the money.

If you think its a bad idea, I would appreciate it you guys could give some other alternatives. Basically I just don't want to let anyone test drive the car unless he or she is serious.

This is what I did.

1) Meet up place always somewhere near my house otherwise I don't bother.
2) Test drive only when the below conditiions aggreed upon
a) The buyer confirm to buy the car on a agreed price.
b) After test drive the buyer can nego the price a little bit more if there are issues with the car that the buyer is not satisfy. Of course whatever issues the buyer raised must make sense.

This is usually I tell the buyer if a test drive is requested.

Buyer: Can test drive ka?
Me: No problem but lets talk about the price first. If we agree on a price then you can test drive.
Buyer: Eh.... 10 cents can ah?
Me: Cannot la... 12 cents la...
Buyer: Wah... too much la...
Me: Ok la 11 cents.
Buyer: Ummmm... ok deal
Me: Good shit. Lets go for a ride.

After test drive.

Buyer: Eh... your steering when turning got sound la.
Me: A little bit la not a big issue.
Buyer: I will have to ask for a discount.
Me: Since the issue is genuine I will give you 1 cents discount.
Buyer: Awesome...
Me: Sweet... how much deposit you are going to pay me now?
Buyer: How about half cents.
Me: Not a problem. Lets go inside and settle the deposit.
Buyer: Yeah...

Just outsource and let car dealer handle it. Otherwise gotta put up with all sorts of people.

Placing a deposit for taking a test drive? For me, I surely won't.

So you rule out some people, maybe those really keen on your car may be wiling to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do u pay deposit for test drive? definitely not.. so why expect others to pay deposit?? if u cant handle it.. listen to canuck

Selling a car on your own is definitely a bit more tedious. I will usually determine the place to meet and not drive somewhere else to meet that potential buyer. As for your question, I would say that it is a deterring factor when someone asks for a deposit before I can test drive their car. I would think twice and only pull out some cash if I'm really really serious (which is a good thing if you think of it). Another thing you can do is test drive the car with YOU being the driver. Good luck with your sale!

Deposit only upon buyer confirmation of buying the car. Test drive is free but only for serious buyers. Or what I have done for my previous car was I drove the car.

But of course with today's crime rates, do be very alert as potential buyer may be a robber.

Any potential issues with the car to be negotiated after the test drive. Repair items to be repaired of shaven off selling price.

All the best.

I always make the buyer come to my place when I was selling my previous car. This will in a way deter non genuine buyer who is after a free drive. Always meet buyer at public places and get a friend to come with you for safety reason. I think it's difficult to collect a deposit before test drive. If you are concern you can tell the buyer that your insurance does not cover third driver and you have to drive the car instead when going test drive.

that's what I did when I was selling my car. problem is once they have test drove the car, I always get the same response, "Let me consider first. i will get back to you in 1 or 2 days". After that, I usually don't hear from them again. I understand that buying a car is a big investment, thats why I don't mind taking the car for inspection at their mechanic's workshop so that there is no question that my car is in good condition.

WHat if I came up with something like this:-

Me: No problem. But lets talk about the price first. Once we have agreed you can test drive the car, provided you can pay me a deposit after the test drive. If there is any issues, you don't have to pay me a deposit. You can also take the car for inspection if it makes you more comfortable.

Acceptable or not??

tamade7 said:
This is what I did.

1) Meet up place always somewhere near my house otherwise I don't bother.
2) Test drive only when the below conditiions aggreed upon
a) The buyer confirm to buy the car on a agreed price.
B) After test drive the buyer can nego the price a little bit more if there are issues with the car that the buyer is not satisfy. Of course whatever issues the buyer raised must make sense.

This is usually I tell the buyer if a test drive is requested.

Me: No problem but lets talk about the price first. If we agree on a price then you can test drive.
Buyer: Eh.... 10 cents can ah?
Me: Cannot la... 12 cents la...
Buyer: Wah... too much la...
Me: Ok la 11 cents.
Buyer: Ummmm... ok deal
Me: Good shit. Lets go for a ride.

After test drive.

Buyer: Eh... your steering when turning got sound la.
Me: A little bit la not a big issue.
Buyer: I will have to ask for a discount.
Me: Since the issue is genuine I will give you 1 cents discount.
Buyer: Awesome...
Me: Sweet... how much deposit you are going to pay me now?
Buyer: How about half cents.
Me: Not a problem. Lets go inside and settle the deposit.
Buyer: Yeah...

