'P' light at gearstick still lighted after engine off

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jfoo97

Club Guest
To all the chiefs out there, I have just bought 1999 E39 523i with this situation: The little orange light indicating the 'P' position at the gearstick remains lighted even after I shut off the engine. There is also a very faint whirring sound coming from just below the gearstick.Sometimes the orange light goes off after 2-3 hours, but sometimes it remains on all night. A mechanic I checked with says this is normal for the E39, which i find hard to believe. There was another time the light went off, but when I depressed the unlock button on the key to get into the car, the light came on again.Anybody ever have this problem? Or is this a warning that my gearbox is gonna explode?

e39

on mine it comes on whenever the door is opened or the car is unlocked

mine stays lighted for a while but have not actually timed it to see how long it stays lighted but it will definitely go off everytime.

I am not sure when the light off. But when I left my car, the light is ON and when I went in to my car, the light also on.

my E39 is 2001 CKD 523i.

So it looks like it's common to all E39? Anyone out there who has also observed the same thing? Wonder why it is like that. Tomorrow I go and look for an AB sifu to see what he says.

This is normal. Indicates the vehicle CAN bus system is still active. It will go to sleep mode shutting down all the modules aftter 15 minutes. Ok answer?

wc9922;406373 said:
This is normal. Indicates the vehicle CAN bus system is still active. It will go to sleep mode shutting down all the modules aftter 15 minutes. Ok answer?

and it also will off when u lock ur door. the light will come back when u unlock ur door

Thanks guys. My ex-AB sifu also tells me it stays on for about 20 min after you lock the doors. I'm still monitoring, because it stay lighted all night few days back.

this is normal. It will go into powersave mode after 15-20 minutes. Don't worry.

Top Bottom