Run Flat Tires (Need Advise)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
astroboy;272117 said:
This is what I think...

Since tubeless tyres days, I have not done road side flat tyre replacement for all the nails and screws that stuck on my tyres from one inch nail to 3 inches screws.

The reason is simple, as long as the sharp object is still on the tyre, it will slow down the escaping air and in most cases, I can continue to use the cars for days or even weeks!

I make it a point on taking visual inspection on all 4 tyres before getting into the car and drive, every time. If I notice flabby tyres, I will get to a near by petrol kiosk to pump the soft tyres and to see if sharp object stuck on the tyres. If yes, then hit straight to the tyre shop to get them to remove the object and patch the tyre there and then. Done!

As for car pre-fitted with RFT, the tyre pressure indicator still works ma. So u can still monitor the pressure from the cabin and u should get a warning if under inflate. That's the first symptom of suggesting ur tyre might have punctured by sharp object. Get it inspect immediately before its flat.

So really, we don't need RFT, even without spare. Unless ur life is risking people shooting at u with a gun, then better stick to RFT! :D

You have notv experienced a blowout at high speed. I have had it 3 times.

The last one was caused by a 3" wood screw on my almost new 18" dunlop SP9000 whilst doing 180-200kph.

The tire was in shreds. I think even the mobility kit cannot help.

At that time I changed to the spare.

Blowout resistance is one of the more lesser known characteristics of RFT.

I agree with all the observations on the negative points especially the ride quality and the noise.

I often wanted to change over to normal tyres but the lack of space for a spare is stopping me. The prospect of a blowout and having a useless mobility kit is not helping.

During my last blow-out, it occurred before Penag on my way to Perlis. during one raya holidays. I changed the tyre and proceeded to Kangar on the spare which was a 16". I had a very difficult time trying to locate 18" tyres in whole of Perlis and Kedah. I had to truck a set of tyres from Penang after the holidays. I paid a bomb for a set of Sumitomos. The spare at least gave me some mobility. I'm not sure if RFT would help.

I think the negative points of RFT are overpowering its positive points.

Allow me to comment - One of the most influential points for RFT is the high cost (where you can buy 2 non-RFT for the price of 1 RFT). The next in line is probably the treadwear, which is much lower than non-RFTs. Next would be the heavier weight of the RFTs and also the noise. I was made to understand that there is an enforced plastic moulded into the RFTs to support the RFT when it's "flat". Hence, the weight and noise.

However, in terms of value, I believe RFTs outweigh the above. The need to not stop to change tyre (especially when it rains), safety during high-speed blowouts, ablility to still steer the car upon blowout, etc..... Can you put a value to this?

That's why I still changed back to RFTs. Ooh! The wallet hurts terribly :20: , but I cannot compromise on safety when we only have about 4 A4 sized contacts of our beloved UDM with the road for grip.

My 2 sens worth.... :wink:

Well, its true that RFTs are safer than non-RFTs esp in high speed blowout conditions. However, its extremely rare for the common driver and I don't view normal air filled tubeless tires are high as a safety risk. Also, unless all cars you own and drive have RFTs then only are you able to mitigate this risk...

High speed blow off eh!? heard many.. I even heard the wheel is over taking the bimmer.. yes! its own wheel, came of, rolling and overtaking its own car! Yes! the bimmer is on 3 wheels!

I also heard tyre surface completely flew off, just the side walls remaining, just like in the F1.. :eek: these are time where the spares are valuable..

Those who frequent interstate runs at deserted hours, the spare or RFT can be a life saver.. I totally agree!

I have got 2 tow truck or road side assistance numbers ready stuck on my windshield. That would be my closes alternative to spare wheel.. :( .. at least something..

Didnt want to mention about cost cos someone's else is paying.

Brothers,

My first gen RFT 17 inch will soon need replacement. I have read all the recommendations to change it to non-RFT. However, I have also heard that the new generations of RFT is much softer and does not provide such a harsh ride.

Any recommendations on which brand and model is available in Malaysia? What are the price range we are talking about?

Appreciate advise.

People talking about harsh ride on their RFT, but I'm happy with my Stock RFT ( Dunlop DSST) under my 530i. Staggered front 245/40/18 and rear 275/35/18 produce smooth and comfort ride with awesome handling and control on both dry & wet surface.

