NEwbie Potential E46 325 owner requesting urgent opinions

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Jeffry12

Club Guest
Hi everyone! I am Jeffry from KL. I am Newbie and have done introduction in Newbie section. Now posting here coz need to get some urgent feedback from sifus here.. Been following E46 forum some time but only recently registered as previously still not decided to commit to UDM. However, now have decided to take the plunge, no thanks to all the 'racun' from all the sifus I have now committed by paying earnest deposit on a 2005 E46 325i (as advocated by many in the forum). However, I would like to request urgent advice on my impending purchase.. maybe I should have done so BEFORE making the deposit payment, but I was confident it was a good deal... but maybe if need be I am willing to sacrifice the deposit (2K) and consider it payment for a lesson learnt not to be impatient. Anyway, the story is like this: A couple of weeks ago, I found an advertisement from a used car dealer for a 2005, one owner, low mileage (90k+++km), local assembled 325i going for almost 80K (neg). I immediately went to see the car and apparently the dealer had just received it as he was in the midst of polishing, detailing the car. Having had no previous experience with UDMs, I took the forum advice and managed to contact Ah Meng of MSpeed USJ.. I made an appointment with him to check the car the next day which he agreed to. On the appointed time, we went together and he brought along his electronic tester and Laptop after which he proceeded to carry out a check on the car - bodywork and then engine check using electronic tester (dun know what it is called, but he just plugged it into the socket near the console and started the engine).. and was shocked when he told me that the actual mileage was not 90+++ km as claimed by the dealer AND shown on the digital readout but actually 170+++km i.e. the meter had been reset or changed to low mileage one. Another shocker was when Ah Meng told me that according to his computer readout, the engine was manufactured in 2004 as opposed to the registration card which showed 2005?? (dealer still adamant it was 2005 last model E46 325i local assembled). After that, I requested Ah Meng to do a test drive and he obliged, being very professional about it... On completion of the test drive, he told me that the car was OK overall and performance OK except he couldn't tell whether gearbox will have problems or not. However, I decided to check with JPJ on the history of registration since the car carrying relatively new plate... and surprise, surprise, was told by JPJ that actually the car had changed registration number twice (i.e current plate is the 3rd plate) and worse still had already had 3 owners... NOT 1 as claimed by dealer. Went back to adverts (on internet) and did a small analysis... not very surprised when I found that most of the dealer cars for sale invariably advertised ONE owner, LOW MILEAGE (always from 80+++km - 95+++km)...! Went back and discussed with Ah Meng and he told me for that price and year (even though 2004 and not 2005) it was OK to buy as the overall condition and performance was good. So now I would like to ask all the sifus opinion on what to do... on one hand, mechanic is confident it is a good buy, on the other hand I am worried that if dealer not honest on mileage and number of owners, what else could he be hiding? Also the most worrisome for me is the mileage i.e. 170+++ km - is it worth buying? Btw, the dealer agreed to knock off approx 2K from the advertised price and no more. Would really appreciate your feedback as I have a few days to decide while waiting for my loan to be approved... Thanks a lot and really look forward to discourse with you guys/gals in future.

Take your money back la ... This is all misrepresenting to you so many facts.also, check the new hire purchase act amendments, deposits are not fully forfeited ... Also how to forfeit when the car is be reclocked etc? Best to stay away. A lousy car will kill you financially.

Thanks tIANcI for your prompt response. Much appreciated and ur advice duly noted. Has any other forummers had the same experience?

It is quite common that the dealer will adjust the mileage if the car condition (exterior and interior) are good. For an used car, I don't really care what year it was produced. If I want to get the facelifted E46, I have no problem if it is made in 2003 or 2005. As long as the engine, gearbox, exterior and interior, price are all OK. You still gonna spend money to change the parts here and there (like air con,bushes, nose..) after a few months/yrs later, but hope not the major one like engine and gearbox. We really cannot tell whether the engine and gearbox will kaput sooner due to the 170KM mileage. My friend's E46 change the gearbox two times at 70KM and 130KM. But mine was OK even at 140KM. Sometimes it is the problem of the driver/owner, sometimes it is depend on your luck since you do not know the whole history of the car. I bought my E46 and I still spend around 10K to maintain it, some of the parts fail after one year, like air con, steering rack, ABS sensor...
Most importantly, if you really like it then no sorry later on ...

