New fan clutch is noisy

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

dzeisen

Club Guest
Hi everyone,I just changed my E39 fan clutch at Optimum. It is Sachs. However, after the change, it feels very noisy in the cabin when I rev or accelerate. It's like a big fan overshadowing even the engine sound. I can clearly hear the sound of the fan. Is this normal for a new fan clutch? Will the sound subside after a few days?Thanks!

Sounded more like the fan clutch isn't working.

Got same problem previously though it was being changed for slightly more than a year. Changed it again anyway.

You can do a google search and there is one that tells you how to test whether the clutch is working or not.

When I rev the engine in Neutral, I can hear the fan sound goes in tandem with the rev. Is this normal? According to Jason of Optimum this is normal but I sure don't think so. I don't think BMW is a car where it allows fan noise to penetrate the cabin. Any other feedbacks?

certainly it won't penetrate the cabin if you hv all your windows well shut. But while revving in neutral and when it's really hot (say after a drive), the fan gets louder as the RPM increases. But when the engine's cold, the fan runs independently off the engine RPM. So when u rev in the morning, you only hear the engine note. Mine works that way.

bimmerholic;511989 said:
certainly it won't penetrate the cabin if you hv all your windows well shut. But while revving in neutral and when it's really hot (say after a drive), the fan gets louder as the RPM increases. But when the engine's cold, the fan runs independently off the engine RPM. So when u rev in the morning, you only hear the engine note. Mine works that way.

Thanks bimmerholic... However, let's say the engine is really hot, did you notice that the fan noise penetrate the cabin? Perhaps when you accelerate from a standstill position at a traffic light?

I've did a quick test today. I started my engine when it is cold (left overnight). Upon engine startup, the fan was blowing at full speed. I tried the newspaper test but it failed to stop the fan. I waited for 5 minutes & the fan continued to be blasting at full. It's SACHs brand. Is it damaged? But it's brand new.

bmw7833;512088 said:
Why not go back to Optimum to re-check?

I'll be going back there. I also spoke to Optimum already but they keep insisting that this is normal. I want to be sure & educated enough so that I can tell them that this is not normal.

dzeisen;512087 said:
I've did a quick test today. I started my engine when it is cold (left overnight). Upon engine startup, the fan was blowing at full speed. I tried the newspaper test but it failed to stop the fan. I waited for 5 minutes & the fan continued to be blasting at full. It's SACHs brand. Is it damaged? But it's brand new.

how mucH you pay for this fan clutch? ist for ur car model? i just change my fan clutch last week ( BEHR)
and it look like no problem like you.
p/s: i tot SACH only expert in build the car suspension..

dzeisen,
your new fan clutch is not working as it should.

1. when engine cold (1st start of the day) the fan shud not be clutched.you shud be able to stop the fan with the newspaper.
2. when engine hot.like waiting in jams/traffic lights,if you rev you will be able to hear the fan from the cabin.

the fan shud only clutch (same speed as engine rev) when the engine is hot and not at any other times.don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

moots;512097 said:
dzeisen,

1. when engine cold (1st start of the day) the fan shud not be clutched.you shud be able to stop the fan with the newspaper.
2. when engine hot.like waiting in jams/traffic lights,if you rev you will be able to hear the fan from the cabin.

the fan shud only clutch (same speed as engine rev) when the engine is hot and not at any other times.don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

Exactly how my fan works.

dzeisen;512030 said:
Thanks bimmerholic... However, let's say the engine is really hot, did you notice that the fan noise penetrate the cabin? Perhaps when you accelerate from a standstill position at a traffic light?

You can only hear the fan noise slightly in the cabin when engine is hot. Not as significant as having your windows wind down slightly.

it is normal, your fan clutch is normal. i also using SACHS fan clutch. which start in the morning (overnight) you will hear very loud fan noice. if you want the fan to cut try to rev to about 3k rpm for about 30sec then the fan will cut. when in the hot eg traffic jam the fan clutch will work again then you will hear the fan noice when you rev in 1st gear. after that then fan will cut when you go on normal speed.

Hahaha... We now have 2 different versions from Sewell & Moots. I think a fan clutch should work the same regardless of brand or car make/model. I really feel that it's not normal that the fan clutch should be running at full speed when the engine is cold. Any other feedbacks from esteemed forumers?

Clutch fans SHOULD NOT be running at full speed when engine is cold.

Quote from another website:-

The unique appeal of a refined BMW is the essence of German know-how, style and power. A BMW Fan Clutch attaches to a drive pulley with a clutch, permitting the fan to rotate at different speeds according to temperature conditions. This speed variation minimizes strain on the engine, saving fuel, by permitting the fan to spin quickly when the engine is running hot and slow while the engine is cold. In working BMW Fan Clutches, a calibrated thermostat regulates a valve which manages the flow of fluid between different elements of the car's clutch assembly.

moots;512097 said:
dzeisen,

Thanks moots for your advice...

However, is it possible that the fan clutch is defective upon installation? Or is it possible that the something else could have caused it not to function correctly like the thermostat and stuff.

sewell's description of the fan clutch workings is right on the money.however my description is based on your input where u mentioned that the fan is continously clutched at all times.now this condition is totally not how the fan clutch works.

take a coditiion when the engine is at it's operating temp and the fan cuts in.step on the gas to approx 3k rpm and maintain at that rev.eventually after 20-30 secs later,the fan clutch will de clutch as the engine temp goes down to an acceptable temp.

yes it is definitely possible for a new fan clutch to be defective.if it was dropped where the bimetallic strip sits then it is really possible damage could have been inflicted to it.

the fan clutch works independantly of the thermostat.

my 328 auto also got this fan clutch ka bro? what is the indication i need to change it? price?

haha.. both are right... what is wrong is the manufacturer.. behr operates as moots says, and sachs as sewell says..

i wonder why both manufacturer builds them that way... but Behr is the right way to go, my friends car using the sachs is loud..

hell, anyway it's good to know the clutch is really working... every day rain & jam..

or They raised the tab on the clutch fan to stay full lock...easy to check.. remove the fan shourd, check the tab front of the clutch fan..

Top Bottom