I'll stick on this tyre for my next replacement. Not sure about the availability of this tyre in our local market.

astroboy;413854 said:
High speed blow off eh!? heard many.. I even heard the wheel is over taking the bimmer.. yes! its own wheel, came of, rolling and overtaking its own car! Yes! the bimmer is on 3 wheels!

I also heard tyre surface completely flew off, just the side walls remaining, just like in the F1.. :eek: these are time where the spares are valuable..

Those who frequent interstate runs at deserted hours, the spare or RFT can be a life saver.. I totally agree!

I have got 2 tow truck or road side assistance numbers ready stuck on my windshield. That would be my closes alternative to spare wheel.. :( .. at least something..

Very true, I almost had a blowout on my e90, with CSC3 (made in Germany, coz a friend recommended - German car must use German tyres). Just 3 seconds after tyre pressure warning came out, the car was riding on the rims, very scary. Luckilly wife not driving at that time. But ride very much more comfortable and quieter using CSC3, that agreed. But sometimes, security must come first especially with women driving UDM.

I'm on my 3rd set of RFTs now... safety, convenience, handling!!! tried non RFT and immediately went back to RFT the next day... big difference in handling...

and especially if you have a flat during midnight or during rain it is certainly more convenient to have RFTs where you can continue driving and not exposing yourself to danger by the highway or dark road or getting yourself wet... somehow after using 3 sets of rfts which include oem dunlop, continental csc3 rft and now bridgestone re050 rft, i still like the rfts that came with the car ie. Dunlop for its superior handling and surefootedness... think they no longer produce them...

i've only tried (and still using) the bridgestone re050 RFTs - the tayar wall is damn hard wei hehe kinda bumpy - but ya handling is not bad.. anyways jus wanna ask how were da other RFTs?? compared 2 re050?? better / worse?

Many talked about changing tyres by the side of the highway, dark roads, under the rain etc etc. Why not just call AAM or AXA or whatever and get your tyres change for free? :stoned:

jsbmw;561700 said:
Many talked about changing tyres by the side of the highway, dark roads, under the rain etc etc. Why not just call AAM or AXA or whatever and get your tyres change for free? :stoned:

RFT allows them continue to drive and reach destination on time to seal the million dollar contract.. rather than seeing the contract falls into the competitor's hand. Time is money for all and of course safety, which is priceless. Stranded in the middle of dark highway, with baby in the car, during long holiday where most roadside assist team are reduced to skeleton staffs is no joke.

When u reach certain status, you would even arrange your family to travel in different flights to mitigate risk.

RFT can protect u from the worst and that's sabotage, u will suffer immediate deflation and culprits are tailing from the back in cold blade parangs, getting ready to rest their parangs on your neck, the moment u pull over.

astroboy;561766 said:
RFT allows them continue to drive and reach destination on time to seal the million dollar contract.. rather than seeing the contract falls into the competitor's hand. Time is money for all and of course safety, which is priceless. Stranded in the middle of dark highway, with baby in the car, during long holiday where most roadside assist team are reduced to skeleton staffs is no joke.

When u reach certain status, you would even arrange your family to travel in different flights to mitigate risk.

RFT can protect u from the worst and that's sabotage, u will suffer immediate deflation and culprits are tailing from the back in cold blade parangs, getting ready to rest their parangs on your neck, the moment u pull over.

HAHAHHAHA, bro, im selling lorries and car tyres. No need worry, i never use the RFT cause i can call my workers to fix for me. Out source service mah. Actually, dont think too much. Sometimes we cant avoid such thing from happend. As long we maintain our car nicely and do inspection b4 going for long distand.

On my experienced, i checked my oil, water, bushes every 3 weeks or 1 month. Rim and tyres will checked weekly basis. Thats how i minimise the chances of break down.

astroboy;561766 said:

Yes, I agree with astroboy. I dont drive much becoz most of the time I am not in M'sia. My wife drive the car with my kids, I just want them to be safe from any problem as astroboy said. I dont expect my wife to change the tire, or do the tire filled up on the side of the road by herself. Or worst case while waiting for the road side assist, someone else with parang knocking the car window. I want her just to go home and go to the tire shop the next day.

Yes, it is more expensive than non RFT but how could you place a price for the safety of your family.

The harder side wall will result in less roll. But its too heavy for my liking because when fitted to the 4-potter, getting up to 200kph is a long wait.

My X3 will soon have to have a set change.... ouch! I am still debating RFT or non RFT....

Top Bottom