Planning to buy 520i but following this forum is not very encouraging

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

SinghisKing

Club Guest
Hi,I am keen to get a new BMW 520i ( my first BMW) but readin this forum over the last week has left me wondering if its the right thing to do.I keep hearing issues about,1) Poor dealer service - unable to pinpoint issues, takeing long time to resolve issues and sometimes not even acknowledgin its an issue2) Recurring annoying issues like "pulling to the left" that dont seem to be resolved3) RFTs uncomfortable and cost ( although in the test drive it didnt feel uncomfortable)4) BSRI every 25,000km but the car actually needs to be serviced every 10,000km ( i find this very wierd - i initally though BSRI was great value)I really want a trouble free ownership experience (I had a trouble free car for the last 5 years). Any F10 owners out there who have truly had a trouble free experience?Or is this the "manja" of the BMW that one has to live with?Regards

Actually this is a platform for everybody to share their experience, you learn from their good experience too. Not only the problem you mentioned above:wink:.
Issue: 1) You can always seek for higher authority.
2) Not only BMW has this problem. It might be personal standard too.
3) I'll take it as you have no problem with the RFT.
4) It will not hurt you wallet.

So, go for it. It is a good car.

Hillgosh

SinghisKing;771401 said:
Hi,
I am keen to get a new BMW 520i ( my first BMW) but readin this forum over the last week has left me wondering if its the right thing to do.
I keep hearing issues about,
1) Poor dealer service - unable to pinpoint issues, takeing long time to resolve issues and sometimes not even acknowledgin its an issue
2) Recurring annoying issues like "pulling to the left" that dont seem to be resolved
3) RFTs uncomfortable and cost ( although in the test drive it didnt feel uncomfortable)
4) BSRI every 25,000km but the car actually needs to be serviced every 10,000km ( i find this very wierd - i initally though BSRI was great value)

I really want a trouble free ownership experience (I had a trouble free car for the last 5 years). Any F10 owners out there who have truly had a trouble free experience?
Or is this the "manja" of the BMW that one has to live with?

Regards

if u look for a trouble free car, BMW is a big NO to u.

Japanese car will u suit u more, if u insist want a Conti, then VW is quite reliable, using a Scirocco 2.0TSi for 2 years plus, no issue so far except sending in for oil change. my luck maybe !!

SinghisKing;771401 said:
Hi,
I am keen to get a new BMW 520i ( my first BMW) but readin this forum over the last week has left me wondering if its the right thing to do.
I keep hearing issues about,
1) Poor dealer service - unable to pinpoint issues, takeing long time to resolve issues and sometimes not even acknowledgin its an issue
2) Recurring annoying issues like "pulling to the left" that dont seem to be resolved
3) RFTs uncomfortable and cost ( although in the test drive it didnt feel uncomfortable)
4) BSRI every 25,000km but the car actually needs to be serviced every 10,000km ( i find this very wierd - i initally though BSRI was great value)

I really want a trouble free ownership experience (I had a trouble free car for the last 5 years). Any F10 owners out there who have truly had a trouble free experience?
Or is this the "manja" of the BMW that one has to live with?

Regards

Bro really if you are looking for trouble free, than go for Audi or VW, they are anytime better off. BMW is luck and dealers wise, i would say Quill or the dealers in Malacca. These 2, so far have been very reliable with their recommendations. :cheers:

Hillgosh;771450 said:
.....2) Not only BMW has this problem. It might be personal standard too....

I do agree with this point.

BMW owners'/drivers' standards ARE VERY HIGH! We expect the best from a marque that we are passionate about, as we dont just buy cars......

Singhisking - that's why there's this saying that one man's meat is another man's poison :)

I was in the same position a mere month ago and it was by reading the posts on this forum that convinced me to go ahead with the purchase of my brand new 520i!

Gendong really hit the nail there! BMW owners - very high standards, borne out of a passion for driving. And nothing drives better than a BMW, not Merc, not Audi, not VW. Seriously, the E200 is underpowered, the A6 2.0 TFSI is boring and the VW Passat in the latest model is a downgrade in engine capability.

I drive a F10 520i often and it's a Joy. Yes, there was a water valve issue but it wasn't earth shatteringly critical. Ingress sorted it well enough with first class treatment you won't get from lower marques.

As for the other issues, my views are based on experience:-

1) I only encounter this pwobwem with Auto Bavaria. So, don't buy your car there. With Ingress, they are pretty honest in acknowledging a problem and more importantly, often have a solution in hand.
2) I don't have this issue on both the F10 and F30. In fact, I love the latest electronic steering for its accuracy, feel and self-centering ability. It's better in the F30 though cos of its more sorted, balanced chassis. The F10 is a bit less 'agile' in changing direction only coz its heavier and bigger. But on the plus side, it's also plusher and more comfortable. Such an awesome cruiser!
3) I too, have no issue with RFT and can appreciate the added convenience and safety. If its an issue (like in my E92) just change to non-RFTs lah
4) Admittedly, BSRI is a bit of a scam, but are you worse off for it? Think of it as a 50% discount on maintenance costs.

