Over Inflated Tyres

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

seancorr

Club Guest
Hi all,I accidentally over inflated my tyres recently no thanks for the faulty pump at the petrol station. I sensed something was wrong after driving off and proceeded to the nearest petrol station which was like approx. 3-5km away and was shocked that the meter of the pump read 320-360kpa for my tyres so I immediately let lose the air and correctly pump my tyres to the correct pressure.I'm not sure if my tyres are damaged but so far after a week still okay...anyone else got into this situation before?

seancorr;851614 said:
Hi all,

I accidentally over inflated my tyres recently no thanks for the faulty pump at the petrol station. I sensed something was wrong after driving off and proceeded to the nearest petrol station which was like approx. 3-5km away and was shocked that the meter of the pump read 320-360kpa for my tyres so I immediately let lose the air and correctly pump my tyres to the correct pressure.

I'm not sure if my tyres are damaged but so far after a week still okay...anyone else got into this situation before?

The maximum tyre pressure for GY RFT is 350kpa. So don't go above that to prevent tyre damage. You mentioned 320 to 360 and for short distance, should be ok I guess. If still in doubt, just get a tyre shop to inspect the tyre for you.

seancorr;851614 said:
Hi all,

I accidentally over inflated my tyres recently no thanks for the faulty pump at the petrol station. I sensed something was wrong after driving off and proceeded to the nearest petrol station which was like approx. 3-5km away and was shocked that the meter of the pump read 320-360kpa for my tyres so I immediately let lose the air and correctly pump my tyres to the correct pressure.

I'm not sure if my tyres are damaged but so far after a week still okay...anyone else got into this situation before?

If you pump it 260kPa and when the tyre is hot, meaning you already run some mileage, the pressure will go up, this is common

Shouldn't be problem. Tyre manufacturer has safety factor. Prolong used will wear it unevenly though. The max is for load.

splee;851618 said:
The maximum tyre pressure for GY RFT is 350kpa. So don't go above that to prevent tyre damage. You mentioned 320 to 360 and for short distance, should be ok I guess. If still in doubt, just get a tyre shop to inspect the tyre for you.

Am still monitoring it after that incident. Hopefully the safety factor bro KengKok mention helped it in some way as I only traveled a short distance before letting the extra pressure out.

babybmw, the extra pressure was pumped into my tyres while it was cold as I always pump my tyres before the start of any journey.

- - - Updated - - -

splee;851618 said:

Am still monitoring it after that incident. Hopefully the safety factor bro KengKok mention helped it in some way as I only traveled a short distance before letting the extra pressure out.

babybmw, the extra pressure was pumped into my tyres while it was cold as I always pump my tyres before the start of any journey.

Good idea to keep a tyre pressure gauge, to check the pumps' accuracy. I use a Michelin one. Anyway, doubt our petrol kiosks bother to calibrate their air pumps often enough.

especially the electronic ones... never trust the number.. always have a gauge with you if you eyes are not good in estimating..
\
so far i like to use PCL gauge..

mizhan;851871 said:
Good idea to keep a tyre pressure gauge, to check the pumps' accuracy. I use a Michelin one. Anyway, doubt our petrol kiosks bother to calibrate their air pumps often enough.

- - - Updated - - -

especially the electronic ones... never trust the number.. always have a gauge with you if you eyes are not good in estimating..
\

mizhan;851871 said:

alantiong;851875 said:
\

- - - Updated - - -

\

Bro Alan, where can I buy a PCL gauge?

mizhan;851871 said:

Yeah I now carry my own pressure gauge....do those folks at the petrol stations even bother calibrating it at all?

- - - Updated - - -

mizhan;851871 said:

Yeah I now carry my own pressure gauge....do those folks at the petrol stations even bother calibrating it at all?

Dear Sifus,

sorry to ask noob question, is the tyre pattern for f30 same for front and rear? thinking to swap it due to some circumstances.

Is it true that majority of BMW tends to wear out faster towards the inner part of the rear tyres?

Attached is a picture of my rear tyres previously. Please advise.20161203_124423.jpg

ngiing said:
Dear Sifus,

sorry to ask noob question, is the tyre pattern for f30 same for front and rear? thinking to swap it due to some circumstances.
Type pattern is not an issue for a normal driver. The size matters. If ur an a square setup (means all tyres are the same size) easier for u to rotate them (FR>RL,FL>RR). for staggered setup (rear tyres wider than front) u can only swap R to L.

F10 CREW said:
Is it true that majority of BMW tends to wear out faster towards the inner part of the rear tyres?

Attached is a picture of my rear tyres previously. Please advise.
attachicon.gif
20161203_124423.jpg
Did you do tire rotation?

F10 CREW said:

Attached is a picture of my rear tyres previously. Please advise.
attachicon.gif
20161203_124423.jpg
Normal and expected especially when your rears are wider. If you measure it, the tyres are not actually 90 degrees straight but slanted outwards (bottom). This means there's more ground contact on the inner part of the tyres plus the rear wheel drive, it worns out faster on the inside.

just a newbie question, if its a uni-directional tyre, to ensure even tyre wear, what happens if i swap the rear tyres from left to right so that the outer part will get its chance to play its role on the inner side? Any one has experince on this?

F10 CREW said:
just a newbie question, if its a uni-directional tyre, to ensure even tyre wear, what happens if i swap the rear tyres from left to right so that the outer part will get its chance to play its role on the inner side? Any one has experince on this?
Quick search via google suggest that BMW doesn't recommend tyre rotation (not sure why). I assume you can try it but I also came to know that rotating tyres might cause uneven wear throughout the surface which balancing doesn't necessary resolve.

correct me if i am wrong but proper alignment ensures even thread wear and ensure car travels in a straight line (not pulling to the side) while proper balancing ensure no vibration.

F10 CREW said:
correct me if i am wrong but proper alignment ensures even thread wear and ensure car travels in a straight line (not pulling to the side) while proper balancing ensure no vibration.
You're right but even new tyres are not perfectly round sometimes hence the need for balancing. By rotating the rear wheels only, it may cause the tyres further imperfection hence balancing issue? The rears are obviously wider so I doubt it will evenly wear both sides even if we rotate?
That said, I am not sure but just my 2 cents thoughts :)

Top Bottom