s14 2.5 engine

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Yes the whole package is really nice. I have to say i miss my car with an s14. it had character.

Yes you can make the engine somewhat bulletproof. But its not mainly due to the climate...its mostly the engine itself.

Yes u can fit a puller fan. You will have to remove the fan clutch (6hp gain) to do so. But if you are probably limited to only a 14inch puller fan.

If you go with a bigger aluminum radiator, then room for a fan will be less...maybe a slimline puller fan.

The oil cooler will help too.

You will need the oil pan baffle. u have to constantly monitor the oil level, if it gets low for just a bit and u run it hard, your rod bearing #3 will go right away.
The rear main seal WILL LEAK!!!

Yes if u get it, i'd suggest replacing everything.
ALL Hoses (upgrade to samco silicone if possible)
Cap/Rotor/Coil/Plugs/Wires
Air intake elbow
Thermostat
Waterpump (always keep a spare - can go anytime)

when i had my s14, i always had all the above spares.

but if its your daily driver and with KL traffic, you'll hate the S14. You also need to upgrade the AC system. It really sucks in the car.

good luck
franklin
(want another s14...of course attached to a car)

Franks dude..... cool. Just researching dats all...... who knows I might get a couple of APs one day :lol:

u want to buy AP from me? hehe...

methink i should be entitle to at least one...hehe :D

Thw S14 engine is certainly an engineering mavel. I have great respect for it yet I am scared stiff about its maintenance costs. I have held off 3 occasions of purchaing the E30M3 becuase of this scare. {Still there!}

If someone offered me an E30M3 with the S50B30 then, I would surely buy it, no question. That US enthusiast Gustav had a flowbench report I downloaded last year. It had similar numbers on the Honda S2000 which actually tried to copy it and made a better flow since the S2000 engine redlines at 8500 rpm. Compared to S14 which, I think is around 7500 rpm ???. Not that sure but certainly no way up to 8500!. The linearity of HP and torque on the S14 is characteristic of its racing heritage at that era. I remember Roberto Rivaglia driving the car when I was in New Zealand in the "80s. I had a cap personally signed by Steve Soper, the driver of the Ford Sierra Cosworth. Man, that thing flies...

Originally posted by E34EuroTouring@Sep 2 2005, 10:15 AM
Thw S14 engine is certainly an engineering mavel. I have great respect for it yet I am scared stiff about its maintenance costs. I have held off 3 occasions of purchaing the E30M3 becuase of this scare. {Still there!}
well dude...u better buy it on your 4th occasion. Where are you located?

Stock redline is below 7500rpm. a chip brings it safely to 8000rpm.
with slide throttle, racing valve springs and etc....can rev till 9000rpm but its a race motor.

I forgot to add...the engine that had the problems were the 2.3L.
The 2.5L engines were better, cause it had oil squirters in the block.

Top Bottom