Rear humming noise

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
i've bought a set of longshaft from hakitade today for RM650 and done the fitting at sunway. at first i was so excited that all my long suffering pain will be gone, but eventually the feeling shattered because IT STILL DOSEN'T SOLVE MY FREAKING PROBLEM!! THE FREAKING SOUND WAS STILL THERE...it seem that longshaft is not the problem for me..any idea of what may be the culprit sifus..??

p/s: is it acceptable to have this noise in BMW or i'm over reacting?

bro mielo, i share same disappointment as well today, after changing my real wheel bearing, the sound persists. Changed both sides of bearing, and apparently, upon taking it out, found it to be in good condition (changed it anyway since i ve bought it).
Now, the workshop suggests to check the 'rear gearbox'. Didnt do it right away as planning to do some study first prior doing it. After all, the workshop isnt really an expert in BMW (have to go to the workshop anyway, cause others is far, I am in Kerteh now).
Sigh... was thinking whether the culprit could be long shaft as well. Rear gearbox is something new to me (maybe he s referring to differential?). Haha

Anyway, if i decided to avoid the headache of repairing the rear differential & just replace it, anyone has any idea how much would it cost? new one.

Problem might have been solved by replacing rear differential. Cost me 800 including labor for 2nd hand. So far so good. Doing alignment to see whether minor2 noise completely gone.

Add: Yup, after alignment, the sound is hardly noticeable, as the sound of tyres are much more!

Good price to have it at RM800 installed, last time I changed my drive shaft from half cut...cost me RM1000 for the pair excluding installation

ok i reserve my comment. found a noticeable sound (or vibration) when taking corners. Gonna go and see the mech and see how it goes. Considering that it is a used parts, could not be a good part also. considering to buy new one. will check the price.

azeL_Inc;796688 said:
ok i reserve my comment. found a noticeable sound (or vibration) when taking corners. Gonna go and see the mech and see how it goes. Considering that it is a used parts, could not be a good part also. considering to buy new one. will check the price.

Consider talking to Bro kby88 for his final drive

due to so many try and error, i've decided to put the stop on trying to solve this mystery (for now)..its been freaking 1 year now that the problem still can't be solve..also decided to stop because of expecting new family member this April so need the money for my lil boy..still, if anybody found out the solution to this mystery do give me a pm ya...:burnout:

p/s: frustrated e46 owner..

azeL_Inc;796688 said:

it's getting deeper and complicated like my problem..hehe...2 option that i still haven't venture is 1) changing bushing and mounting for rear sub-frame and 2) bearing (i think la) for gearbox...booth cost a bomb..from a discussion with a mech ive seen, he say that booth longshaft and differential is hardly rosak..and from my experience i come to agree with him..

sorry to hear about your unresolved issue bro. tell you what, if you have time, do come and join us for the coming TTs (normally on fridays). i bet some of the sifus that would be attending could lend an ear and assist, or the least point you to the right direction. we have a great bunch of guys who are enthusiast to say the least.

sincerely hope to see you at the next TT.

gendong;798713 said:
sorry to hear about your unresolved issue bro. tell you what, if you have time, do come and join us for the coming TTs (normally on fridays). i bet some of the sifus that would be attending could lend an ear and assist, or the least point you to the right direction. we have a great bunch of guys who are enthusiast to say the least.

sincerely hope to see you at the next TT.

will try to make it on the next TT...but segan la..mine just pussy cat.hehe..if having a TT please do call/sms me..i can be reach at this number: 019-7772601

mielo86;799369 said:
will try to make it on the next TT...but segan la..mine just pussy cat.hehe..if having a TT please do call/sms me..i can be reach at this number: 019-7772601
There'll be one in putra heights on wednesday night. Do come and join us bro. Refer to the shah alam & klang meet ups thread.

update as 17 Feb 2013

After done some reading on the net, i've decided to take another try to rectify my rear humming problem..i've read some where that suggested the sound maybe caused by dented rims. it's stuck me that the sound first appeared when i swapped my dented rims to the rear..so i have the tyre shop in Banggi to change back my dented rims to the front...and to my surprise, the humming was kinda gone! the noise drop significantly but still can be faintly heard when speed above 110km/h...FYI, the tyre thread swapped back to the rear is kinda botak..so the question here, does the humming caused by the dented rims or the bald tyre?? anyway, I'm kinda relief that my problem can be consider solve! now that i know the source of the problem, the next step is to change my rims and front tyre for safety reason...so now i need help from sifus here whether to change or repair my dented rims, and which to be done first, change tyre or change/repair rims??? :burnout:

mielo86;806941 said:
update as 17 Feb 2013

After done some reading on the net, i've decided to take another try to rectify my rear humming problem..i've read some where that suggested the sound maybe caused by dented rims. it's stuck me that the sound first appeared when i swapped my dented rims to the rear..so i have the tyre shop in Banggi to change back my dented rims to the front...and to my surprise, the humming was kinda gone! the noise drop significantly but still can be faintly heard when speed above 110km/h...FYI, the tyre thread swapped back to the rear is kinda botak..so the question here, does the humming caused by the dented rims or the bald tyre?? anyway, I'm kinda relive that my problem can be consider solve! now that i know the source of the problem, the next step is to change my rims and front tyre for safety reason...so now i need help from sifus here whether to change or repair my dented rims, and which to be done first, change tyre or change/repair rims??? :burnout:

My guess is the root cause can be the balding tires. Tires nearing the end of their lifespan (ie. balding or harden due to age) can cause humming noise. Dented rims are more likely to cause vibration more than noise.

Just get the rims checked and repair if required. Repair of rims can be as low as RM45 up to RM80 depending on size. Can try Tek Ming Sunway as their workmanship is decent and price is quite reasonable. In some cases, minor bent can only be detected once the tyre been removed.

some question here regarding bro wingzee opinion....if the balding tires cause the sound, then why after changing the more threaded tyre to the back cut down the noise?:hmmmm:
FYI, i do feel vibration on the steering when putting the dented rims in the front.

mielo86;807043 said:
some question here regarding bro wingzee opinion....if the balding tires cause the sound, then why after changing the more threaded tyre to the back cut down the noise?:hmmmm:
FYI, i do feel vibration on the steering when putting the dented rims in the front.

Because the sound is now coming from the back instead of the front? Less audible due to the distance.

hmm, but before changing the bald tyre to the rear, the sound was coming from the back...all this while, the sound always heard from the rear

Top Bottom