sorry to share frm yr thread,i'm also newbie n need adv frm sifus,i already got one it 2.2 6 cylinder japan spec 2003/2008,car was very standard,milleage also quite ok...below 100k,price 69,500(not nego),standard sportrims,...easy to say tiz car need to spend a lot to become really uummpp...now proceeding on loan,hwer got another also frm mudah ,325i ckd 2003,rims 18 inch,multi function steering,leather seat,nice blue navy color,new headlamp & taillamp ,but milleage more than 200k,as told by prev owner he used to travel a lot kl/singapore,and he keep all service record,gb already chg last 2 years..owner offer me 68k...appreciate yr comments frm all?

hizool;740313 said:
sorry to share frm yr thread,i'm also newbie n need adv frm sifus,i already got one it 2.2 6 cylinder japan spec 2003/2008,car was very standard,milleage also quite ok...below 100k,price 69,500(not nego),standard sportrims,...easy to say tiz car need to spend a lot to become really uummpp...now proceeding on loan,hwer got another also frm mudah ,325i ckd 2003,rims 18 inch,multi function steering,leather seat,nice blue navy color,new headlamp & taillamp ,but milleage more than 200k,as told by prev owner he used to travel a lot kl/singapore,and he keep all service record,gb already chg last 2 years..owner offer me 68k...appreciate yr comments frm all?

Bro Hizool, da comparison u said justifies it bro..2.2 for 69k plus excluding some spending for mods which u would definitely do and 68k for 2.5 with some mods n more power..i wud personally say go for 2.5 ..provided u hv to make sure the car is gud in terms of performance..i myself driving a 2.2 japan spec..hehehe...(but if CKD, den u wont hv the sunroof i guess..kekeke..) try to bring your trusted mech to inspect the car before you decide..i must say the service records the owner has is an added advantage for you to know the car better..if u dont mind, share the link of the add bro..cheers..

Guys have you heard about paragraph??

anyways... like some said if its better to :

a) Go with 2.5 (i knew i made a mistake and spend more $$ to be 2.8 now :p)

b) Inspection, inspection and inspection...get at least several opinion and get the car to be scanned, visual inspection and tested by reputable mech or someone who owns a BMW with a passion.

c) Check with PUSPAKOM / JPJ ... you will never know whats lurking in those "X-Files"

Other than that once you go UDM you never turn back...

Insured By Mafia;740355 said:
Bro Hizool, da comparison u said justifies it bro..2.2 for 69k plus excluding some spending for mods which u would definitely do and 68k for 2.5 with some mods n more power..i wud personally say go for 2.5 ..provided u hv to make sure the car is gud in terms of performance..i myself driving a 2.2 japan spec..hehehe...(but if CKD, den u wont hv the sunroof i guess..kekeke..) try to bring your trusted mech to inspect the car before you decide..i must say the service records the owner has is an added advantage for you to know the car better..if u dont mind, share the link of the add bro..cheers..

Thanks fr adv,here link fr both car...
http://www.mudah.my/BMW+325i+A+-15202465.htm

http://www.mudah.my/BMW+320+i+CBU+2+2+JAPAN+SPEC-12355708.htm

325 looks physically good bro..getting a car directly from da owner is always better..like bro xcrave said, thorough check up is necessary..dat will be favourable for you to decide..

Insured By Mafia;740383 said:
325 looks physically good bro..getting a car directly from da owner is always better..like bro xcrave said, thorough check up is necessary..dat will be favourable for you to decide..
you rite bro,i'm thinking the same....now i'm need to find my finance,do you hv friends or suggestion,which bank is easy and hassle free,i don't mind to travel if there give me good rate...can't wait to hv bimmer under my garage...hahaha

Ask the owner if he has any contact to apply for loan..? dat will be easier for you n the owner to deal..but dun cancel your ongoing loan application yet..i think if your loan is succesful, you can use back the same application to apply for some other car..nt really sure bout that la..need someone to confirm on it..in my experience, RHB n Public Bank application was easier....my advice, dun expect for 100% loan..90% is possible..if im not mistaken,da standard interest rate now is 3.7%..good luck bro...

