o2 sensor..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ron86

Club Guest
hi guys..im new here.im facing a few problem wif my e36.asking help from all u guys sifu out there..1-sometimes,when im driving,my gearbox will set to 3rd gear only.and wont change to any gears.what i do is turn the engine off for a few seconds,start the engine,then its ok alredy.this happend once in a week..sometimes wont happend in a month.2-when cold,my engine sound so loud..it sound like "klak..klak..klak.." from the front..the sound will be slower when the engine is hot..when i press the paddle,the sound will completely gone..goes to a few foreman,they said its nothing juz the timing chain tensioner..is this true?what bother me much is the porblm num 1.i did goes to diagnose my car..it comes out with o2 heating up sensor problm..wat i know is,the o2 sensor was place at our exaust..rite?can this thing effect my gearbox?:hmmmm2:fyi..my 36 is 320i,six potter wif 5hp18 zf auto gbox..any advice would be aprciated..thanks in advance..:wink:

If O2 sensor has been diagnose as a problem, you should replace it as it affects the performance of your engine and your fuel consumption. My e36 328i has 2 O2 sensors .... one at the manifold and another at the exhaust.

I doubt the O2 sensor affects your gear box. When was the last time you changed the auto tranny filter and fluid? If you have not changed it, I would highly recommend replacing it. It may fix your problem.

Good luck

last month i checked the price for O2 sensor at Bavarian Auto RM500 each. original.

edited: for 328 model

Hi Bro,

I believe that 320i Six cylinder use 2 O2 sensor.I have a set of 2 (Used) but in good condition @ RM600 a pair.

Call: 012-784 9726 Kelvin

Galaxy7;537950 said:
last month i checked the price for O2 sensor at Bavarian Auto RM500 each. original.

edited: for 328 model

Prices from Bavaria Auto for O2 pre-cat sensors - Original BMW RM1,200 per piece (made by Bosch), OEM by Bosch RM 480.00 per piece. Bosch recommend to replace O2 sensors at 100,000 miles. I recently replaced my O2 sensors and fuel consumption and car performance has improved tremendously.

If your mechanic is willing you can periodically clean the O2 sensor as well. Not a hard job just a bit troublesome to get to.

loafer;538669 said:
If your mechanic is willing you can periodically clean the O2 sensor as well. Not a hard job just a bit troublesome to get to.

did not realize O2 sensor can be cleaned. how do you clean it or to be exact, do you use a special liquid/material for the cleaning??

herbert;538675 said:
did not realize O2 sensor can be cleaned. how do you clean it or to be exact, do you use a special liquid/material for the cleaning??

Yeah my mech did it for me before. If I'm not mistaken it's called a CRC cleaner. Same cleaner that can be used to clean MAF also.

Basically just spray the CRC cleaner on the sensor to remove all the carbon and soot buildup.

em..send to my mech this morning..he decide to clean the sensor...dip the sensor in a container filled with petrol.wait for 10 mnutes,then brush with wire brush..finally,blow with an air gun....the sensor was covered with thick carbon..no wonder it doest work..after had done..went to diagnose,and reset all fault..no more o2 heating up error fault...the car now accelerate faster..gear change also better.before this gear change was very slow..my mech said,drive for a few days,then diagnose again..if the error comes up again,then only change the o2 sensor..

kelvinjb;538575 said:
Hi Bro,

I believe that 320i Six cylinder use 2 O2 sensor.I have a set of 2 (Used) but in good condition @ RM600 a pair.

Call: 012-784 9726 Kelvin

320 with six cylinder (m50b20) use only 1 O2 sensor..tq..

Just let me have the part number on your O2 sensor. If mine is the same, i can sell u @rm300 per piece.

Just to confirm isn't the 328i post'95 model uses Siemens(OBDII) instead of Bosch ? and is it 990mm and identical for both header and exhaust?

pardypeople;573177 said:
Just to confirm isn't the 328i post'95 model uses Siemens(OBDII) instead of Bosch ? and is it 990mm and identical for both header and exhaust?

anyone can confirm? :smokin:

loafer;538688 said:
Yeah my mech did it for me before. If I'm not mistaken it's called a CRC cleaner. Same cleaner that can be used to clean MAF also.

Basically just spray the CRC cleaner on the sensor to remove all the carbon and soot buildup.

Bro mind to share did your mech needs special tools to take out the 02 sensor from the car and cleaner ?

Alex5522;582465 said:
Bro mind to share did your mech needs special tools to take out the 02 sensor from the car and cleaner ?

Don't think so. One is at the manifold the other somewhere lower along the exhaust pipes I believe. No special tools just unscrew it.

just beware and handle this O2 sensor with care ....the ceramic structure may crack if it's being mishandled ....

Don't think so. One is at the manifold the other somewhere lower along the exhaust pipes I believe. No special tools just unscrew it.

just beware and handle this O2 sensor with care ....the ceramic structure may crack if it's being mishandled ....

Thanks bro i'm just intent to get my mech to clean it

Top Bottom