Here's from my experience. My first conti was a Audi A4 and the issues I had with the car
scared the shit out of me and I vowed not to touch Audis again for the rest of my life. Sorry
if I have offended any Audi loyalist here as I'm telling from my experience with the brand.
I then move on to Merc, trouble free for 5 years. Next was my e60 which I'm still driving till
now. After 5 years of ownership, it's still a joy to drive; a feeling a couldn't get from a Merc.
So much so that I brought another Beemer, an F10! I hope l'll have trouble free motoring with
this car too.(touch wood)

Guess I'm a beemerholic now, huh?

smike;771538 said:
Bro really if you are looking for trouble free, than go for Audi or VW, they are anytime better off.

Really? Don't know much about Audi, but been reading a few posts about the DSG problem with VWs. In the end I don't think those two are "anytime better off" than BMW. All brands also have their problems.

Go for F10 no doubt about it. ... want the best of it go for bigger cc. ..i bought a recond 3.0. . 3 weeks car already on the road. .. golf gti and audi. ..kena titik bro. ..F10 rules :rock:

JBJB;771627 said:
Really? Don't know much about Audi, but been reading a few posts about the DSG problem with VWs. In the end I don't think those two are "anytime better off" than BMW. All brands also have their problems.

Have had Audis and VW's in the family before and I can attest to the fact that they are no more or less reliable than a Beemer. Sometimes it's also about your luck because no 2 cars are alike even if they are of the same model. My wife used to drive the B8 A4 and we had zero problems with it. Her good friend who bought the same car at the same time from the same dealer, had endless problems with hers.

The VW we had gave us no problems but have heard of friends who had gearbox issues. At the end of the day, the DSG's are pretty reliable if you buy a VW with the wet clutch system (they come with the 2.0 engines i.e. GTi, Scirocco 2.0. Passat CC 2.0). If you buy the 1.4 engines, you get the dry-clutch DSG's and they are a lot less reliable. IMO, the wet clutch system which was the original DSG system introduced by VW when it first showed up is the more mature system. The same system is used in the Audis (though it is called S-Tronic in Audi speak). The dry-clutch which came later and is only available on the lower specced VWs is still too new and suffers from teething problems. That is why you don't see them putting the dry-clutch system into any Audis at the moment because it is not as "tried and tested" as the wet-clutch system. I digress...

Anyway, my point is when one goes to a car forum to help decide whether one wants to buy a particular car, it is important to remember that forums tend to be one-sided, falling on the negative side. It is not on purpose but that tends to be what forums are for. We come here to share our problems with the hope of finding help and assistance. That is why it will always seems like everyone's complaining about problems with their cars. It doesn't make sense for forummers to post threads that say "Oh goodie, my car is all good and I have no problems so I am starting a thread to talk about how problem-free my car is".

if you got to the Audi and Merc forums, you will see the same trend. Same thing if you go to similar forums in UK, US etc etc.

PS. Interestingly enough, the current C Class also suffers from alignment problems. It seems to be one of the common issues with the car as well. Go check out the Merc forums and read about some of their horror stories of how C&C respond to their complains. If you think AB is bad, wait till you see what happens at C&C... :)

The slight pulling left is most probably due to the standard alignment settings pre-configured with the KDS alignment machine where it's mated for European road surface gradient. All the Euro marque SC uses the same KDS machine. You will notice your left and right camber degree with obvious difference and same for the toe degree. Do the alignment outside and your pulling left problem should be settled once and for all.

During our last visit to Wearnes, our OM here are offered special price for alignment service but I told them the settings are not suitable for our local roads. They ask me to provide my own preference settings and they can set the alignment to my preference.

Hillgosh;771450 said:
Actually this is a platform for everybody to share their experience, you learn from their good experience too. Not only the problem you mentioned above:wink:.

Completely Agree - Thanks

ICEMAN 13;771498 said:
sardarji ...sit on a 6 potter and you'll never look back again ...

Hmmmm...... but a lot of things I am hearing are not to do with the engine? Nevertheless I believe the 6 potter is probably better but for a new car out of my reach for now.

Used to owned brand new Volvo s70, then s60-before opted for E60 and now F10. None of those cars without any teething problem. But nothing can beat the JOY of driving the UDM…..

If you think AB is bad, wait till you see what happens at C&C... :)[/QUOTE]

They are abang adik.

Hi guys,

I'm new here. Tried looking for the right place to post but....

Anyways, I went for a test drive today at AB in Glenmarie. Instantly fell in love with the 520d and immediately placed an order. Their best deal was 5K off or a 1.88% financing. The sales person also gave me a free Vkool tinting. My question:
- I heard they can give more goodies....true?
- also, can we request for a change of rims/tires to the low profile ones used in the 528?

Thanks in advance!

Delivery is 2 weeks. Cant wait!!

Congratulations Chee Yong. You're decisive!
I heard the same deal at Ingress for 520d too. But given its nearing year end I too am hoping they give more. For 520i they are prepared to pre reg and give 5%.
Anyway enjoy and share yor experience. BTW what color combination did u go for?

Top Bottom