Thanks for feedback

Thanks guys for useful feedback and info. At this 'critical' stage n mixed feelings (impatient to close deal to end long agony of initial ownership, apprehension whether gonna be stuck with 'lemon', shock when found out that mileage and ownership numbers doctored, relief when mechanic say 'overall seems good and OK', thrill of being so close to drive home one... etc) all feedback and info really much appreciated. Sometimes it seems that we are hoping and looking for moral support from the sifus to say... 'go ahead' to support our heart and to overcome our brain saying.. 'you better watch out... u gonna get burnt'... :)

Anyway, 2 weeks cooling off period already over and still heart rules the day... so, am gonna take the plunge... what the hell, life if full of risks and dangers... and after all the years of hard work and living every day to make sure the family is taken care of, i believe i have earned this little luxury in life... :) Thanks once again to all you guys who have taken the time and effort to reply, to hizool, u are most welcome bro to share thread, to xcrave, sorry about the long write without paragraph.. guess I was too excited... Wish me luck guys and to hizool, best of luck to u too!!!

Bro, have you asked for the registration cards of both cars? Sometime they publish reg 2003 but made is 2001.

Good luck on your purchase ya

geoffreylee...u damn right ,i'm feeling the same way..my friends all ask me to grab...jeffry12:agree 100% with u...u need to hv little adv by people around u but end of the day,u still need to hv yr own feeling...make yr own decision..life is short my fren...:rock:

When in doubt, follow what the heart says...... All the best in your purchase bro. Be it a well tuned machine or a lemon (hope its not, but could still be nursed back to health), may you shower her with lots of TLC and mods.....

p/s Spiderman was told "great power comes with great responsibility", so take heed, set aside some cash for wear and tear, servicing etc. if not used, then mods wld come next hehehe

From my POV, it's much more worth it to get the 2003 325i, provided most parts, engine & gb is in good condition. 200km mileage may seems to be on the high side but for an 9 years old car, pretty common. As long as previous owner able to show proof of maintenance done should be fine.

Just set aside approx. 10% of car value for replacement of wear & tear parts & some preventive maintenance. Spent approx. RM7k just to bring my recently acquired 325i to tip top condition.

And...........

any amount left from the "maintenance fund" above, use 'em for mods! :D

Anyway, should be go with the deal! Pls ask the insurance to buy insured for the engine and gearbox....so that u will drive without worrying

ahban80;740552 said:
Anyway, should be go with the deal! Pls ask the insurance to buy insured for the engine and gearbox....so that u will drive without worrying

Got insurance for gearbox & engine??? Whats the premium like? To thread starter. Its difficult to judge or comment via a thread. Buying is like taking risk especially BMW. If u r not trade in any car is best to buy from direct owner. I give up on dealer long time ago. Not many r honest. Then I cant blame them oso as they normally accept trade in problematic car from owner too. there is a price to pay for Ultimate Driving Machine. I wish you good luck.

initialM;740573 said:
Got insurance for gearbox & engine??? Whats the premium like? To thread starter. Its difficult to judge or comment via a thread. Buying is like taking risk especially BMW. If u r not trade in any car is best to buy from direct owner. I give up on dealer long time ago. Not many r honest. Then I cant blame them oso as they normally accept trade in problematic car from owner too. there is a price to pay for Ultimate Driving Machine. I wish you good luck.

totally agree with bro initialM...me too gave up on dealers..full of bullshits..wen i got my 2.2 japan spec m-sport, da dealer insisted its M3..imagine that..till the end of the deal, he was still insisting its M3..(da ony so called "M3" bout da car was da previous owner installed the side grills with M3 emblem...DATZ ALL M3 BOUT THAT CAR)

but who gives a $#it bout it..i liked da car, so i was listening to all his craps..apart from that, even the CCFL angel eye oso he was claiming it was built in factory setting...arghhhh..!!! i looked at myself in the mirror, really looked stupid for not arguing bout it, but again i wanted dat car..

Top Bottom