Restoring My E39

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Uberalles

Club Guest
Hey guys, Thought I'd start a thread to share my little journey or restoration with my E39, which has been with me for about a month now.My intention with this E39 has always been to get it back (or as close as it can get) to the shape it was in when it left the showroom floor in 2003. A tough job, I know. And quite possibly an expensive one, but I thought it would be worth the effort....;)When I got the car, it seemed to be in pretty good shape, but if my repair bills so far is anything to go by, 6 years does a lot to cars, even ones as solid as the E39. I left my car at my mechanic's place with instructions to "do whatever needs to be done" to get the car up to shape again mechanically. The bill went a little something like this:- Replace fuel float sensor (RM840)- Replace engine & gearbox mounting (RM676)- Oil service, replace air filter,gearbox flush & refill/rear axle flush & refill (RM2616)- Check & replace sticking hydraulic lifters (RM1416)- Replace valve cover gasket (RM125)- Replace front anti-roll bar rod (RM190)- Replace front anti-roll bar bush (RM76)- Replace upper arm bush (RM280)- Replace steering hose mounting bush (RM18)- Replace side rod cover (RM76)- Replace seat frame cover (RM265)Proof positive that E39 ownership requires relatively deep pockets......LOL :DNow with the mechanical bits sorted, I'm turning my attention to the car's bodywork, which has its fair share of scrapes and dents. The previous owner may have taken pretty good care of the car in general, but I don't think he was very diligent with the waxing/polishing nor was he very careful where he parked....;)So now comes the task of shopping for a good place for a complete body respray......any suggestions, guys?

Bro, show us the pic. We will be more excited when seeing all the pic.

Pics of what exactly, bro? The bills? LOL!

Actually posted pics of my ride in the Newbies section when I joined.....nothing has changed so far cosmetically, but here's a pic of my ride, next to the OTHER German legend ;)

Uberalles;573145 said:
Pics of what exactly, bro? The bills? LOL!

Actually posted pics of my ride in the Newbies section when I joined.....nothing has changed so far cosmetically, but here's a pic of my ride, next to the OTHER German legend ;)

Let me know if u want to sell your front bumper..:4:

Uberalles,

Congratulations on your e39 and nice to know that you are restoring it. From the spare parts listed in your above repair bill, I think you have been over-charged for many items.

Hey Herbert...thanks for the heads up. Could you highlight the parts that you think have been priced too high?

Uberalles;573172 said:
Hey Herbert...thanks for the heads up. Could you highlight the parts that you think have been priced too high?

But you have to specify the parts are ori BMW or OEM. The cost include labor?

As far as I know these were original BMW items, except for the hydraulic lifters and engine mountings, which were OEM.
And yeah, all these include labour charges.

Uberalles;573172 said:

- Replace engine & gearbox mounting (RM676)

1. Engine mounting @ RM90.00 x2 = RM180.00
2. Gearbox mounting @ RM 70.00 x 2 = RM 140.00

Total: RM 320.00

- Oil service, replace air filter,gearbox flush & refill/rear axle flush & refill (RM2616)

1. Lubricant oil assuming full-syn 7 litres = RM 350.00
2. 1 pc Oil filter = RM 36.00 (original)
3. 1 pc Air filter = RM 45.00 (original)
4. 1 pc Auto gearbox sump gasket = RM 80.00 (original)
5. 1 pc Auto gearbox filter = RM 45.00 (original)
6. 1 pc Auto gearbox sump gasket = RM 80.00 (original)
7. 6 litre Auto gear oil @RM 55.00 = RM 330.00
8. 1.2 litre Rear axle oil = RM 30.00

Total: RM 996.00

Replace front anti-roll bar rod (RM190) ????
Replace front anti-roll bar bush (RM76)

Why replaced anti-roll bar rod it will never need replacement. Only the bar bush needs replacement.

Thanks Herbert! ;)

Something to take up with Ah Wai at MMG when I see him next! LOL ;)

The oil service itemised bill has a few more items I didn't list (was too lazy to type out the whole thing - it was a full page long!).

The full bill for the RM2616 service went a lil' something like this:

- 7.5 litreCastrol EDGE (RM51 each, RM382.50 total)
- BMW oil filter (RM68)
- Injector cleaner (RM42)
- Windscreen cleaner (RM8)
- Radiator coolant (RM30)
- Air Filter (RM68)
- 1 set 5HP19 filter & gasket (RM145)
- 10 litres Gearbox oil (flush & fill) (RM710)
- Axle oil (RM68)
- Apply body seal (to stop a squeaking noise the door frames were making) (RM350)
- Renew seat frame cover (pass side) (RM265)
- Labour charges (RM480)

Total RM2616.50

As for the engine mounting replacement, the bill listed the price of the engine mounting as RM195 each (x2 = RM390) and the gearbox mounting as RM68 each (x2 = RM136)

As for the roll bar rod, there was a crack (where the bar bends to meet the mounting points) in the front roll bar when they took a look at it.

I agree with Herbert. Price is kinda high. Labor for mounting = rm150?? fuhhhh..

LOL....will have a chat with Mr Mechanic when I go in for my next service....;)
Thank God for this Forum eh? :D

I might as well check with you guys now...how much should I expect to pay for new front shock absorbers for the E39?

Uberalles;573198 said:

I might as well check with you guys now...how much should I expect to pay for new front shock absorbers for the E39?

Labor is around rm250. It is always better to check the price with BA/other named spare part shop if u want to save money.

M Motor Garage near Bdr Tun Razak, Iceman.

Thanks for the bodykit suggestion too, but I'm actually intending to keep my E39 in it's original shape. It's weird, I know, but I actually don't fancy the M-look - LOL!

I've been told about Weng Seng near AB Sg Besi. I hear they're pricey but good. Any thoughts?

Uberalles;573207 said:
M Motor Garage near Bdr Tun Razak, Iceman.

Thanks for the bodykit suggestion too, but I'm actually intending to keep my E39 in it's original shape. It's weird, I know, but I actually don't fancy the M-look - LOL!

I've been told about Weng Seng near AB Sg Besi. I hear they're pricey but good. Any thoughts?

Shouldnt be more pricey compared to the price you paid at MMG? When you dropped off your car there and said "do whatever needs to be done" its like leaving them with a blank cheque.

I'll faint if given that bill to be paid.

Uberalles;573198 said:

Original absorbers (front & rear) for e39 is SACH and price for front absorber is RM1,060.00 a pair. For all original BMW spare parts, you can call Bavarian Auto (03) 7876-5555 as they are the authorised BMW spare parts importer.

Top Bottom