Prefer SMG or Manual for E46 M3

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

JKay

Club Guest
Re the SMG gearbox on an E46 M3, I know its down to personal choice, so I am just interested in which you prefer actually and a few reasons why.I've always been a manual person through and through, but after driving an E46 M3 SMG the other day, I liked it a lot, and am seriously considering getting SMG now if I do get one, as opposed to manualThanks

get the SMG box... good for everyday driving....as for the manual, it's a bullet proof box....

pussy;275360 said:
get the SMG box... good for everyday driving...

I thought it was quite alright myself even tho I have only driven it once, but some ppl I have spoken to say its terrible for everyday driving

I didnt drive it in traffic tho

If you want to feel like F1 driver than get the SMG. But most of them in Malaysia is SMG.Manual very few.

car jet

It is good when you are used to the smg gearbox of m3,if you are not used to it,when you drive , the car may feel very very jerking when started changing from gear to gear.

andypoh;275536 said:
It is good when you are used to the smg gearbox of m3,if you are not used to it,when you drive , the car may feel very very jerking when started changing from gear to gear.

Yeah, when I drove one for the first time the other day, it felt very jerky, especially when changing gear, like it took a long time to change, but apart from that, I enjoyed it so much.

Accelerator fully down, shifting with the paddle shift, made me feel great :rock:

bro,

For the price we pay, for the SMG, is worth the technology. Get it before Proton starts to have it!!!>.hahaha...

i mean, 800milisec for fastest gearshifting mode...well, tht faster then my brain cell neuron electrostatic tranmitting time if u ask me if i like M3 or M5.....ahhaa
SMG!!

Get the smg gear worth it and it's personnal touch..jercky need time to adapt as soon u get the feeling.....man it;s leaving in a dream world trust me....estacy bro

I second what the others have said above about the SMG2... just until BMW comes out with the new DSG like box for the e92 m3's :)

I must admit, before I drov one, I was anti SMG andmanual all the way, but after driving it once, fell in love. Was jerky, but I suppse I'll need to get used to it

I prefer manual.. despite all the super car like Ferrari is going the SMG direction.. :D

Can the SMG car cross floods with keeping the RPM high while moving the at the walking pace? I need that feature for me to survive KL drive.. :D

Sorry.. I a practical man.. :D that keep Toyota besides the UDM.. :D

astroboy;279960 said:
Can the SMG car cross floods with keeping the RPM high while moving the at the walking pace? I need that feature for me to survive KL drive.. :D

Keep the UDM at home larr when its flooding and drive the toyota :D

I can see why you like manual tho as I am agreat fan myself, but I do think this time it might have to be an SMG for my next car :top:

1) SMG.....when theres no traffic jam or road hoggers its good...i always max my accelerator....if not its jerky feeeling (sometimes)

2) Jammed or road hoggers doin 60km/h on a 90km/h, i will imagine i use my golf stick to whack the person in front of me when he stops at the traffic light.

3) I miss Manual for fun but SMG its a thrill

SMGII is twice as fast with quickest shift time of 80 milliseconds vs Ferrari F360 F1 quickest shift time of 150 millisecond (similar to M3 SMGII S2 or A2 mode).
And Drivelogic offers 11 shift-speed choices for different driver need and traffic condition.
Drivelogic mode (1 being the smoother/slower gear change, 6 being the sportier/faster gear change).
A = automatic mode
Available from A1 to A5 mode
S = manual mode
Available from S1 to S6 mode

I believe after a few days of driving SMGII you can manage the jerkiness with the correct shift-speed. And I notice there are people test drive the SMGII without letting go the accelerator pedal when shifting gear like an auto trans. Therefore you can feel the jeckiness. Remember this is a manual transmission equip with SMGII technology, not an auto.
Maybe you will feel it in SMG, but not in SMGII. Most important is choose the shift speed mode you prefer

suprisingly,

i still cant really understand what is the jerky feel in SMGII...to me, it drives perfectly...just my 2 cents though..cheers

HI guys..

Got a few question to clear up my doubt..

- the jerky feeling in the SMG's is more or less the same with alfa selespeed ya? or is it not?

-is it true, they said that maintenance wise, the SMG's gives more headache compared to the silispeed system..any comment?

-cost wise

e.g. for the actuator failure (ALFA 156 selesped) recond cost RM25++, and brand new will be like RM6+++...what about the SMG?.. both for recond unit and brand new..

-one thing abot the silispeed, you cant really tell when is it going south...when it comes, it comes....what about the SMG?.predictable?

Top Bottom