I will only test drive a car once I am really serious. Usually after the test drive, I will pay a deposit (unless there is something seriously wrong with the car). But with most other buyers......... they will test drive even if they have no intention of buying the car. this one buyer I encountered was the best, during the test drive, he was complaining about the road tax (my car was 3,000cc). I clearly stated in my ad my car was a 3.0 liter. Why test drive if you cannot afford to pay the road tax??

BTW I know selling the car is difficult. I am just trying to get feedback thats all. Obviously its a part & parcel of selling a car. But I just want to minimize people test driving the car if they are not serious.

alantiong said:
do u pay deposit for test drive? definitely not.. so why expect others to pay deposit?? if u cant handle it.. listen to canuck

thanks bro. i will probably do that.

wingzee said:
Deposit only upon buyer confirmation of buying the car. Test drive is free but only for serious buyers. Or what I have done for my previous car was I drove the car.

But of course with today's crime rates, do be very alert as potential buyer may be a robber.

Any potential issues with the car to be negotiated after the test drive. Repair items to be repaired of shaven off selling price.

All the best.

i will probably try 1 or 2 weeks. After that, if I can't handle it, I will probably pass it to used car.

And I do agree that asking for a deposit before test drive will probably deter 90% of potential buyers. Thats why I am trying to think of a better way, wingzee's idea seems like a good one.
canuck78 said:
Just outsource and let car dealer handle it. Otherwise gotta put up with all sorts of people.

So you rule out some people, maybe those really keen on your car may be wiling to do so.

It took me a year to find a buyer for my previous car. Yes I went through the same experience as well, but I never let anybody test drive the car, especially if they are strangers.

Sometimes it's just fate. Or like the Malay saying, "kena Ada jodoh".

All the best in your sale.

i solute your patience bro! i gave up after 1 month :p
Fadhlan said:
It took me a year to find a buyer for my previous car. Yes I went through the same experience as well, but I never let anybody test drive the car, especially if they are strangers.

Sometimes it's just fate. Or like the Malay saying, "kena Ada jodoh".

All the best in your sale.

ive done a few transactions before and usually it's very very hard when comes to a first timer wanting to buy a BMW. They seems to have read a lot and at times the questions thrown are out of the topic.. So at the first impression shows the creadibility of the buyer himself and you'll be able to justify your viewing.

As for deposit, you may take some proportion but always have a little note signed by both parties and the terms of the deposit stated clearly...for instance if loan not being approved 100% deposit is being returned back with providing proper sighting from the bank etc etc....deposit hold time , deposit for which car / colour / plate number etc etc ...deposit amount should be in a gesture of goodwill and usually serious buyers will come up with at least 3 percent up front.

there are also some bad sheeps that upon collecting deposit, don't honour their sale : reason is due to able to sell at a higher price etc etc ...so the fine line written on the little note should be clear between both parties.

deposit is taken upon test drive , QA , negotaition .... the final stage.

Alternatively, sell it to someone you know, or to a member of BMWCM.

canuck78 said:
How do one outsource it to a car dealer?

..steps i did when i was selling my two previous Z's ..

1) Potential buyer is free to visit and see car
2) Test drive is not possible. What is possible is going to official BMW service center where full check will be performed over all car systems, and that cost some money, potential buyer will pay. If car fails tests, I pay since i was claiming its in order. If car pass, potential buyer pays regardless buying it or not.
3) If test drive is still required , its possible only with me as a driver and byer as a passenger, and it will be some short ride.
4) Take it or leave it.

Bro Ecco. Would you buy a car without a test drive? I know I would not. By not allowing a test drive, you are limiting your chances of selling your car. Unless your car is highly in demand, I would not restrict test drive for any potential buyer. This is just my personal opinion.

hi bro..i know what you mean..i bought my last Z without driving test drive.. also, none of my previous 2 Z's were available to test drive..both sold quickly..thats why official service center plays key role..all systems exist on vehicle need to be checked, including engine compression, exaust gasses, transmission, gearbox, diffs, etc etc, basically, truly truly whole car..if that is not good enough reason, for serious buyer, then i think there is nothing for me to prove in eventual road rage drive, while risking car to be damaged or crashed, without any insurance..so, so, since i know what i was selling, every time, test drive was not an option..

Top Bottom